Best games of 2004?

PyrollisAhFiros said:
Ahh yeah the good old days and yeah there were a lot of games that kept us busy! Yeah Super Mario Bros 3 is indeed awesome and still hold true to the replay value as well as did Final Fantasy 3 on the SNES for me.

Glad I'm not alone on that one. :)

I didn't laugh at you because I got Yoshi's Island but I have yet to try Story out.

Hmm, Yoshi's Island was a great game on the SNES. Great visuals... very creative. While Yoshi's Story is nice to look at, but god... what a disappointment the game was. Too pre-school-oriented if you ask me.

Well now, to ask why Sony should make the PSP, one should also ask why Microsoft should make the Xbox?

Exactly... so they can make more money. That's why they enter as much markets as they can.

Yes when Playstation came out, Nintendo 64's sales declined and you didn't mention one more thing that most developers were looking for back then, storage capacity.

But you do know that PS did come out before Nintendo 64 did. Yes, that is very true about storage capacity. That's why SquareSoft left Nintendo 64 for PS...

PSOne came out with CD-ROM as their primary medium storage while Nintendo still want to use the cartridge. That was one of the reasons why Squaresoft backed out of the deal with Nintendo because Squaresoft want to do CDs but Nintendo won't so SS backed out and went to Sony.

The cartridge was a big mistake to begin with. Like you do, I remember my history of video games quite well too. :)

Magatsu said:
Since Banjo and PyrollisAhFiros debate/discuss about PS2/Xbox, I want to grab the opportunity to share my opinion... that I do find Xbox attractive and a powerful console but it is not for me. I unfortunately am a RPG freak. Like what Banjo said about RPG/PS2. I made a choice to pick one console that I will play mostly.

I am a hardcore Xenogears/saga fan, I am following where Monolith Soft go. If they somehow decide to make a Xenosaga game as exclusive game for Xbox. I will abandon PS2 at a drop of a hat for Xbox.

I can be honest with you people, I didn't play the games that much as of lately... Even though I still bought the new games but stack these upon other games and let it collect the dust :( (beside Xenogears/Xenosaga games, that is).

Interesting discussion, both of you guys (Banjo and PAF).

Since you are a RPG freak I recommend you to try Fable (xbox) and Legend of the dragoon (psone) Legend of te dragoon is old but still good game. It also got 4 disc so its long.

For me:
Fable
Ninja gaiden
Metal Gear Solid 3 <--hell yea!
Burnout 3 <-- hell yea!

Wolfboy said:
Since you are a RPG freak I recommend you to try Fable (xbox) and Legend of the dragoon (psone) Legend of te dragoon is old but still good game. It also got 4 disc so its long.

For me:
Fable
Ninja gaiden
Metal Gear Solid 3 <--hell yea!
Burnout 3 <-- hell yea!
I proudly own Legend of the Dragoon game. I loved it! I replayed the game few times. I must admit that battle system is bit unstable and complicated... nevertheless LotD rocks.

I thought I saw somewhere that Bungie didn't want to be sold out by Microsoft but like you said, temptation got the best of them so they gave up and let MS take over. If they did have a choice, then I must have overlooked that and boy they did made a bad move but oh well that's in the past.

Ah yes, you're right about Rareware being a british company cuz I remember some british-themed games I couldn't remember but now it makes sense with the James Bond games :D.

I was also thinking of Digipen, the canadian university that's operated by Nintendo and only a chosen few can go there on a scholarship offered by Nintendo to develop games and such. Thanks for the correction.

Agreed about keeping things in mint condition, which is why I rarely let people borrow my consoles or movies because I know they will mishandle it in any ways and say, "Oops sorry about that". I would even ask them to pay a small fee for their error but they would get upset and say, "I will never borrow anything from you ever again." Now that part I wouldn't complain, because at least I will keep things in it's decent condition. I'm very picky as hell when it comes with people handling my stuff.

