Best way to get voicemails?

Laungel

Reaction score
I've looked through these boards and I'm a bit overwhelmed by some of the options people have presented for how they get their voicemails. Some of the comments don't have quite enough information for me to know exactly how the program they are talking about works.

I need a way to get my voicemails sent to me in written form. Email is best since text doesn't always have enough room for the entire message but either way works. Right now I've been depending on friends to listen to my messages for me but this may take several weeks before I can get someone to do this.

I'm looking for a way to get my voicemails quickly (within 48 hrs). I am looking for a job right now so I would like to avoid any options that alert the caller that I am HoH (for example, speaking directly with a relay operator).

I have an Android phone if that helps. What options do you use? Did you have to sign up for a different phone number in order to use it? Accuracy level? Is the entire message relayed or only the first part? Cost?

Thanks for your input!

Now can that be set up on ANY phone, or does it have be Android? I thought it only worked on iPhones.

I am very, very confused myself about what sort of phone to get.

I use PhoneTag - PhoneTag

I just signed up for phonetag but I'm a bit confused. I was given two different numbers to call. One just beeps at me and the other I have no clue what is being said but obviously is waiting for some kind of input. I still dont know for sure how phonetag works. Do I need to give people a different phone number to call? What are these phone numbers I'm being given?

I just signed up for phonetag but I'm a bit confused. I was given two different numbers to call. One just beeps at me and the other I have no clue what is being said but obviously is waiting for some kind of input. I still dont know for sure how phonetag works. Do I need to give people a different phone number to call? What are these phone numbers I'm being given?
I don't remember how I set it up, but I have text msgs sent to my cell phone and also get an email. I have it set up just for my cell phone...otherwise I'd be getting all those lovely spam calls texted/emailed to me.

Now can that be set up on ANY phone, or does it have be Android? I thought it only worked on iPhones.

I am very, very confused myself about what sort of phone to get.

If you are talking to me, google voice was originally separate from phones. It was invite only, and once you were signed up you would receive a free phone number from google. I still have the same one I signed up with 3 years ago or so, different from my main mobile number. It was originally created to be accessed on the computer, like an email program. Now it has changed lately with the introduction of smartphones to integrate it with phones.

You can even not use a smartphone and still have google voice. You just give people the number google offers you and they'll get your recorded "leave a voicemail" message.

You then can either dial in on your mobile or use the computer to browse your voicemails similar to an email, and finished transcripts are provided. Currently, the feature is not solid. English is the only available supported for transcripts, I believe, unless things have changed recently - I get voicemails in Chinese, Japanese, etc, and they show up as garbled english texts.

The application is available for android/blackberry/iphone systems. They just integrate your phone with the system.

For a phone of choice, this is a rule of thumb:

If you want to be confined to a system defined for you, get an Iphone. It's meant to be used as "Here is what we made for you.", if it doesn't do what you want the way you want, you'll have to live with it. It's like buying a standard default car, there are no extra options available.

If you want to be more free and choose your own settings, features, applications to use, that is an android. This is mainly for technical and detail orientated people who want to use the phone the way they want it to. Chances are, if the app market doesn't have what you want, you can always engineer one yourself. In this case, it's like choosing from different components of the car. If it doesn't have the seats you want, or the wheels you want, you have more freedom to 'customize'. Granted, there are people who are new to android and buying it without knowing what is available too.

Substitute everything I've said about cars to electronic components and that is the gist of it.

Blackberry is if you want to 'look' professional, although the phone interface system is limited than compared to apple or android.

I thought the cool thing about iphones was all the apps available for it. So that's not the case??

I thought the cool thing about iphones was all the apps available for it. So that's not the case??

Android has lots of apps.

New ipod touch can be used that way too with wifi. And that is way cheaper than iphone plans. {free}

No, I don't think so. There's so many cool apps for it. Too many of my friends have it and I see all that does. I turn green. :lol: And there's getting to be more and more deaf-friendly apps every day. It's my next phone! Just waiting for my existing stupid contract to expire first in September :lol:

How accurate is Google Voice?

http://voice.google.com
read about it.

