Capital D Deaf

PS, an easy way to see who is deaf or Deaf on a forum is look at their signature or posts, culturally hearing will often post the exact dates of their CI surgery, DB loss, brand of HA, CI etc. they all obsess on their hearing loss. Deaf just take it as a part of who they are and rarely will discuss such and probably don't even know the exact loss etc.

Your comment made me giggles.

First off I am male not female. My name is Bill/William.

If one DOESN"T accept the paradigm- "cultural/oppression by hearing person" as espoused by SOME "Deaf Militants"-not my problem.

I am still bilateral DEAF notwithstanding if some "Deaf Militants" disagree. To date since December 20, 2006-no effect in my life.

The usual proviso-are "computers comments" REAL? Especially with contradictions!

How ironic- when I joined Alldeaf.com 2 years ago- I didn't much reference to actual dates-was questioned here to when "it" happened. I wasn't born Deaf. Thus "it" does seem to have "some effect " on one's later life. Most of us don't "pick and choose" when DEAFness occurs.At least I didn't,

More discussion in Sociology- culture"deaf"

Sorry for the gender error, anyway is anyone is militant around here, You are on the top of the list with your own agenda whatever that is. The point is you just get off on talking about yourself and did not help out the OP who was asking questions in relation to and ASL class assignment. Being it is a class they are going to want factual info that is currently accepted by academia. I responded as your comments only served to confuse and misguide the OP. Guess what, Every Deaf/deaf thread is not about you! You attack Deaf Culture and Deafies on this forum in just about any thread you post in. referring to us as Deaf Militants etc... there are plenty of Hearing culture oriented forums that are focused on CI's, clinical deafness, restoring of hearing, audism etc... why not post on those instead??? Maybe it makes you feel better about yourself to oppress ASL and Deaf Culture.:cool2:

:lol: ^^^ southpaw, i can understand what you mean.. I think drphil has his own mind in his world. So I repsect him to do whatever he pleases. :) Some of us tried that.

As a matter of fact, I happen to be the Deaf militant. I spoke up for my rights as Deaf person and a Native Elder. I have been fighting for my rights for many years. I struggled being in a hearing world and not shown respect from non-native people, especially the government people.

Suggest one reread post #1- opinions etc re D. who is deaf/Deaf.
As I noted in #7- does one treat DEAF as a condition or "cultural configuration"? Also note: if a hearing person uses ASL accepts that the Deaf has/is being "oppressed" than the label Deaf can be utilized.
Only in ideology/Sociology can this "discussion" seem to "some" "reasonable."
Again Sociology can be interesting at times.

As I noted in #7- does one treat DEAF as a condition or "cultural configuration"? Also note: if a hearing person uses ASL accepts that the Deaf has/is being "oppressed" than the label Deaf can be utilized.

Forget about DEAF as it is screaming at us like yelling.

Next, small letter d for deaf which is a medical term saying that we can not hear in regardless of hearing loss degrees. Get it?

As for D for Deaf is that we use sign language and get involved in the Deaf community. Of course, we are connected to Deaf Culture. Always.

I have been interest in sociology for a long time but that is whole different thing. You still don't get it anyway. No wonder you keep repeating the same thing which is nothing much interest to you or in us at all. Why don't you get off the computer and just go out swimming for pleasure? When you get back, you need a fresh comment on the computer different what you put it in like a violin playing over and over. Time to have a fresh comment for us. So get busy. Only don't repeat. WE All KNOW THAT!!!!! :cool2:

Thought "some members" were ignoring. comments re DEAF. No problem

Oddly enough in the Canadian Sociology textbook I used back in the 80s-Centennial College Toronto- there is NO mention of "Deaf culture".
Aside: Got a B mark on the final exam.

Second unit-The individual in society-culture and social organization.
Sociology, Robert Hagedorn, Holt Rinehart & Winston Canada Ltd. Toronto 1980 626 pages.

I am not confused that I have been bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006 .My audiogram in early 2007-St Michaels Hospital ENT Clinic/Toronto clearly show NO HEARING at 105db.

It is not difficult to determine if one hears NOTHING just SILENCE. My Phonak LL6 was "useless"!

Thus started the process for Cochlear Implant determination-Sunnybrook/Toronto February 4, 2007.
Fortunately successful. Just crossed almost 5 years.

I am still bilateral DEAF-right now! That situation will never change.

I acknowledge the above is NOT written in ASL syntax thus "possible to perceive as obscure".

As always-more discussion "culture/Sociology"

:cool2: I see I understand you are CI, means 0.o!! what are I do

you are not aware it on full 0.o? what are you means ? possible to perceive as obscure ? No idea?

you are serious! you are CI? OP what said ?

Dr.Phil have cochlear implant:? real

Bottesini: Disagreeing on the "cultural ideological "; supposition has nothing to do with whether one "likes/dislikes" Deaf person in general.

The learning of ASL et al is a "judgment call" on how it can actually be used-similar to say learning Spanish etc within one's social encounters. How many languages/sign communications should one learn without the context of time one has?

My Cochlear Implant is highly visible
I don't recall anyone asking in 5 years if I "hearing/deaf"

Cheers again and another 5 hot laps in the pool. Prof Sky sleeping outside at the moment

Bottesini: Disagreeing on the "cultural ideological "; supposition has nothing to do with whether one "likes/dislikes" Deaf person in general.

The learning of ASL et al is a "judgment call" on how it can actually be used-similar to say learning Spanish etc within one's social encounters. How many languages/sign communications should one learn without the context of time one has?

Cheers again and another 5 hot laps in the pool. Prof Sky sleeping outside at the moment

I reading Jim's DEEP Thoughts: ASL Culture versus Non-ASL deaf people look likes 0.o I saw it reading!

