best ASL book?

rockoutloudgirl

Reaction score
What do you think is the best and most accurate book that teaches ASL? because i have 3, and i only use one of them because it seems most accurate.

I don't know what your skill level is but I find the Signing Naturally series really good. They come with dvd's too which is a big help.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Signing-Naturally-Student-Workbook-Expanded/dp/0915035200]Amazon.com: Signing Naturally Student Workbook: Level 1, Expanded Edition: Cheri Smith, Ken Mikos, Ella Mae Lentz: Books[/ame]

These books are most often used in the classroom but I do just fine on my own. I'm in level 3 now.

I don't think that there's a 100% accurate book. It's a matter of how it's used and where you're using it.

I've read some ASL books where there were signs that I didn't even recognize, but I already knew the sign for it myself... from other sources.

So, who is to say which sign is accurate. There's no formal organization that approves these things.

I've seen some ASL teachers not approve some books that are approved by other ASL teachers. That's why I hesitate when it comes to helping ASL students with their ASL because I am sometimes shot down for doing it wrong due to being "incorrect" as stated by their ASL teachers. :roll:

Back