Best city for Deaf people?

You might want to avoid Ohio ..... We get more cold and snow than where you live. Jobs are the big factor .... Columbus has the Ohio school for the deaf, and Columbus has a big deaf population. I think there are about 50,000 deaf in Ohio, and probably the bulk of those people either living in the Cleveland, Columbus or Cincinnati areas. Maybe the most in Central Ohio. There is competition for jobs ..... Columbus State Community College has one of the biggest Interpreting-tranliterating programs in the state. They turn out about 30 or more graduates each semester. Then there is Ohio University, southeast of Columbus, and they turn out about the same amount of graduates. There are alot of graduates, but few jobs for interpreters in the Central Ohio area. Hospitals and police departments are always looking for assistance, but most don't want an on-call part time job with no benefits. Cost of living is right about in the middle in Ohio.
Pidgin

God Bless the little children before they become old enough to hate .... --Tom T. Hall

Last edited:
Riverside and the whole Inland Empire area is fine as long as you don't need to breathe. most of the year a yellow brown haze reduces visability to just a few miles and rarely can you see the mountains that are probably a dozen or so miles away

Although I don't go there often, Allston/Brighton area around Boston has quite a few Deafs. I used to go there when I was involved with deaf professional happy hour. I can't say it's as prevalent as D.C., but there is a lot of sign at some of those bars.

All those cities on the "Deaf friendly" list have Deaf schools in them, I believe. I live in Columbus and I know there is a big deaf population here.

Ouch, LA is really really expensive. I'm just getting out of college and I'd really prefer somewhere affordable, lol. Phoenix is a dustbowl and hot, too. I was thinking maybe somewhere around the D.C. area, possible... Baltimore, Alexandria, Richmond, etc. Not really sure yet, still doing research. :)

Deaf Friendly Cities

I found this web site for best cities for deaf people

Berkeley, Ca.

Back