Bone anchored Baha

annadilynn

Reaction score
scheduled for surgery on dec 12. 2012....anyone have advice knowlege to share???

Goodness i hope people actually decide to do more than read my post and actually give their 2 cents....yes, it will help <3

I don't believe we have any users on AD that have the BAHA but if you go to cochlear community (google it) there ill be loads of BAHA implanteed that can help you! Just some general stuff.
Try to get your Rx meds before hand and pre make or buy some dinners/lunches
Buy some gravol for any nausea
Buy some dry shampoo since washing your hair is a no no for a few days
-hope that helps somewhat! Sorry I'm going for a CI not BAHA so I wish I had more info for you but definitely check out cochlear community as there are lots of BAHA users on there that can give you specific advice!:)

BAHAs work very well for most people.
The benefits are not having a metal band holding the hearing aid to your head.

Are you getting a BAHA for conductive hearing loss or single sided deafness?

Either way it should work really well after healing.

I think I am correct in stating that most people on AD if they have hearing loss, have sensorineural hearing loss. You probably know that purely conductive hearing loss while hard to deal with can be nearly completely cured by bone conduction because by definition the inner ear is in tact. The problem lies in getting sound from the outer ear to the eardrum.

I wish you well. I hope you have fantastic results.

Just, don't take it personally that more people aren't commenting. Many of us can't be helped by BAHAs or any other type of hearing aid.

You can expect excellent speech scores with your BAHA since conductive hearing loss does not affect the cochlea.

Good luck. Just know you have much better odds than anybody wanting a cochlear implant.

yeah I don't know of anyone with BAHA's, especially on this site. There are a few BAHA groups on facebook if you want to check them out. Also, give this thread more time, perhaps more people will respond at some point.

I don't believe we have any users on AD that have the BAHA but if you go to cochlear community (google it) there ill be loads of BAHA implanteed that can help you! Just some general stuff.
Try to get your Rx meds before hand and pre make or buy some dinners/lunches
Buy some gravol for any nausea
Buy some dry shampoo since washing your hair is a no no for a few days
-hope that helps somewhat! Sorry I'm going for a CI not BAHA so I wish I had more info for you but definitely check out cochlear community as there are lots of BAHA users on there that can give you specific advice!:)

Hey LOVEZEBRAS. Have you been put on the waiting list for CI yet? Hope your still not waiting?

I actually have my HINT test today! At 11 :) It's 9:30 my time right now ...I will let ya know how it goes:)

You probably know that purely conductive hearing loss while hard to deal with can be nearly completely cured by bone conduction because by definition the inner ear is in tact
ecp, WTF?!?!?! That is NOT true.
People with conductive hearing loss, don't hear at ALL like hearing people, even with a hearing aid. If that's true then how come kids and people born with atresia (no ear canals), which is a conductive loss still have deaf voices?
We're still HOH.....We can just "hear" by vibration. (and more so then a hearing person)

People with conductive hearing loss, don't hear at ALL like hearing people, even with a hearing aid. If that's true then how come kids and people born with atresia (no ear canals), which is a conductive loss still have deaf voices?
We're still HOH.....We can just "hear" by vibration. (and more so then a hearing person)

My mom has otosclerosis like me, but not like me hers was strictly normal otosclerosis and has no nerve damage, only conductive. Last year she had a stapedectomy......hearing loss cured. No need for aids or anything.

So no, not simply "not true" but it does depend on the case.

My mom has otosclerosis like me, but not like me hers was strictly normal otosclerosis and has no nerve damage, only conductive. Last year she had a stapedectomy......hearing loss cured. No need for aids or anything.

So no, not simply "not true" but it does depend on the case.

I never said surgery doesn't cure the hearing defiect in otoscerious.....but a hearing aid doesn't cure being HOH with conductive loss.

If you take a look at what I said you will see that I wrote that conductive hearing loss can often be nearly cured with bone conduction hearing aids. I didn't mention whether the hearing aids were BAHA or attached by a band.
I apologize if I wasn't clear. People with conductive hearing loss still have hearing loss.
The difference is that purely conductive hearing loss by definition does not have cochlear involvement and thus no cochlear distortion.

