Can you learn ASL from a book?

I've been here for many more years than you and I haven't ever actually seen any "deaf militants" on this site.
I'm guessing he means that anybody who challenges his opinions is a "deaf militant". It's sometimes easier to convince yourself that the other person is irrational than it is to accept that you could be wrong.

Obviously reading SOME comments here -suggests otherwise!

The differentiation between DEAF persons on the meaning of their condition and how one "deals with" is individualistic."Voice off" vs "Cochlear Implant"- which is the "received opinion" that one should "consider"? One's choice-if relevant?

Is there just "one resolution" based on hundred of years ago?

Again back to Sociology

Of course there is no one right decision in these matters (though I think some options are inherently more beneficial than others), but there are some fairly specific beliefs one must hold to accept and be accepted by the Deaf community. This does not make them "Deaf militants".

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I've been here for many more years than you and I haven't ever actually seen any "deaf militants" on this site.

When people speak up for their rights and feelings about ASL or the Deaf community, they get called "deaf militants". I have been accused of one many times on this site. I wonder if people have different definitions of what it means to be a Deaf militant. To me, it is a way of disregarding a person's strong feelings about their own culture and language by calling him/her a Deaf militant.

The definition of one's "culture and language" even if actually DEAF though a non "ASL user" still is an exercise in Sociology.

How one actually "deals with the condition" is still one's CHOICE.

I am a Deaf militant and also a native militant, too. We need to voice for our rights as Deaf people and also stand up to the government like the parliament for our native people both hearing and deaf/hard of hearing. Forget about the sociology (I love Sociology very much but not need to talk about often in sociology). Geeze.

All this bahaha...is crazy. I been deaf/hoh since I was born 44 yrs ago....everyone has equal rights! Deaf/hoh/hearing whatever....get over it & be thrilled tht hearing ppl want learn our language n culture etc and better understanding of us n our way of thinking n doing n saying things etc...goodness gracious! .

All this bahaha...is crazy. I been deaf/hoh since I was born 44 yrs ago....everyone has equal rights! Deaf/hoh/hearing whatever....get over it & be thrilled tht hearing ppl want learn our language n culture etc and better understanding of us n our way of thinking n doing n saying things etc...goodness gracious! .

:hmm: Off to start the pool on how long this one lasts....

Bottesini said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesjc39

Off to start the pool on how long this one lasts....
uhhhh..lets hope not long. happy holidays to ya bottesini n everyone else :)

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

The Sign Language Center in Manhattan has excellent classes. New York also has a ton of Deaf events you can go to. If you're not interested in formal classes, I would start with the ASL meetup group that meets in Union square every Friday. Everyone is really friendly, and there's lots of people willing to help beginners. Good luck!

Back