Captioning in any theater idea

RonJaxon

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I posted in this forum that I had an idea that might, would've I'm still pretty sure it still would solve the captioning in theaters problem. The problem I'm referring to is the main reason so many theaters don't have subtitles or CC in their theaters. And that's the matter of not everyone wanting to see them on the screen. Some people are really annoyed by them. So of course theaters have to take that into consideration or they'll lose customers.

Well that idea I had turned out to be to expensive for me to work out. To be honest the technology required to make it work in a theater is over my head so I'd have to pay sometime to do the things to get it working. That's not something I can afford right now.

But I have a new idea. Its not as drastic or advanced as my other idea but it might be a simple solution to look into.

Here's the idea. I'm sure most of you know of rear room captioning. That's great if theaters would actually hand it but most don't.

Now therek it'd an app on my iPhone that can display subtitles. It's called "subtitles" and here's there link to it.
Subtitles for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

This is what it looks like on the iphone screen:
subtitles2.png

Its not the greatest but it does work. It also happens to be free.

You have to download the subtitles and install them in your phone but it does work.

Now this isn't the nest option as is because you'd have to hold your phone in front of your face. That alone its annoying. Not only to you but also to they people sitting near you. Not only that. They might kick you out of the theater because it'll look like you're shooting a bootleg video of the movie.

So here's my ideas to solve those problems.

First of all you'd tell the people at the theater what your doing with this device ahead of time.

Secondly have some kind of stand that you can attach your phone to a seat in front of you so it positions it up in easy ready
Reading height. Some thought will have to go into the design of this "armature" stand but it could work?

And lastly, you attach something to the front of the phone screen that creates a shirt of wall around it. This wall will prevent anyone from being able to see the screen on the phone unless it'd pointing directly at their eyes.

Well, that's my idea. Still needs some more thinking but that's the basis of it. I mean I'd have no trouble using this on older movies in theaters because they are easy to find on line. New release movies would be a problem though. But like I said. It's just the start of an idea I think I'll put some experimenting into.

What do you think?

Ron Jaxon

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT!
Right after I posted this, just 5 minutes ago. I found an article about the subtitle app I mentioned above. Apparently there's some issue with it and apple (Big surprise). Anyway, it was a dollar and now it's free. But, there's fear that it might be removed from itunes soon. So if you think you might ever want it. Get it now. Even if you don't have a use for it right away because it might be gone soon. Just thought I'd share that since I just posted this about the app. You can read more about what's going on with it here: http://abledbody.com/profoundlyyours/2010/05/14/iphone-movie-captioning-app-to-be-shelved/

still don't like idea of going to movie threater. I prefer at home when it's cheap and never miss when I need to go bathroom and avoid the overprice popcorn, snack and soda. heh.

call me cheapskate.

I can understand that. Especially everything in a theater being so over priced.

But there's something magical about the big screen and the experience. And many movies are so much better on that big screen then on a TV or computer screen. A recent example would be Avatar. Or look back to star wars. On a big screen they are just better. :)

Ron Jaxon

Hey Ron, I was thinking of you when I posted this thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/captioning-sign-language-interpreter/85155-subtitle-player-smartphones.html

The problem though, is that it's hard to get subtitle files for new release movies. Only a few seem to be captioned.

I definitely see potential, however, with this idea of using one's smartphone to play subtitles like a rear window device. I think a law should be passed to make ALL movie makers upload a script of their movie, PRIOR TO RELEASE, to some sort of database, which can be downloaded by a program.

One fear is that other patrons in the theater will get annoyed with the iphone, or think the deaf person is being rude and texting while watching the movie. I personally would tell them to just %^$% off, but I know many people aren't as upfront and might not stick up for themselves.

So... hmmm.

as for so no one else could see it.. you could cut one of those computer monitor privacy screens to size. They are just polarized plastic i believe, and relatively cheap.
*EQL*

For the arm, they could just do the same thing they do for the Rear Window but with a place your iPhone/iPod could snap in or something instead of the RW screen thing.

Well you do know that some theaters select a movie a week to have captions right? Although we're drastically limited to the movie we get to see and we gotta use the reflection device, it's kinda better than nothing. My problem is why they can't offer this option for ALL movies in theaters. It doesn't affect people that don't want the captions on the screen and so it's a win/win for everyone. But must cost something too much for the theaters or something since they won't do it.

Back