Borax in my ears and other fun with the ENT

mizerey

Reaction score
Last week I went to my audiologist and had a check up. She said everything seemed pretty stable with only a minor progression in the highest pitches. Today, I went and saw my ENT. Let me start by saying, I have never really liked his manor with me. He is too rough with his instruments. Today he said everything looked normal and that he thinks I need to see a neurologist because of my migraines. I thought that was why I was seeing him but whatever. The thing is, he forgot to write that in my charts. Then he said he noticed a moisture build up in my ears and had me lie back. He said he was going to put a drying powder in my ears. He spun me around and used some sort of machine to blow this powder into my ears. When he finally let me up I was pretty dizzy. He told me the powder was borax. I talked to a couple of people on Facebook who have told me borax isn't dangerous in the ears. I just wish I was told beforehand. Kind of freaked me out! Has anyone ever had this done to them?

Wow!! I would be VERY uncomfortable with that!! Borax might be ok in your ears but he should have TOLD you what he was doing so you could say no. You have a right to say NO to anything a doctor does to you.

The ENT I saw recently was REALLY rough with my ears but he's retiring in December and the new people in the office are nice so I'm ok with staying there.

But your guy? You need a new one

The DR. sound horrible , if that happen to me I would had been piss of not being told he was going to be putting borax in my ear. Are you going back to that DR?

I agree. I wish mine would retire. He uses a nasal speculum to look up your nose and it always makes my nose sore for hours after it. He also pushed the otoscope in so far it almost feels like he's trying to scratch my brains LOL! This is the only time I haven't gaged with the tongue depressor. I'm going to be talking to my primary care doctor and my audiologist about finding a new ENT. I also have to ask the primary if he will refer me to the neurologist since the ENT forgot to. I did get good news today! My new purple earmold will be ready on the 10th! This will be the first time I'm getting colored molds. Well I had the flesh tone colored ones (that pinkish clear color) once. They also put me back into the softer molds. My audi says she thinks the softer material and a smaller vent hole will make things sound better.

Puffing borax powder in the ears is common treatment for early stage outer ear infections. It's better than constant antibiotics.

I did not know that. Thank you for teaching me something new :)!! I'm already on continuous antibiotics for an autoimmune disease. No wonder he asked if I was still on the Clindamycin

I did not know that. Thank you for teaching me something new :)!! I'm already on continuous antibiotics for an autoimmune disease. No wonder he asked if I was still on the Clindamycin

It's good for fungal problems in the ear too, so if you are on Clindamycin you are vulnerable to fungus.

Puffing borax powder in the ears is common treatment for early stage outer ear infections. It's better than constant antibiotics.

Yep...had it done many, many times...doesn't hurt at all...my ENT doctor is "the best".

It didn't hurt just freaked me out because he didn't tell me before he did it. If he would have explained it to me, I wouldn't have been so upset.

I'm more prone to fungal infections?! Great! I guess that's why my doctor said to start taking AZO yeast which is a homeopathic yeast and fungus inhibitor.

But the DR. should had explain this to the OP instead of treating like a her child that would not understand what he was doing. A patient has rights to be informed of everything a DR. is going to them. That Dr. violated the OP rights. A patient should be given the chance to refuse any treatments
and the OP was not given their right to refuse the treatment. It's the DR. attitude and the way he's treating the OP that bother me. If this was me I would be making phone calls to see if there been any more complains made about this DR.

Actually I can check his record online! The other thing I don't like about his office is that they refuse to give you copies of the audiograms. I have asked EVERY time I have been in to see them. We have an online system called mychart but I haven't been able to log onto it. It says my code is invalid. Hopefully copies of that paperwork will be on there.

Actually I can check his record online! The other thing I don't like about his office is that they refuse to give you copies of the audiograms. I have asked EVERY time I have been in to see them. We have an online system called mychart but I haven't been able to log onto it. It says my code is invalid. Hopefully copies of that paperwork will be on there.

The DR. HAS to give you copies of all your medical records , you'll need to sign a release form if plan on seeing another DR. You have a right to all your tests . I know people also post reviews about a Dr. and it give a rating of so many stars . Your Dr. should get a big fat X next to his name!

Back