Best Deaf School?

After i read your posts. I find it is interesting. I grew up in Fremnt and will still always truly to CSD. I am much rather to call CSD instead CSDF because sounds like to impressed where we are in or at. CSD was est first in California before Riverside est in Riverside. So, we called as CSD, when Riverside came in and we call them CSDR. Less confusing? Whenever you meet people who is from Fremont, when you ask them "what school are you from?" they would say,"CSD" then pause, add to it, "Fremont". Most of time they will reply, "Fremont" so obviously many of people know where it is at- California.

CSD Fremont is one of best school in this nation, and others few of schools which i respect them for their greatness but yes, we are still working on to be on high standard for them, kids. Many, i visited and heard from my friends who work at Fremont. They said that there are more, more mainstreaming students and outside of states came to Fremont to be student at. Its expand the numbers of students. Once of time in CSD, we used to have around 450-500 students in CSD. Yes, we are strict with rules which we cannot bend it or a little, because we want to do the best for students' experience and provide them what they need to meet. We do push them to overcome the best and be a elite what they able to above. Feel free to come and visit us and hear what you say about us :)

i must admitted that there are several Deaf schools are very good and still continue educate kids to meet the best expectation that what they want them to be. They are very much welcome to join the best schools. Its really dpepend on those schools that comes in budget what state/independent can afford teachers and workers.

Hey, there is no limit in the universe, go fly and show us.

I find it hard to believe that you guys are arguing which deaf school are the best.

We are a small community, working toward a common purpose- that is, educating our youths. Therefore, we shouldn't be arguing which school is the best, we should be discussing on HOW can we improve the schools that are under performing.

Pathetic, you guys are.

This will be the last time that you guys will ever hear from me so don't bother messaging me or replying to this message.

So long,

John Doe

I find it hard to believe that you guys are arguing which deaf school are the best.

We are a small community, working toward a common purpose- that is, educating our youths. Therefore, we shouldn't be arguing which school is the best, we should be discussing on HOW can we improve the schools that are under performing.

Pathetic, you guys are.

This will be the last time that you guys will ever hear from me so don't bother messaging me or replying to this message.

So long,

John Doe

Being of a contrary nature, we will all now reply to your message.

Welcome John Doe. Long live mainstream education!!

WHY talk about "the best deaf schools"?

Here is another perspective: parents of deaf/hh children who are DESPERATELY trying to find the BEST educational options for their children. In America, you live in one particular state--you have a child who is born in that state--you may or may not move to another state(or states) as that child grows up--your child is diagnosed with a hearing loss--OMG: what should we do to help him/her get the best education possible? So, you begin by looking into the local options in the particular state that you live in--sometimes the options are good, and sometimes they are not. You begin to look at other states--sometimes you see things that SEEM to be better options but you are not sure. You may consider moving your whole family to another state so that your deaf/hh child has access to that possible better option--but it is a HUGE deal to move your whole family based on these options. You really have to be SURE that you are making the right decision for your child and for the whole family. How can a parent make those comparisons and decisions without discussing them among other parents in the same situation and among deaf/hh people who have experienced some of these options? See what I mean? To a parent in my position, we REALLY need to have MUCH more discussion about: where are the BEST deaf schools located and WHY are they the best? How else are we going to find the proper education for our kids--just send them to whatever school is nearby? NO--I am NOT happy with our LOCAL options--they do NOT meet my child's needs. SO--I am looking at options in other states--the only way to really get a good idea of which schools may be best for my child is to discuss this exact topic: which deaf schools are best. Yes, there will be differing opinions on the matter, but the discussion--if lots of details are provided regarding each school--can be VERY VERY helpful to parents who are trying to find the best educational options for their children. PLEASE--MORE discussion so parents can be informed and make the best decisions for their deaf/hh children! PLEASE!

