between hard of hearing and deaf

Purple82moon

Reaction score
I have this question that it been in my head for a while... and plus i have been watching out some of the convestion with my friends and myself..

I am proud to be deaf.. but when it come to people... i say i am deaf.... and my friends told me that i am hard of hearing.. because i can hear and i can talk ..... and my friends want me to called myseft Hard of hearing...

what is the different between them.. i know the different but it almost the same thing.. right?

Deaf mean= can't hear well...
Hard of Hearing mean= can hear some and can talk ...

those what my friend say to me.... and i was thinking.. well IF I dont wear hearing aids that mean i am deaf.. but if i am wearing hearing aids..i am hard of hearing... that make no sense to me.... I am proudly to be deaf ...

how do u know which you are??

hope you guys will help me out with this sitution...

Take your hearing aids off, Can you hear without them??? Can you understand what people are saying without your hearing aids and without reading their lips

good question Purple82Moon --

the way i look at it is "deaf" means cannot hear or hear VERY little

"hard of hearing" and "hearing impaired" are VERY broad terms to indicate a hearing loss that could be anywhere between 1 Db hearing loss to over 100 Db hearing loss

personally i say im :deaf: cuz thats my identity and i dont like the use of "hard of hearing" or "hearing impaired" even tho i do hear some sounds with HA it doesnt mean i AM "hard of hearing" or "hearing impaired" -- ive noticed alot of hearing folks tends to confuse those 2 terminologies and tends to call the deafies "hearing impaired" which i also define and categorize the same way as "hard of hearing"

i am totally deaf without my hearing aids... only thing that i can hear is the loud noise... that is all

without my hearing aids... i cant hear people... but i always read lip.. heehee.. but without hearing aids AND without not look at the lip.. i can feel the voice but no clue what is say...

Originally posted by Fly Free
good question Purple82Moon --

the way i look at it is "deaf" means cannot hear or hear VERY little

"hard of hearing" and "hearing impaired" are VERY broad terms to indicate a hearing loss that could be anywhere between 1 Db hearing loss to over 100 Db hearing loss

personally i say im :deaf: cuz thats my identity and i dont like the use of "hard of hearing" or "hearing impaired" even tho i do hear some sounds with HA it doesnt mean i AM "hard of hearing" or "hearing impaired" -- ive noticed alot of hearing folks tends to confuse those 2 terminologies and tends to call the deafies "hearing impaired" which i also define and categorize the same way as "hard of hearing"

i called myself deaf to deaf people and hearing people... and my friend saying that i should be called myself hard of hearing because i can hear things going around... and i can talk to people .. (( like sometime i have to be their interperter to order food or whatever))... i couldnt understand my friend's point of view that i should be called myself hard of hearing.. but i dont feel that way.. u know what i am saying.. ofc i can talk and hear.. but i am deaf too...

you are the same as my daughter. Deaf without your hearing aids hoh with them on

Originally posted by Purple82moon
i called myself deaf to deaf people and hearing people... and my friend saying that i should be called myself hard of hearing because i can hear things going around... and i can talk to people .. (( like sometime i have to be their interperter to order food or whatever))... i couldnt understand my friend's point of view that i should be called myself hard of hearing.. but i dont feel that way.. u know what i am saying.. ofc i can talk and hear.. but i am deaf too...

i uddy what u mean and say u are :deaf: if u feel most comfy with that identity as opposed to HoH

i uddy what u mean and say u are :deaf: if u feel most comfy with that identity as opposed to HoH

i do call myself :deaf:.. but this person who is very strong deaf person.. (( who is my friend))... saying that i should call myself hard of hearing.... and i was little :confused: when she told me this.. i was like what?

if that happend to you.. what would u do??

Originally posted by Purple82moon
i do call myself :deaf:.. but this person who is very strong deaf person.. (( who is my friend))... saying that i should call myself hard of hearing.... and i was little :confused: when she told me this.. i was like what?

if that happend to you.. what would u do??

yes its happened to me indeed -- and i tell them im :deaf: end of story cuz i dont ALWAYS uddy every hearie person -- theres TOO many cultural diversities now a days and its become VERY challenging trying to communicate with the hearies :roll: especially with accents and to top it off ive come across those that has little or no english comprehension if theyre reading written english

Well...most deafies (even culturally Deaf) do have residual hearing. It's rare to find a stone-deaf person.
Me I am hard of hearing (mild-moderate-moderately severe loss) but I consider myself :deaf:
I am aware that a lot of oral deaf people(people with losses over 70 dcb) consider themselves to be culturally HOH....well not culturally as there's really no HOH culture. I actually spoke at a conference for hoh kids and there really wasn't anything there in terms of culture. Most of the exhibits and things had to do with hearing aids and auditory trainers and completely boring things like that! No wonder not too many HOH people are members of SHH!

yes its happened to me indeed -- and i tell them im :deaf: end of story cuz i dont ALWAYS uddy every hearie person -- theres TOO many cultural diversities now a days and its become VERY challenging trying to communicate with the hearies :roll: especially with accents and to top it off ive come across those that has little or no english comprehension if theyre reading written english

Oh yeah.. i hate that.. cuz sometime they cant understand me.. and i cant understand me.. but thank god that in my town.. people knows me well.... and we just used our body to communicate... thank god for that.... but yeah.. i know what u mean about communicate with people who have accents..

True.. i dont always unddy hearing people too.....

Smile :D

Originally posted by deafdyke
Well...most deafies (even culturally Deaf) do have residual hearing. It's rare to find a stone-deaf person.
Me I am hard of hearing (mild-moderate-moderately severe loss) but I consider myself :deaf:
I am aware that a lot of oral deaf people(people with losses over 70 dcb) consider themselves to be culturally HOH....well not culturally as there's really no HOH culture. I actually spoke at a conference for hoh kids and there really wasn't anything there in terms of culture. Most of the exhibits and things had to do with hearing aids and auditory trainers and completely boring things like that! No wonder not too many HOH people are members of SHH!

wow.. i never thought of that... about HOH dont have their own culture.... i grow up with my HOH since i was 2 year old.. and we always together till we arrived to our High School that mixed with deaf and HOH.. it was HELL of the year ... cuz it was kinda of war going on that year.. but whew.. now we are good friends to each other.. whew....

haha.. yeah.. that is true.. no wondering not lots of HOH are memebers... smile... :D

Back