I hope I have clarified myself. If didn't mean to minimize the struggles of anybody with hearing loss, I simply wanted to give the original poster realistic information that if h/she has purely conductive hearing loss then bone conduction will greatly help her.

Regarding people with aural atresia and deaf voices, I don't know what a deaf voice sounds like anymore.

It is easy to get defensive when people seem to undermine "your kind of deafness". I can imaging that the lack of replies to a BAHA thread could seem unwelcoming.
I don't always feel welcome when people find out that I have progressive hearing loss.

I don't feel welcome when people find out that I am trying to get a CI.

We shouldn't judge people on the choices they make about their health. If someone with aural atresia decides to be completely emerged in Deaf culture despite good results with bone conduction hearing aids that is just fine. Great even.

I never said surgery doesn't cure the hearing defiect in otoscerious.....but a hearing aid doesn't cure being HOH with conductive loss.

And I never hearing aids cure conductive hearing loss.

I said that bone conduction can restore nearly normal hearing in people with purely conductive hearing loss.

There is a huge difference between bone conduction and air conduction for people with conductive hearing loss mostly because in conductive hearing loss is by definition a problem between the external auditory canal and the base of the stapes.
The distortion that is common in sensriouneural hearing loss is because instead of a mechanical trouble in conducting energy, there are fewer functional cells to transform mechanical energy to neural impulse.

You could strap me with the strongest bone conduction hearing device and I still wouldn't be able to understand sound because my cochleas are still damaged.

scheduled for surgery on dec 12. 2012....anyone have advice knowlege to share???

Regarding general surgical advice,
1. If ou are an anxious person- I am definitely one of these- tell the surgeon and anesthesiologist before surgery. They can arrange to give you something to help you relax before surgery which can be very helpful.
2. I have had a number of surgeries for non-ear related things (broken shoulder last year, heart problem when I was 13, etc) and it might just be that my inner ears and vestibular structures are messed up but I get really dizzy and nauseous after surgery.
After my first surgery at 13 which involved my sternum being cut open, I was so sick. Apparently people in my family have bad reactions to certain types of anestetics and so do I.
Since then I tell the anesthesiologist that I WILL come out of general anesthesia and be very dizzy and nauseous. My mom is a nurse so she started telling the doctors that I needed antiemetics as soon as I wake up.
When I had shoulder surgery last year the doc thought I was overestimating my need for nausea medicine or he forgot so I had to spend an extra few hours in recovery.

Basically, if you have had surgery before and something happened, good or bad, tell the doctor before hand.

If you know you wake up from surgery and puke, tell the doctor.

If you have never had surgery before, tell them you are nervous.

If you wake up in pain, tell them.

They will likely ask you to rate your pain on a scale of 1 to 10. Keep in mind that 10 is the worst pain you can ever possibly imagine and 1 is pain that is bearable and won't be a problem I your activities.

3. The most important advice is to have someone, a spouse, partner, parent, sibling who is good at caring for people to be there for you for a few days. They will have to drive you home from surgery and they should help you walk to the bathroom or to the couch until youare steady on your feet.

be nearly cured with bone conduction hearing aids. I didn't mention whether the hearing aids were BAHA or attached by a band.
I apologize if I wasn't clear. People with conductive hearing loss still have hearing loss.
The difference is that purely conductive hearing loss by definition does not have cochlear involvement and thus no cochlear distortion.

I hope I have clarified myself. If didn't mean to minimize the struggles of anybody with hearing loss,
*pounds head against wall*
Just b/c there's no coachlear distortion, it still doesn't mean that those of us with atresia hear normally. There's no struggle with conductive loss....it's about hearing differently!

We shouldn't judge people on the choices they make about their health. If someone with aural atresia decides to be completely emerged in Deaf culture despite good results with bone conduction hearing aids that is just fine. Great even
That is b/c they hear like a HOH person, rather then a hearing person. Yes, we respond differently to hearing technology compared to a person with coachler involvement but that doesn't mean that we respond like a hearing person.

I don't really know much about it, but I do have a friend who got one due to surgery leading to hearing loss. He was already hearing, so he adapted to it quickly.

Back