Yeah I know about the Q-Tip thing but at that time, I was young and didn't know about the Q-tip thing till just now. That was what a lot of people would say, "Blow in it and it should work afterwards" so naturally I would try the same thing cuz no one told me about the Q-Tip thing till I read some more information about the cartridges online and found out that Q-tip cleaning is the best way to go. Now I don't have any of the Jaguar games, but I still have some of the SNES games. I was stupid to sell the NES games along with like 100 games for it. That was because I was stupid back then to buy the Sega CD with the money I got from the NES and +100 games lol. Now I'm wiser and more aware of which products I want to buy, thanks to my mistakes I made in the past.

Yeah I think you are right about Nights being released on the Sega Saturn. I remember fiddling with the weird Genesis clone controller for the Saturn while playing Nights. The game itself looked good and everything but the controller sucked at that time, I couldn't do shit. That's one of the disadvantages of playing a game on a kiosk lol. It could have been the controller at that time, causing me to become frustrated with the game. My roommate, the one who bought the DC, said that Nights is awesome and I should play it on his Saturn, but he don't own a copy and we never got around to rent it at our local Blockbuster store. If it is, indeed, a good game, I'll take your word for it because it did look like an awesome game to me.

Yes, Sega did pave the road to online games with their "Sega Live" or something? I remember it had a glove or something as its logo, and you have to pay like 14.95 dollars per month to use its service and you can play a certain game in the Sega Game Library for only 3.95 dollars per month or something? It's fuzzy to me right now because that was a loooong time ago and I didn't want to do that because it didn't sound right to me and it was short-lived. Dreamcast was on the right track with PSO, but it didn't last. Now evidently, Xbox succeed with Xbox live due to broadband capability built in. Sony was late with that after releasing the HDD with network capability, but Sony did catch up on and yeah I agree with the slimmer version, limiting people from using the HDD to get on game servers like FFXI, was a bad move. That's rather shocking to me because Sony should have some common sense.

Magatsu said:
I proudly own Legend of the Dragoon game. I loved it! I replayed the game few times. I must admit that battle system is bit unstable and complicated... nevertheless LotD rocks.

:thumb: I still havent beaten it but got to the last boss so I end up saving there. I heard he got 3 forms so Im pretty much screwed since I dont have very much supplies :o

Forgot to mention that I got too busy so I have to give up my playing time and I dont have PS2 since my cousin have mine :tears:

I have LotD as well and I have yet to finish it because of its weird battle system. It was different from the battle system I'm so used with the Final Fantasy series. I have Xenosaga and Xenogear, but I never found the time to play them so I should sometimes soon. I have a lot more RPGs for the PSOne and PS2 as well as Super Nintendo like Final Fantasy 3 :D. I LOVE Final Fantasy 3 even to this day. I still consider it one of the best RPGs out there. There are some people who told me that they disagree with me because they liked FF7 better.

Wolfboy said:
:thumb: I still havent beaten it but got to the last boss so I end up saving there. I heard he got 3 forms so Im pretty much screwed since I dont have very much supplies :o

Forgot to mention that I got too busy so I have to give up my playing time and I dont have PS2 since my cousin have mine :tears:
PyrollisAhFiros said:
I have LotD as well and I have yet to finish it because of its weird battle system. It was different from the battle system I'm so used with the Final Fantasy series.
That game took me a while but I beat it. Very, very nice ending. I refuse to spoil it... whenever you can play again, be sure to beat it because it does offer worthwhile reward.

PyrollisAhFiros said:
I have Xenosaga and Xenogear, but I never found the time to play them so I should sometimes soon. I have a lot more RPGs for the PSOne and PS2 as well as Super Nintendo like Final Fantasy 3 :D. I LOVE Final Fantasy 3 even to this day. I still consider it one of the best RPGs out there. There are some people who told me that they disagree with me because they liked FF7 better.
PAF, speaking of FF6 (FF3), yeah I loved it. It is one of my favorite games to play as well. Most RPG freaks prefer FF4 (FF2) or FF7/FF8 over FF6 but as for me, I pick FF6 and Xenogears over any games in any era. I replayed FF6 on three different 'consoles' (SNES, PS and ePSXe [PS emulator]) :D

Wolfboy, btw you can play LotD on computer with PS emulator if you want to.

