Businesses hanging up on relay calls

It is likely due to company firewall set to prevent from using AIM or text messaging going though. It is fairly common in workplace, no relay company can fix it, even my company won't be able to fix but refer you to your boss then boss need to talk with IT technician to see if can unblock them. Generally it is almost impossible to get though because employer would consider this as non-work related chatting thus prohibits them. Often they don't want to make exception due to other co worker would complain of "Not fair" where they (Employer) don't want to hear it.

I use text relay online through i711.com and haven't had any problems in terms of making phone calls (no one has hung up on me in more than a year). Only problem is that Purple/i711's tech support is of no help at all whatsoever in helping me and the tech people at my job figure out why I can't use the internet relay online on my work computer. I have downloaded the i711 relay app on my blackberry and that's been working out pretty well, so I'm not too worried about needing to use the relay on the computer at work anymore.

I hate the relay service with a passion. It's no wonder companies hang up on you if the relay operators opens with "Hello, this is the relay operator from..."

Just that word operator makes one think of telemarketers, naturally their first instinct is to hang up.

Second biggest peeve with relay operators is their lousy spelling/typing skills. You would think, considering the good pay they get, that they would at least be qualified.

Maybe replay service need a new format in way to greeting that way they don't hang up.

However, it's keep me frustion that every year, there is new young staff replace to take the call and got scary about it and hang up and hide under the rock.

It is likely due to company firewall set to prevent from using AIM or text messaging going though. It is fairly common in workplace, no relay company can fix it, even my company won't be able to fix but refer you to your boss then boss need to talk with IT technician to see if can unblock them. Generally it is almost impossible to get though because employer would consider this as non-work related chatting thus prohibits them. Often they don't want to make exception due to other co worker would complain of "Not fair" where they (Employer) don't want to hear it.

I know it's the company firewall. The problem is, i711/Purple updated the IP info a few months ago, but support is still sending out the OLD IP info to people needing that info so IT can add the info to the network firewall. I finally got a response from tech support from i711 and they're working on getting the updated info to us. The newspaper corporation I work for has no problem with my using the internet relay service, and are more than happy to accommodate my request to have it unblocked. It's just an issue of miscommunication/misinformation on i711/Purple folks in terms of the IP info and letting us know what the new info is so we can use it.

Hi guys!

I am someone who is not deaf but I have worked in special needs field all my life as well as a customer service agent since 2008 so perhaps I can give some insight in the industry and how those feel with dealing with a Relay Operator.

I know this is an old thread but I feel this is a very important and curious subject for many.

I am writing this and posting it on my iPhone so excuse the many mistakes.

I hate the relay service with a passion. It's no wonder companies hang up on you if the relay operators opens with "Hello, this is the relay operator from..."

Just that word operator makes one think of telemarketers, naturally their first instinct is to hang up.

Second biggest peeve with relay operators is their lousy spelling/typing skills. You would think, considering the good pay they get, that they would at least be qualified.

Haha, I'm sorry when I read that excuse on the FCC site about Relay calls I laughed out loud. They are lying to you the reason why someone hangs up is not because the CSR things they are a telemarketer.

In fact most job titles for Customer Service reps are still Operators but once they hear that opening line, "Hello, this is a relay operator" what passes through most Agents heads is dread and some do hang up.

Ill get into why this happens later.

I don't have anything helpful to say, but I wanted to chime in and say that I've been really frustrated with this too! When I was apartment shopping, there's a couple that I didn't even go look at because they kept hanging up on me... the one that I did go look at, I asked the lady why she kept hanging up and she goes "Oh, I don't take relay calls."

It took me four times to get through to my internet company so I could pay the bill. A restaurant here, the lady who answered kept saying "Call back when the manager is here" and hanging up... Even when I had the relay person start out with "DON'T HANG UP ON ME!"

I often want to go in to whatever business and go a little ape sh*t on them.

This post was funny and I've also been a Leasing CSR!

Like the previous post there is a reason your being hung up on most of the time when you call Call Centers.

Ill go into that more later in the post. It's important to note when you call a company to try to setup a showing the person answering often has a finical incentive to helping you.

Problem is Relay Calls are very, very difficult and again ill get into this more later.

