Best vocational job for HOH/Deaf?

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last night whilst laying in bed I started thinking of where I should be headed career wise as this chicken plant buisness is obviously no fun, but then work is never fun.

So last night I laid there and thought about possibly going back to school in a couple of years for a vocational degree/certificate and one of the first things that popped into my mind was Electrician. Now before you go scoffing and giggling behind the monitor, I am actually quite unsure of this. I am good artist but truth is in this area there is not a big market for art as a career and I for sure do not have the finances to move so I am thinking of something more vocational such as something along the lines of Electrician, welder, mechanic, auto body repair, HVAC, etc. that sort of stuff. Something that really doesnt require hearing to perform job functions. Sure its manly, but I have more guy friends than I do girl friends so in a sense I would likely become 'one of the guys' type thing. (And for the record I am quite straight sexually).

I am open to any suggestion out there. :ty:

More and more women are getting into the construction business so nothing wrong with that. Only question is will u enjoy those kinds of jobs? Important that u find something that u will like and doesnt feel like a mindless and boring job for u that u cant stand. If u do, by all means, go for it!

My dad is a painter for homes and has been in the business for 35 years. Still enjoys it. :)

Well I will admit that I hate standing in one spot all day doing the same job over and over and over... I would much prefer to be outside moving from place to place and feeling like I am actually seeing something accomplished not just wishing time goes by. So maybe construction is for me but I have no formal use of tools but willing to learn. I can use a hammer, a tape measure and a power drill. :D

I would shoot for Electronics Technology, I went to Hodgson votech for electronics and landed a job at Kodak, PSC, then climbed into Computer Technology. I am now a Technology Coordinator.

Was math a big part of the coursework??? I absolutely hate math. I sometimes get panic attacks when I see math problems that I have to complete. That could be a big problem if math is a major part of getting the certs.

I know several deafies who worked as car mechanics, construction, painters. One word about construction is that it is hard to get into as a deaf person because the companies are afraid that you can't hear and hurt yourself in an accident somehow. You will have to convince them that you can do it safely and that is the same for other vocational fields with hazards involved.

Such as perhaps sticking my finger in a light socket as an Electrician?? :lol:

I dont know I am still only bouncing the idea around in my head but not sure yet.

You are right that it is hard to get into the construction buisness as a deafie or hoh, which is why I dont want to jump directly into construction. I would rather do a job that doesnt really present alot of hazards, but pays well because you have the certs as well as the skills. I want to think this through completely before I go waste another $1,000+ bucks on something that won't pan out. Which is why I want to give it a good two or three year wait to make sure it is something I really want to do.

Back