Download it on the Android marketplace. It's free and you can set it up on your phone.

How accurate is Google Voice in converting voicemails into text? When I use Google's equivalent technology on YouTube, the results are often wrong. It's a bit academic for me atm as Google Voice is only available in the U.S.

I used to use 'Spinvox' a few years ago, but they went bust in 2009.

Wait, what do you mean by "it," the iphone or the Android?

No, I don't think so. There's so many cool apps for it.

And now Chevy57 on another thread just posted:

LOL I have lots of apps on my iPhone 4.

Confusion is not getting any better here...

Do any of these phones work with a neck-loop system or anything like that to make hearing them any easier for us HoH types, or are the advantages mostly that they can pick up voice-to-text technology through Clear
Captions or Google voice or similar services?

Do any of these phones work with a neck-loop system or anything like that to make hearing them any easier for us HoH types?
If you can plug earphones into it, you can plug your neckloop into it (though you may need to get an adapter if the plug is bigger/smaller than the hole you're plugging into. And I'm sure they have bluetooth, so you could get a bluetooth neckloop.

My HAs don't have Bluetooth, but I could add it.

My old neckloop for my Nokia has a plug that is larger than the connection for earphones, and I was told then that the neckloop and the earphones will NOT work from the same connection.

My old neckloop for my Nokia has a plug that is larger than the connection for earphones, and I was told then that the neckloop and the earphones will NOT work from the same connection.
The neckloop would have the bluetooth and would send the "signal" to your t-coil. You can get adapters that would allow a larger plug to go into a smaller hole.

I forget, which HAs do you have now? Can you get a Streamer/iCom/Tek for them? Are you considering getting new HAs. I know you talked about this on other threads...just don't remember.

Do any of these phones work with a neck-loop system or anything like that to make hearing them any easier for us HoH types, or are the advantages mostly that they can pick up voice-to-text technology through Clear
Captions or Google voice or similar services?[/QUOTE]

I used Tec-Ear earphones with my blackberry and I LOVED them! They work just like neckloops and you can buy those too but I preferred the "headphones" version. To an outsider, it looks just like earbuds that everyone else wears, but on the end they have little hooks that let you hook it around your ears. Then it works with your t-coil just like a neckloop. Customer service was great, I wrote and told them what I wanted to hook it up to and they sent a personal response in 24 hours letting me know which products were available to use with my device. The best part was that because I used it with a t-coil, I could turn it up as loud as I wanted and nobody around me could hear what I was hearing (a problem for me with regular headphones).
Music Link T-coil Inductive, Stereo Ear Hooks for iPod, MP3 audio

Cool, I'll bookmark that site for sure! This is why I originally stumbled on Alldeaf, looking for tech advice on this sort of thing.

Loveblue, I have Phonak Savia Arts now, a few years old. I'm sorta/kinda thinking of getting new aids, but mostly I think I just need some better accessories to be able to access phones and recorded music and such a little better. I don't know if a streamer or iCom system can be added after the fact.

I know I can add bluetooth but would have to send the aids back to do so. Guess it would take a week or so.

Cool, I'll bookmark that site for sure! This is why I originally stumbled on Alldeaf, looking for tech advice on this sort of thing.

Loveblue, I have Phonak Savia Arts now, a few years old. I'm sorta/kinda thinking of getting new aids, but mostly I think I just need some better accessories to be able to access phones and recorded music and such a little better. I don't know if a streamer or iCom system can be added after the fact.

I know I can add bluetooth but would have to send the aids back to do so. Guess it would take a week or so.
I don't think you can add bluetooth to your HAs. If that were possible, the newer ones would all have it. I believe bluetooth is too much of a battery drainer to work for now. I looked up your HAs and they are NOT compatible with the iCom :( You can buy bluetooth neckloops to work with your t-coil though. Does your HAs have t-coil...perhaps that's what you mean about sending them back to have added.

I've already got t-coil; it's one of the 4 programs installed on it.

I'm quite sure the audi said that Bluetooth could be added. Maybe she didn't really know what she was talking about, though.

The Bluetooth neckloop sounds like a good idea.

Back