Here is another perspective: parents of deaf/hh children who are DESPERATELY trying to find the BEST educational options for their children. In America, you live in one particular state--you have a child who is born in that state--you may or may not move to another state(or states) as that child grows up--your child is diagnosed with a hearing loss--OMG: what should we do to help him/her get the best education possible? So, you begin by looking into the local options in the particular state that you live in--sometimes the options are good, and sometimes they are not. You begin to look at other states--sometimes you see things that SEEM to be better options but you are not sure. You may consider moving your whole family to another state so that your deaf/hh child has access to that possible better option--but it is a HUGE deal to move your whole family based on these options. You really have to be SURE that you are making the right decision for your child and for the whole family. How can a parent make those comparisons and decisions without discussing them among other parents in the same situation and among deaf/hh people who have experienced some of these options? See what I mean? To a parent in my position, we REALLY need to have MUCH more discussion about: where are the BEST deaf schools located and WHY are they the best? How else are we going to find the proper education for our kids--just send them to whatever school is nearby? NO--I am NOT happy with our LOCAL options--they do NOT meet my child's needs. SO--I am looking at options in other states--the only way to really get a good idea of which schools may be best for my child is to discuss this exact topic: which deaf schools are best. Yes, there will be differing opinions on the matter, but the discussion--if lots of details are provided regarding each school--can be VERY VERY helpful to parents who are trying to find the best educational options for their children. PLEASE--MORE discussion so parents can be informed and make the best decisions for their deaf/hh children! PLEASE!

I wouldnt look for people's differing opinion on what's the best deaf school but look for programs or schools that offer full access to an appropriate language (ASL) in the classrooms, keep ASL and English separate, use the public school curriculm, students are required read for at least 30 mins daily, have block times for math and language arts forbidding pull-outs during those times, kids grouped together appropriately (one program grouped 13 kids from 6 years old to 13 years old together in a self contained deaf class for all subject areas...bad idea), discrimination against deaf people is nonexistent, sentivity to deaf culture and deaf needs are practiced, and social opportunities are present for deaf children.

If a school or a program in a public school offers all of these, then it is a good deaf educational program.

I wouldnt look for people's differing opinion on what's the best deaf school but look for programs or schools that offer full access to an appropriate language (ASL) in the classrooms, keep ASL and English separate, use the public school curriculm, students are required read for at least 30 mins daily, have block times for math and language arts forbidding pull-outs during those times, kids grouped together appropriately (one program grouped 13 kids from 6 years old to 13 years old together in a self contained deaf class for all subject areas...bad idea), discrimination against deaf people is nonexistent, sentivity to deaf culture and deaf needs are practiced, and social opportunities are present for deaf children.

If a school or a program in a public school offers all of these, then it is a good deaf educational program.

:gpost:

I understand sometimes I wish be deaf classroom. I understand try best time > i hope be happy and encourage to you

What about Kansas School for the Deaf? One of my friends sent her daughter to KSD, and also mainstreamed her. Katie said that Remy's experiance at KSD was even better then her mainstream sitution.
I thought that Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind was supposed to be good, as well as Western Pennsylvania school for the Deaf. Also Austine School for the Deaf.

FSD???? No way Jose!!! I went to that school between 1982 to 1985. I used to attend mainstream schools before FSD. I was a very good student and I always got As. I love English and Math subjects. Once I transfered to FSD from my old school. Once I was in my classroom and doing my classwork. OMG, my English and Math was too way easy for me. I asked my teacher to give me higher level. My teacher said, You will have to wait for the students to finish their level and we will go next level. I was like what? This is too easy for me! She then said, be patient! My classmates took forever to finish the level. That was how I lost my motivation to learning Math and English. I always got Fs in the classroom. My mom got me out of that school and moved to Miami. So, I despite FSD! sorry but true!

Indiana School for the Deaf is worst ed in USA! They messed my brain about grammar and English that I don't understand.

Funny...they are rated as one of the best academically.

Yea, I wonder what year did this person go there? I know that back in the old days during the years of oralism, Deaf schools had lower standards but since the 1990s when MSD became the first Deaf school to adopt the public school curriculm, there has been a revamp in the standards.

Also, there were many teachers back there who didnt have the proper training to teach deaf children which could be another reason?