Tell Prof Sky to take it easy! This heat is killing.

I think we just don't understand why you always scream DEAF. You can say deaf with CI , and that is an easy description we all know what it means.

As opposed to people who are Deaf with CI, which also exist.

As Frisky said, you aren't hurting anybody, but it is a little weird. We do know your feelings.

It seems the use of DEAF is a bit shorter vs actual " Deaf" (non cultural configuration) using a Cochlear Implant/Non ASL user.Not a follower of the AGBell system either.Not a" deaf Militant" either.

The other "problem" I don't consider the use of DEAF as screaming which seem to subsist in AllDeaf.com.

Unfamiliar with "Jims deep thoughts re ASL etc from 2008. "appears to be a "religious forum"?
Cheers again to all your hounds Bill sksk

It seems the use of DEAF is a bit shorter vs actual " Deaf" (non cultural configuration) using a Cochlear Implant/Non ASL user.Not a follower of the AGBell system either.Not a" deaf Militant" either.

The other "problem" I don't consider the use of DEAF as screaming which seem to subsist in AllDeaf.com.

Unfamiliar with "Jims deep thoughts re ASL etc from 2008. "appears to be a "religious forum"?
Cheers again to all your hounds Bill sksk

Ok. It can just be unique to you. :)

I think I see one area you are confused and mistaken. "Deaf" with a capital D is NOT a synonym for " Oppressed" it is a Cultural identification just like saying you are Canadian or Italian or Black, Hispanic, Chinese etc. sure most minorities experience oppression of one sort of another. those experiences over time by a group contribute characteristics to the cultural identity of that group but it is just one of many shared experiences that creates the identity.

As soon as you think of the word "D"eaf it seems you think of Oppression due to hearing loss a person has and that the person or group exists to rebel or resist the oppression this is completely off base. oppression in Deaf Culture is just a topic like any politics, sports, religion etc that we discuss and will try to infulence changes in the country, majority culture that will be beneficial to us. Just and any business, religion, cultural or political group will do.

Deaf makes me think of ASL and all sign languages that have provided a natural language to deaf persons so they can have a 100% unhindered language to communicate in. Thus the language has bought us together, educated us, created our community, etc. Think of China town or Korea town etc. folks with a common language and culture come together so they can live and interact in an uninhibited community that understands then and their customs, history, interests, experiences etc...

THIS IS WHAT Deaf MEANS.... Maybe DEAF as you yell it, means how you have suffered or been oppressed due to hearing loss, but it does not apply to how we , Deafies use the word or how we intend for it to be defined or understood

PS, Please stop quoting the same 32 year old text book that is totally irrelevant in every other thread you contribute to . the number of pages has nothing to do with the validity of a book. Have you actually read any Deaf History books at all or modern works on Deaf Culture and ASL???? I can quote dozens of books that Identify Deaf Culture that your book missed. Did you book happen to address LGBT culture, Generation X, Y, etc? just because every possible group is not listed in one outdated sociology book, does not mean they don't exist... Most likely your author had never been exposed to Deaf Culture as 32 years ago it was kept quiet from hearing folks... If the author was/ is still alive and was presented with modern academia on why Deaf is a culture I am pretty sure he would agree it is and add it if it were relevant to an updated edition of his text.

Edit: I do have trouble understanding some of Bill's comments do to strange punctuation, fragments and statements that seem to not make any coherent thought. basically every post he made from #50 onward. Maybe I need a DEAF to written English Interperter to translate the DrPhilisms

I acknowledge I have read a "deaf/culture" book-a Journey into the DEAFWORLD. Harlan Lane/ Ben Bahan & Robert Hoffmeister Dawn Sign Press 1996 San Diego.,It was in the Toronto Public Library a few years ago.
I was unpersuaded re ENT doctors "conspiracy" or Cochlear Implants are the instruments of genocide against the "deaf community".
Alleged "oppression by hearing persons" known to "deaf' persons. It seems to me to be "oppressed" one must know "them"=family friends? I don't recall anyone fitting this description

I don't identify "deafness" with :"LGBT etc" culture. Why should I ?

The book-Sociology was actually used back in the eightys- Centennial College Toronto. I have not returned there. No immediate interest in restudying Sociology. More relevant "subject"-Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto. Dealing/Coping with your Hearing Loss.

Next item for consideration- Enjoying your "unretirement" pass 75!

At the present time no personal "content/context" review on multiple comments Worthwhile extended use of time?

aside: that important task assigned to an expert: Prof SKY!

Last edited:
I acknowledge I have read a "deaf/culture" book-a Journey into the DEAFWORLD. Harlan Lane/ Ben Bahan & Robert Hoffmeister Dawn Sign Press 1996 San Diego.,It was in the Toronto Public Library a few years ago.
I was unpersuaded re ENT doctors "conspiracy" or Cochlear Implants are the instruments of genocide against the "deaf community".
Alleged "oppression by hearing persons" known to "deaf' persons. It seems to me to be "oppressed" one must know "them"=family friends? I don't recall anyone fitting this description

I don't identify "deafness" with :"LGBT etc" culture. Why should I ?

The book-Sociology was actually used back in the eightys- Centennial College Toronto. I have not returned there. No immediate interest in restudying Sociology. More relevant "subject"-Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto. Dealing/Coping with your Hearing Loss.

Next item for consideration- Enjoying your "unretirement" pass 75!

At the present time no personal "content/context" review on multiple comments Worthwhile extended use of time?

aside: that important task assigned to an expert: Prof SKY!

you means World News | Deafworld.com ?

how do you know expert to prof sky? I will accurate for you :P

Back