Magatsu said:
PAF, speaking of FF6 (FF3), yeah I loved it. It is one of my favorite games to play as well. Most RPG freaks prefer FF4 (FF2) or FF7/FF8 over FF6 but as for me, I pick FF6 and Xenogears over any games in any era. I replayed FF6 on three different 'consoles' (SNES, PS and ePSXe [PS emulator]) :D

Yeah I did like FF4 (FF2) but FF6 (FF3) was better :D. I have the Playstation version of it as well along with Chrono Trigger and some FF games like FF2, FF3, FF4, FF5 and FF6 (all japanese releases) on PSOne games.

PyrollisAhFiros said:
Yeah I did like FF4 (FF2) but FF6 (FF3) was better :D. I have the Playstation version of it as well along with Chrono Trigger and some FF games like FF2, FF3, FF4, FF5 and FF6 (all japanese releases) on PSOne games.
Ditto. I collected all of it :thumb: I am a hardcore Final Fantasy fan. But I didn't collect all of what SquareSoft (now SquareEnix) made though. Whenever I am done with cleaning, I will take several pictures of these games. I will never sell these... not over my dead body ;)

PyrollisAhFiros said:
Yeah I know about the Q-Tip thing but at that time, I was young and didn't know about the Q-tip thing till just now. That was what a lot of people would say, "Blow in it and it should work afterwards" so naturally I would try the same thing cuz no one told me about the Q-Tip thing till I read some more information about the cartridges online and found out that Q-tip cleaning is the best way to go.

Don't worry, I once thought that blowing was the way to go.

Yes, Sega did pave the road to online games with their "Sega Live" or something?

SegaNet, I believe. Glove as a logo? Hmm, I don't recall such a logo at all. Sorry.

I didn't want to do that because it didn't sound right to me and it was short-lived. Dreamcast was on the right track with PSO, but it didn't last.

Same here, I never subscribed to SegaNet because of the fact that it used phone line, and not broadband meaning a lot of lags.

Now evidently, Xbox succeed with Xbox live due to broadband capability built in. Sony was late with that after releasing the HDD with network capability, but Sony did catch up on and yeah I agree with the slimmer version, limiting people from using the HDD to get on game servers like FFXI, was a bad move. That's rather shocking to me because Sony should have some common sense.

Yup, I always couldn't figure out why Sony had removed such a feature from the slimmer PS2 especially when they had halted the production on the original model.

Xbox Live is a massive success. That's where Microsoft struck the jackpot on. It was really always about the online gaming that they were going after. That's the impression I got from Microsoft when they first unveiled the console.

Now, about Nintendo's next console code-named Revolution... hopefully it'll have some online capabilities. I meant, it would be nice to play against some of my friends at a game like Mario Kart over the internet. Or it would be really awesome to go on a Zelda quest with friends over the internet.

Image the possibilities... and hope that they'll add a frickin' keyboard. Something that I really want to see on Xbox Live, but probably won't happen.

PyrollisAhFiros said:
heh, too bad Halo 2 is on the XBox... If it was released for the PS2 or Gamecube, I just MIGHT try it... MIGHT... doesn't mean I will love it... But I will not buy a XBox just for Halo, that will be a big waste of money and XBox still have yet to bring out good games that will make me buy the XBox. Most of them suck and have absolutely no replay value except probably for Halo 1 & 2. I'm a hardcore game player coming from the days of Nintendo and Sega and I have yet to see a game that blow me away and got me glued to my seat and kept playing it till the wee hours like NES, Genesis and SNES games did. Thanks to today's pop culture and mindless teenagers drooling over the graphics rather than the game play and looking for cheats to beat some games (which is VERY PATHETIC and LAME), games suck now... Which is why I don't have an opinion on which game is the game of the year for 2004.
PyrollisAhFiros, I had heard this common sayings in public from hearing world. Not the reason why I bought xboxb for halo.. I was used to bash and hate xbox.. later my friend allowed me using his xbox to play the CIRCUS MAXIMUS* chariot wars* on my first games I Played.. I suddenly fallen in love with xbox. it is great graphic ans smooth better than Nintendo. Xbox always make my ass superglue on couch to playing all day or everyday.. in days of Nintendo, I barely had to playing.. I always think that Nintendo is HECK boring. Nintendo is good for kids... :naughty:

Back