Yea, I wonder what year did this person go there? I know that back in the old days during the years of oralisms, Deaf schools had lower standards but since the 1990s when MSD became the first Deaf school to adopt the public school curriculm, there has been a revamp in the standards.

Also, there were many teachers back there who didnt have the proper training to teach deaf children which could be another reason?

True. I know that the past few years, IDS has been at the top of the list. And all deaf schools have revised their standards.

True. I know that the past few years, IDS has been at the top of the list. And all deaf schools have revised their standards.

I know that not all Deaf schools are perfect right now...

What school is?

I know that not all Deaf schools are perfect right now...

What school is?

Exactly. There are more mainstreamed schools that are dropping the ball on educating their students than there are deaf schools that are dropping the ball.

I know but teacher [Mod's Edit - names are removed], they really enjoy insults and bully to students and hard time to focus on grammar and they never get fired from principal. They were my english teacher that's why I don't understand the grammar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know but teacher [Mod's Edit - names are removed], they really enjoy insults and bully to students and hard time to focus on grammar and they never get fired from principal. They were my english teacher that's why I don't understand the grammar.

Damn...no teacher should ever insult nor bully kids...glad that they got fired. It is teachers like them who make the rest of us look bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked at a few

I have been spending time and money to find the "best"
deaf school for my son Joe. I think I have more current info than anybody. I noticed that lots of people like to post opinions about a school they have never seen because an opinion has been formed by the community as a whole. Anyway, everthing I write is first hand.

Indiana school for the deaf has 21 smart and deaf first graders and a pretty nice facility. The education is trying to be " on level" with hearing kids. The school is in an ugly depressed neighborhood that is more deserted than dangerous. The large number of deaf families in the area and Deaf teachers /administrators make this kind of a voice off environment. Its great to see so many deaf kids together learning and having fun. But its in Indiana.

Western pa school for the deaf is beautiful, well run, state of the art. Truly BiBi teachers say and sign everything. There are only 5 first graders. the neighborhood is shot, real ghetto on one side right outside the front gate. Kids could be on the bus for 45 minutes to get to a decent suburb. Beautiful homes next to the school are going cheap.

Ohio school for the deaf is big and a renovation is planned but enrollment amounted to only a handful of elementary students grouped K&1st, 2nd and 3rd etc. Nice school, no budget problems but no kids.

Maryland school for the deaf at Frederick I would call a classic deaf school. The new elementary school was soon to open when I visited in the fall of 07. I don,t know who will attend the new school because there were only a few first graders at the time of our visit. And the school is coupled with a deaf community that lives nearby and is voice off. the neighborhood is OK compared to the others I visited but traffic is horrible and the new school is on a busy off ramp. Like Ohio, the if you build it they will come plan May or may not work out.

Kendall model school is a very nice facility but is run like the federal program it is. I thought the place was stiff and
it had only a few first graders. It is on the campus of Gallaudet and is not surprisingly voice off. The neighborhood is rough and the university is planning to remove the fence surrounding the school. Why?

New jersey school for the deaf is shot. The state is giving operations over to a commission with no deaf ed experience. Something good could emerge say 3 to 5 years from now but currently you are looking at an old school with no funding and dwindling enrollment. Also the campus has been rented to all kinds of crummy social programs with nothing to do with deaf education. Its a mess.

I physically visited these six and found that the large numbers, On level philosophy, deaf community and deaf role models made Indiana a standout. When all three first
grade classes go to gym together its a wonderful thing.

Next I need info on Florida, Texas and California and that should cover any schools with big enrollments. I would appreciate any first hand info on these or other deaf schools.

cuz, I need full scoop on florida school for the deaf. Is that fsd where you attended?

My daughter went to PDSD here in Phoenix, while I don't consider it a
good school the fact is almost all the mainstreaming options were even worse.

I looked around for years and finally moved to a good school district that
had a good deaf program in one of their schools so I mainstreamed my daughter.

I used to be asked often by other parents if they should mainstream their
kids and I always told them "If your not in a school district that has a good
deaf program or you cant move to one stay at PDSD

Back