Also going nuts over the phone through the relay operator has helped gain them infamy because often a deaf person will call in upset so naturally any Relay Call is a problem call and like any problem you like to avoid it.

Also going into a business and going nuts this has also helped the deaf community gain another major negative point with the working public that many are spoiled brats. Ill get into that more later.

Yup, the Nigerian scammers have had a great impact on the hang-ups.....

With major banks yes but overall the problems of hanging up are not because of that. Perhaps that's the excuse given to pass the buck as to why Relay Operators are being hung up on.

What I did was to tell relay operator first before I give her the ph number. I explained to her that business tend to hang up the first thing they hear you tell you're relay operator. After my "secret discussion" with VRS operator, She did exactly what I want her to. It works every time and biz didn't hang up on me.

Depending what VRS you are using. Some just let you call VRS terp first before giving phone number

If some VRS do not let you connect directly to VRS terp except type ph number you are calling to and VRS terp shows up. Tell her WAIT WAIT.. Before you dial, I need to talk to you about this company/business that tend to hang up and can you just tell them my name and explain nature of issue you want to tell them. VRS terp should do what you ask for to "get around" with "phone hanging jerks". Be sure that you don't surprise "jerk" that you were actually using relay. Sometime they asked why female voice while you're male ( :giggle: happens to me once). It's none of their business, just make sure the "jerk" shut up and listen and do what you asked for.

Works like a charm!!

Catty

I am going to get in the full reason why Relay Operators are hung up on but ill tell you one major reason now. People like you and the original poster are the reason why the deaf have so many problems its because you are a jerk over the phone and you have the relay operator repeat your verbal abuse or bad behavior to the world in which gives deaf people a reputation of being "jerks" so why would anyone want to deal with a jerk?

To make it worse your most likely being a jerk to a Customer Service Agent working in a call center who gets paid minimum wage. I can tell you those Call Center workers who work with ADA contracts in Chicago make 9.25 an hour.

Have you ever seen the movie, 'Waiting' its a comedy but it teaches you a very important lesson don't be a jerk to those preparing your food.

Its perfectly fine as I believe. Yes it works like charm. You make the VRS call, your in charge not the operator. The job description for these operators is very simple and straightforward, relay the message vice-versa, nothing more, nothing less. The operators should never take over the call that you place. Its your call not theirs!

Believe it or not this used to be a good service but a lot of people are now using this service and its starting to gain a bad reputation.

First, if you decide to use this service do not make an entire speech and expect the CSR to remember everything.

Second, your relay operator will interrupt the call center operator as he tries to respond.

The reason is these calls are coming from a client and they are giving you the info you want so as you respond back the Relay Operator stops you from responding to listen. You see when you take a break after sentence and are giving a long speech naturally someone is going to respond thinking your done talking.

Plus relay operators often take our information slowly as we speak naturally they stop us and ask us to repeat over and over again.

--------

As much as I thought every response here is interesting ill give you insight on why you all get hung up on.

• Rude Deaf People
1) It doesn't matter if your deaf or not Call Centers typically have their problem people who call in for no reason and just insult people call them racial and hurtful names. In most Call Centers you are not allowed to hang up even if your black and they call you the N word. Many deaf people using the Relay Services call into places and act rude and over the years created a reputation as when someone gets a relay call that the person will be rude.

It's like wearing sagging pants and assuming that person is the crook. Seeing some of the responses here on how they treat people to 'get what they want' your part of that problem. I try to treat and talk to everyone with respect. If I go to a business I expect good service but I do not treat the other person like a jerk.

Just because your deaf, or disabled does not give you liberty to treat people with disrespect.

• Call Time

1) A call center operator can be fired for being on calls for to long. Call Centers for example dealing with ADA are sometimes contracted on having a call time of no higher then two minutes per day. Between dealing with people with different accents its very hard to make that average by the end of the day. Then here comes the Relay Call and that's going to be a five or ten minute call that you can't deal with.
- Relay Calls take a significant amount of time not only because you guys are typing what is fact it's also because the relay operator is often slow. To where they are required to stay with you for at least ten minutes when it comes to call time the agent does not have it.
- Call Centers for the disabled have an insane requirement for call time of two minutes. If you want better service demand these call times are removed from contracts.

Rude / Slow Relay Operators

I am not sure if some relay operators are supposed to mimic what your trying to express such as if your being condescending if so they do a good job at it because though they require you give patience they have none for you.

