Can you recommend something for me?

Interpretrator

Crime fighter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay, you guys who know about technology: I'm looking for a new phone. I've had my SK2 for two years and I'm tired of it. I keep getting asked "Is that a video game?" by people (not deaf people obviously!) when I'm in a professional context so I need something a little more businesslike, maybe a Blackberry or Treo.

The problem is the SK has everything I want and it's hard to find a phone that has it all. So here's what I need, in order of importance:

1. A full QWERTY keyboard (doesn't matter how small).
2. "Push" email as well as ability to get POP email
3. AIM. (If it's Yahoo instead, that's okay, but it has to have some kind of public IM available, not just "Blackberry IM." It's fine if I have to download it myself.)
4. Does not flip.

Less important, but desired:

5. Can sync with a Mac
6. Ability to view pictures & documents in email
7. Web browser
8. No camera

What do you think?

Treo and blackberry best in this.. im using the blackberry 7290 and its been reall helpful for me as i dont ask for alot, just need e mail and Ramble IM ( aka AIM) and yahoo, thats all i need and thats all i want. and doesn't have a camera i don't need fancy stuff just plain plan and plain phone this way i can text my family, use M3 for calling mom, and checking e mails, and has internet with java script support, thats as basic as i like it.

Treo 650 i heard is best also but i haven't tried it wld like to try that, also, have motorola Q from verizon haven't tried it but looked at it... seems intresting.

so there u have it good luck in your search.

Definatly the blackberry because it has sync support for Mac....Sidekick doesn't. I think it's good enough for you.

I got my blackberry 8700g last week and it totally blows the SK away!!! Better screen, no filmsy flip screen, faster downloads, easier one-hand typing. The 8700g is from T-Mobile and T-Mobile has EDGE wireless coverage which is 4X the rate of GPRS.

The 8700g is Java enabled so you can view animations, such as the weather radar which is so cool!!! It also has a program you can download-Google Maps and you can type in directions and it'll give you turn-by-turn directions using either map mode or satellite view.

You can also download a program (Ramble) and use it for AOL I.M. with no text message charges.

You can have up to 10 email accounts to deliver to your Blackberry.

I am not sure about the sync with a Mac. I sync with my PC. It does not have a camera-why have 1.3 megapixel camera phones while there are digital cameras greater than 4 megapixels.

Hope this helps your decision. The 8700g is a lot thinner than the SK3 which is also a plus when you are wearing shirts untucked.

Last edited:
Here's a link to the Q:

Motorola Moto Q

It's pretty but personally I don't want a phone running on Windows, and also don't need the camera. If you don't care about that, though, it looks nice.

The Blackberry 8700g is just what I was looking for. I had a Blackberry before my SK and really liked it, so even better. Thanks!

(Oh, and sorry I didn't put this in the proper subforum; I didn't even notice it until too late.)

Interpretrator, you must have read my mind! I've had the same dilemma, only worse. I don't even have an SK2. I have to do all my text msg's on a Motorola T720 phone, no QWERTY keyboard--what a hassle! As soon as I can afford it, I want to upgrade.

We have Suncom service, and they offer RIM Blackberry 7130g, 7290, and 8700g and Danger Hiptop2 or 3.

The Blackberry 8700g costs $350. Is that same price everywhere?

Interpretrator, you must have read my mind! I've had the same dilemma, only worse. I don't even have an SK2. I have to do all my text msg's on a Motorola T720 phone, no QWERTY keyboard--what a hassle! As soon as I can afford it, I want to upgrade.

We have Suncom service, and they offer RIM Blackberry 7130g, 7290, and 8700g and Danger Hiptop2 or 3.

The Blackberry 8700g costs $350. Is that same price everywhere?

Go to Welcome to Deafpagers.com! and you can get it for $99.99 after rebates.

Interpretrator,

Did you ever get a new phone? If so, how do you like it?

ah rats am i too late to reply ya ?

my wife who is an interpreter has cingular 8125. she loves it.

i know some of interpreters have 8525 and treo 750c. these devices come with windows mobile that has direct push email feature. i recommanded them to use mail2web.com for direct push email program. mail2web.com provides free 2gb email account. that come with task, calendar, contacts, and emails.

that is too bad you dont like windows mobile so probably you can try treo with palm OS or blackberry devices.

Back