Better Late than Never

DeafInTX

Reaction score
Wow! I hadn't realized how long it's been since I've posted anything. I've been busy with school, but......

I finally got my degree!

It took me long enough; this was my 3rd attempt. Now I can relax for a couple of weeks. Grad school starts June 5th, but I hope to get to spend more time here at AD before then.

Don't know you (I'm "new" to AD again) but would like to say congrats! It took me a while to get through school but I finally made it! CONGRATS TO YOU AGAIN!!

DeafInTX said:
Wow! I hadn't realized how long it's been since I've posted anything. I've been busy with school, but......

I finally got my degree!

It took me long enough; this was my 3rd attempt. Now I can relax for a couple of weeks. Grad school starts June 5th, but I hope to get to spend more time here at AD before then.

Third attempt to get a degree? How does that happen?

DeafInTX said:

I finally got my degree!

Congraulations !!!!! Here is a free cold beer and a free shot of whiskey on me. Sliding them over to you !!!!!! Welcome to the working world , Man !!!!! :cheers:

Congrats! I see you are in Ft. Worth. Are you at TCU, UT Arlington, or UNT?

Champers.gif
for you...

Congrats!

Dennis said:
Third attempt to get a degree? How does that happen?

Things kept happening. The first time I went to college was right out of high school. I didn't really know what I wanted to do, kept changing majors, started to party too much, and finally after a couple of years, I quit. Got married, had kids. By the time the youngest was ready to start kindergarten, I had decided I wanted to be a teacher, so I went back, got my Associate Degree and came within one semester of graduating. But during this time, I discovered that I had been losing hearing since high school, got HAs, my husband started working as a long-haul truck driver (leaving me at home by myself with the 3 kids for 3-4 weeks at a time). My life just pretty much went to hell and I became depressed, so I quit again. I wasn't sure I would be able to teach in a regular classroom with my hearing loss, so I gave up on the idea of being a teacher.

Several years later I was taking ASL classes at the local center for the deaf. After learning that I had wanted to teach, the instructor asked why I didn't teach deaf kids. One of those big ol' light bulbs went on over my head. So I found a university not too far away with a Deaf Ed program...... and here I am.

Eve said:
Congrats! I see you are in Ft. Worth. Are you at TCU, UT Arlington, or UNT?

Texas Woman's University in Denton, actually. TCU does have a Deaf Ed program, and I would have loved to have gone there, but it's a private school so they do not have to accept the tuition waiver for the deaf and blind, and I'm too poor to afford their tuition without it. UNT has a program for Speech-Path and Audiology, but not Deaf Ed unless they've added it recently. TX Woman's was the only other school around with Deaf Ed. Even so, Denton is still an hour's drive from my house in Ft. Worth, but all of the classes for the Master's degree are offered online, so I won't have to make that trip anymore.

Ohhhh ....... You are a woman ? Well, Congraulations !!!!! If you don't want free cold beer and some whiskey then I am sure I could slide over something that you would really enjoy and like. Enjoy working with the kids and God Bless !!!!! :) :thumb:

Heath said:
Ohhhh ....... You are a woman ? Well, Congraulations !!!!! If you don't want free cold beer and some whiskey then I am sure I could slide over something that you would really enjoy and like. Enjoy working with the kids and God Bless !!!!! :) :thumb:

A cold beer would be fine, unless you happen to have a margarita around somewhere... Thanks.

Back