And they relay information very slowly.

I love working with the disabled I deal with more people with other problems but I often encounter the deaf.

It can be challenging dealing with the deaf because of communication issues. When I was working as a Leasing Agent we had a deaf women who missed out getting an apartment because she took to long getting everything together.

She was upset eventually she came up to the office and no one would deal with her. I came out of the Call Center to help but we had a problem....

She was illiterate and she could only sign. The only person who could help her was miles away since she decided to come to HQ to be a jerk like that helped her any.

Your public officials are leading you on why people are hanging up on you. The problem is more or less the reputation built up by rude deaf people using the system and the insane call times required by calls agents.

As for calling restaurants and such you got to understand normal people don't want to deal with that if they don't have to. If you have twenty customers waiting on you and you got someone who takes forever on the phone you honestly think people should be patient for you?

They are not patient for people who hear lol Its like a people calling me to book a trip going somewhere but they don't know where they are at or where they are going and think someone will sit with them for a half hour on the phone well they get that info.

I see what you are saying and pointing out the problems but you haven't given us the solution? What is the solution? We can't change the fact we are deaf and depend on those services to help us communicate. Most of the changes would have to happen on the side that are hanging up on us and that comes with educating them the difference between scams and actual relay services.

Is that through VRS? I have experienced less hang ups using VRS than online relay services.

Same. With text relay services and even my captioned phone because of the delay I would get hung up on more than half of my calls. Before VRS I usually had a hearing person call. I've rarely (only sometimes) had VRS hung up.

Ridiculous story: I had to go to court on Wednesday for a speeding ticket and when I called a few weeks ago I asked for an interpreter and the secretary fought me for EONS without understanding why I'm the world I needed a terp. "So why does she need one?" "Because I'm deaf. I want to understand everything thoroughly" "but what does an interpreter do? Why do you need one?" Uuugh :laugh2:

Note: I was using a VRS interpreter for the call and he had to stop interpreting and explain to the secretary what a terp does and why I needed one. DENSE!

Sometime they asked why female voice while you're male ( :giggle: happens to me once). It's none of their business, just make sure the "jerk" shut up and listen and do what you asked for.

Works like a charm!!

Catty

Today my AUDIOLOGISTS office wouldn't let me talk to my doctor via the VRS because my name is female and the terp was male. Couldn't understand the idea of the middleman. :roll:

I see what you are saying and pointing out the problems but you haven't given us the solution? What is the solution? We can't change the fact we are deaf and depend on those services to help us communicate. Most of the changes would have to happen on the side that are hanging up on us and that comes with educating them the difference between scams and actual relay services.

Sorry, as you see I had a lot to say and I wished to give many positive solutions but I was typing that out on my iPhone for over an hour.

I think the best solution is honestly a instant messaging service. All Call Centers use computers so it would be great if there was a service that could link me directly with a deaf customer. I love talking to people and I know I'd love to find better ways of dealing directly with the deaf.

With instant messaging software I am sure this could be done and not as a large expense. I am sure a non profit or person could get a Federal Grant and make a free software to where the deaf and Call Centers could use to download.

I mean it would be sweet if you guys had an instant messaging service you could use on a smart phone that you can use to instant message a company.

From reading the above-doesn't match with what i have experienced using my VCO TTY since January 1996.
VCO you speak and the relay operator keys back what the other party said. They aren't "talking to the other party"
Here in Ontario 711 says I am operator 7123.-GA
I have used my TTY for every call and still no problem with the other party-to date.

aside:I do have a Cochlear Implant but only hear the "dial tone not persons speaking". Thus remain using VCO TTY.
Presumably very different experiences in other countries-
No comment about other countries Relay services.

I use IP relay on my tablet to make my calls, but I wasn't aware there was a way to talk to the operator without her relaying the 'secret' conversation to the other person. How do you talk only to the operator?

I use IP relay on my tablet to make my calls, but I wasn't aware there was a way to talk to the operator without her relaying the 'secret' conversation to the other person. How do you talk only to the operator?

I use phrases when I want to talk to the operator.

Example: (Opr can you please not announce relay?)

Opr: (yes)

They use phrases whenever they are talking to you directly.

I use phrases when I want to talk to the operator.

