Boy Crashes After Mom Lets Him Drive

ITPjohn

SAC Class of 05
Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw this story a couple of nights ago and couldn't believe it. What would you folks say to Mom??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050610/ap_on_fe_st/child_driver&printer=1

Boy, 11, Crashes After Mom Lets Him Drive
Thu Jun 9,11:23 PM ET

A woman allowed her 11-year-old son to drive the family's minivan to his elementary school, where the boy crashed the vehicle near a group of children.

No one was hurt. The boy, however, was expelled from school, and both he and his mother were ordered to traffic court later this month.

The crash happened Monday outside St. John Fisher School on Chicago's South Side, not far from where the children were lining up to go inside. The minivan jumped the curb and hit a school zone sign as the boy tried to turn a corner, authorities said.

Police said they don't know why Erin Sarandah decided to let her son drive the couple of blocks from home to the school while she and her daughter were passengers.

"She had a license," said police spokesman Pat Camden.

Sarandah was cited for damage to property and allowing an unauthorized person to drive, Camden said. The boy received a traffic ticket for negligent driving and driving without a license.

A telephone listing for Sarandah could not immediately be found.

Last edited:
Interesting! I am NOT so sure if mom would really let him drive! Probably mom is just trying to cover his son's ass by saying that she let him drive, but really he MIGHT have sneak and try to drive on his own.

diehardbiker65 said:
Interesting! I am NOT so sure if mom would really let him drive! Probably mom is just trying to cover his son's ass by saying that she let him drive, but really he MIGHT have sneak and try to drive on his own.

The story says "Police said they don't know why Erin Sarandah decided to let her son drive the couple of blocks from home to the school while she and her daughter were passengers."

It says "while mother and daughter were passengers"...they rode in the minivan while her son was driving.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: MOM!! and SCHOOL for expelled the boy? come on!! its not the boy's fault...he's young and innocent...give it a break! Mom should get more punish than the boy!

wtf! :crazy: I would NEVER let my kids drive unless they had a learner's permit (with a licensed driver as passenger, of course) or a Driver's license..We had the similar situation here, I think last year a teenager (not licensed) drove and her father let her for a YEAR with no LICENSE or learner's permit..her father said she begged him and he let her.. unfortunately now the father is facing serious consequences as well as his daughter because she had an accident, I dont know how it happened, but she drove through a fence from the parking lot of a high school, and lost control and went towards a front yard of a house and killed the mother of a baby girl who tried to save her from being hit by a car :( I feel bad for the baby girl who wont grow up knowing her mother. The latest update I know is the father is possibly facing serious jail time for a long time and the daughter possibly will be in juvie jail until she's 18, i think. The worse part is my hubby knew that man during his HS years, they went to the same HS and that man was an assistant coach for that HS they both went to. My hubby was so shocked to see him on the news. I noticed more and more parents are being so careless.. I hope there's something done about it to get them to wise up.

Back