Bone anchored Baha

Hi. I know that is post is late to the game but I have been considering a BAHA after losing all hearing in my left ear due to an acoustic neuroma on the hearing nerve. I had a long talk with the audiologist and she said that the BAHA doesn't reproduce sound like normal but signals to the hearing ear that sound is coming from the other side so that you can turn to it, getting back your directional function. She also said that there is a second or so delay (which I would find disconcerting). There are also some issues of rejection as I am sure there are with CIs. Those incidents generally only occur if there is an underlying medical condition. But it is something to look in to. I have decided to learn to live with my deafness for a lot of reasons but my ENT is a big proponent of the BAHA. Good luck.

Hi. I know that is post is late to the game but I have been considering a BAHA after losing all hearing in my left ear due to an acoustic neuroma on the hearing nerve. I had a long talk with the audiologist and she said that the BAHA doesn't reproduce sound like normal but signals to the hearing ear that sound is coming from the other side so that you can turn to it, getting back your directional function. She also said that there is a second or so delay (which I would find disconcerting). There are also some issues of rejection as I am sure there are with CIs. Those incidents generally only occur if there is an underlying medical condition. But it is something to look in to. I have decided to learn to live with my deafness for a lot of reasons but my ENT is a big proponent of the BAHA. Good luck.

BAHA transmits the sound to the hearing side ... so it does a lot more than just "cue you to turn". Also the delay is a lot less than a second.

I'd suggest you give the headband style BAHA a try and see what you think first hand because the information your Audie gave you seems incorrect (not all audies are familiar with BAHA, just like not all Audies are familiar with CI)

Thanks for the additional information. I have read so much on BAHA and have been so confused that I figured she knew what was what since she works with my ENT at a major research hospital. More info is always better than less.

Thanks for the additional information. I have read so much on BAHA and have been so confused that I figured she knew what was what since she works with my ENT at a major research hospital. More info is always better than less.

The bottom line is that you won't know how it works for YOU unless you do a handband trial ... you may not like it, but you may LOVE it. It's definitely worth at least trying for a few weeks!

Really, what do you have to lose?

Most surgeons will make you trial the BAHA on a headband first. It will give you an idea of how it will benefit you. The real thing will work better though.

The bottom line is that you won't know how it works for YOU unless you do a handband trial ... you may not like it, but you may LOVE it. It's definitely worth at least trying for a few weeks!

Really, what do you have to lose?

Yes, with BAHA opt for a headband trial. See how you like it, and if it works for you.....really too bad that there's not a simlair trial option for ambigious CI canidates.

Most surgeons will make you trial the BAHA on a headband first. It will give you an idea of how it will benefit you. The real thing will work better though.

I think in most places a headband trial is actually requirement (by the surgeon and insurance etc). Also it's worth saying that some people elect to just use the headband version and not do the surgery- even though the surgery will give a better result.

As I understand the matter-BAHA is not the same as SN. A Cochlear Implant would not benefit a person requiring BAHA.

ENT doctors "should " be to differentiate between the 2 disparate conditions.

As I understand the matter-BAHA is not the same as SN. A Cochlear Implant would not benefit a person requiring BAHA.

ENT doctors "should " be to differentiate between the 2 disparate conditions.
You are correct, except for people like me whose loss is half bone conduction and half progressive sensorial, post ossicle repair :)

Not being an ENT doctor-no idea given the above stated condition-
how to handle. Presumably not a "common happening".

An instance of the "human variability"?

The doctor has to deal with an actual person whatever the condition-in a specific manner.

This shows how difficult saying on what one did in comparison to others in similar circumstances- in this forum.

A Cochlear Implant would not benefit a person requiring BAHA.

If I understand it correctly, that's not 100% true in some cases - for example when you have single-sided deafness, it can be treated by BAHA (the sound goes to the good ear on the opposite side via bone conduction) or CI (the sound goes directly to the hearing nerve on the deaf side).

But I'm not 100% sure about it. If I'm wrong, correct me.

If I understand it correctly, that's not 100% true in some cases - for example when you have single-sided deafness, it can be treated by BAHA (the sound goes to the good ear on the opposite side via bone conduction) or CI (the sound goes directly to the hearing nerve on the deaf side).

But I'm not 100% sure about it. If I'm wrong, correct me.

I went on the phonak FM website page and it had a testimony from a young guy with SSD with a cochlear implant that is using a FM system in Canada so you are right.

As we have 2 ears-most of us,anyways- it possible to use the 2 different systems in each. Expensive?
Very many actual persons with both?

AAAaaaaaaa.......

I am so new to being SSD and so confused about options and whether I even want to pursue any type of hearing "aid." I like being able to sleep through my fiance vacuuming the whole house if I am sleeping on my "good" ear (I also like having a fiance who vacuums...). I am learning to have people be on my right side, look at me when they speak, stay out of noisy places where I simply have no speech discrimination etc. I also have lupus and understand there can be rejection issues for people with underlying immune illnesses. I think I may embrace my deafness even though I am losing high end sounds in my right ear. Should I start ASL?

I am so new to being SSD and so confused about options and whether I even want to pursue any type of hearing "aid." I like being able to sleep through my fiance vacuuming the whole house if I am sleeping on my "good" ear (I also like having a fiance who vacuums...). I am learning to have people be on my right side, look at me when they speak, stay out of noisy places where I simply have no speech discrimination etc. I also have lupus and understand there can be rejection issues for people with underlying immune illnesses. I think I may embrace my deafness even though I am losing high end sounds in my right ear. Should I start ASL?

From the time I started wearing HAs (I'm late deafened), I had thought about learning ASL...just in case. However, due to finances and time constraints, I did not pursue it till about 2 years ago. My hearing has deteriorated from when I was first diagnosed with hearing loss, but I still benefit from HAs. I am not putting as much effort into my ASL as I should, but figure I'll at least have some knowledge of it should the time come that I need it (and have to take classes all over again :o).

If you can take ASL classes now, I say go for it.

Sure why not? And do try out the BAHA on a headband. It MIGHT be helpful......

ANij...tought your posting was as Kdub and sent you a note earlier. Please read it and then contact me I can answer ANY questions you have about bahas.

hjbuter@sbcglobal.net

I think you're confusing people. I don't have any BAHA questions (I understand very well how they work) and you haven't sent me any messages.

Also - kind of a strange first post hjb4971 ... spam?

Back