Example: (Opr can you please not announce relay?)

Opr: (yes)

They use phrases whenever they are talking to you directly.

Yeah, I just always think if I write in parentheses like that, they will read it to the person. I just really hate when an operator writes an incomplete and a fragment of a sentence, like..

"How long u"

And I'm left wondering how long what? Just one of many fragments that I had to ask what they were talking about. I have only been hung up on once and that was progressive hanging up on me.

I have no commment on the US or any other country's Relay service. I don't use it.
From reading the above very different to my experience.
I understand IP is different-better?

There is but you also have to be very aware it all depends on the Relay Company your using. If your using a company that has off-shored it's services and is using an Indian Call Center or Relay Service the 'secret' will be spoiled if the Relay Operator can only type twenty words per minute when texting you back the response on the other line and we keep talking like that person understood.

Because if they can only hear three out of the eight words we just said because they do not understand us and then they type slowly back to you then this will be spoiled.

Hi guys!

I am someone who is not deaf but I have worked in special needs field all my life as well as a customer service agent since 2008 so perhaps I can give some insight in the industry and how those feel with dealing with a Relay Operator.

<snip>

I am going to get in the full reason why Relay Operators are hung up on but ill tell you one major reason now. People like you and the original poster are the reason why the deaf have so many problems its because you are a jerk over the phone and you have the relay operator repeat your verbal abuse or bad behavior to the world in which gives deaf people a reputation of being "jerks" so why would anyone want to deal with a jerk?
<snipped for length, but the above probably wasn't the absolute best place to snip to>

I'm sorry, but as I read this, some of the later things sounded a lot like you were calling people jerky for asking the operator not to announce they were on relay when they were repeatedly hung up on as soon as that was announced. As a hearing person, I don't see that as an unreasonable or jerky request, presuming you are calling because of a genuine need for services.

I know someone who worked in a call center, and she said most of the callers (voice and possibly relay as well) were jerks. Why does it make sense to give immediate hangup on a relay call when you don't do the same to a hearing caller without provocation? I can kind of understand time limits and such, but at the same time, I do still think it's rather mean to hang up on someone because they *might* go over that limit.

Got my two cents out. :P :ugh3:

It seems odd to ask Relay service not to mention this fact when one uses GA-go ahead.
To my above comments above- have use TTY and duly mention every time I phone anyone and haven't use TTY with them before. Telay servicee duly explains how the system works. None have hung up-so far.
My experience- to date since 1996.

It seems odd to ask Relay service not to mention this fact when one uses GA-go ahead.
To my above comments above- have use TTY and duly mention every time I phone anyone and haven't use TTY with them before. Telay servicee duly explains how the system works. None have hung up-so far.
My experience- to date since 1996.

I can't believe that you have never had anyone hang up when Relay asks if they have ever had a Relay call before or as the Relay CA starts to explain how Relay works.

In the states it can be a real problem as they ask this before anything else is said by you even if you are using VCO. Businesses are particularly likely to do this.

To me not unusal that a business wouldn't hang up-it is me that is making the call. Presumably they might have some interest why I made the call in the first place.

I have dealth with ING DIRECT/ Ally Trust/Royal Bank of Canada as a customer. To date no problem.

The explanation by Relay service is short .

My experience since 1996. Whether the system in other countries is similar-no idea. No concern of mine- as I am not using theirs.

I'm sorry, but as I read this, some of the later things sounded a lot like you were calling people jerky for asking the operator not to announce they were on relay when they were repeatedly hung up on as soon as that was announced. As a hearing person, I don't see that as an unreasonable or jerky request, presuming you are calling because of a genuine need for services.

I know someone who worked in a call center, and she said most of the callers (voice and possibly relay as well) were jerks. Why does it make sense to give immediate hangup on a relay call when you don't do the same to a hearing caller without provocation? I can kind of understand time limits and such, but at the same time, I do still think it's rather mean to hang up on someone because they *might* go over that limit.

Got my two cents out. :P :ugh3:

When it comes down to it most call center agents are dirt poor and it's between them getting fired and having no savings because their call average went to low or 'accidently' hanging up on a person. It's easy to say those operators are mean until you yourself have to take one of those jobs with no fall back plain.

I don't hang up on my relay calls but I know plenty of people who do.

Back