Belonging

defgrl

Reaction score
I have a condition called (C)APD. I read on the internet that it is a "physical hearing impairment." I scored at the FIRST PERCENTILE on a test battery recently. I also have some conductive loss (seems to come and go/get better or worse). The audiologist who diagnosed me with APD wrote up a report that said I had it, but has refused to fit me with hearing aids or even an ALD. She claims my hearing is normal. I had this condition diagnosed before, back in 1996, at the SAME PLACE. The audiologist I had then told earmolds that snapped on to a Y-CORD receiver and helped me learn how to use the ALD that I was able to get on loan through the "disability office" at a college I was attending at the time. It helped quite a bit. But it was REALLY EMBARRASSING to use. I like watching an interpreter much better.

When I was at my church picnic last August, I decided to sit with the Deaf members. We sat in the first row. And something kind of "scary" or "weird" happened that day. I could hear people talking some, but I could not understand what was going on. And when people started singing, I couldn't understand hardly anything. I ended up watching our interpreter because I HAD to. THAT was the day when I realized (for sure) that I was not a Hearing person anymore.:shock:

What was weird was I could understand most of what the interpreter was signing. But, then, have known how to sign for almost half my life. I am almost forty. I joined my church and took my Confirmation vows in sign language. It would have been almost impossible for me to do it by speech. I just have a lot of trouble talking in front of people sometimes. People have put me down for "talking funny." I switched cell phone companies and got a phone with M4/T4 HAC ratings. I got a hearing aid with a T-coil off the net and now I CAN HEAR ON THE PHONE A LOT BETTER! I can "catch" most of what is going on in church with my hearing aid, but I still miss a few things. I have learned to look over at the interpreter and "pick up" what I missed. But sometimes I can't seem to hear ANYTHING! I was assisting my pastor with Holy Communion a few weeks ago as an altar server, and I JUST couldn't hear his instructions. I felt REALLY SCARED. But my pastor just started signing to me and then everything was okay.

I still feel scared. Am I "hearing impaired" or "Hard-Of-Hearing?" My identity has been TAKEN AWAY from me. I am no longer a Hearing person, but what am I? :Ohno::Ohno::Ohno:

Central Auditory Processing Disorder is not deaf. See a psychiatrist instead.

Central Auditory Processing Disorder is not deaf. See a psychiatrist instead.

A little sensitivity, please.

APD is a neurobiologic/behavioral disorder and not a psychiatric disturbance. While some people benefit from amplification, a program of auditory/cognitice/behavioral rehabilitation is warranted. Not all audies are trained in or skilled at diagnosing or treating APD. You should seek a professional in your area with specific interest and expertise in APD. Often times these will be people associated with a teaching hospital or major medical center.

Okay, can someone explain how a HA would help someone who has this? I read a little about it, and it doesnt seem like people with this LOSE hearing- they just do not understand words and speech correctly all the time.

Welcome to AD.

but now im confused.

Okay, can someone explain how a HA would help someone who has this? I read a little about it, and it doesnt seem like people with this LOSE hearing- they just do not understand words and speech correctly all the time.

Welcome to AD.

but now im confused.

No, you're not confused. Generally HAs don't help this disorder. However FM systems can help focus on a single auditory input reducing the amount of confusing noise a person may hear. In some cases, it makes it easier for the person to comprehend the speech they are hearing.

A HA can make things clearer, not just louder. An ALD just makes things louder. An ALD can't help me hear better on the phone. A HA can.

i had a friend who has CAPD from America, i thought CAPD was being able to hear but unable to understand sound or information being given, a hearing aid would not help but maybe ASL?

Amplification Unit

Hi. New to this site. I have a child with capd. We use a amplication unit that is so small that the unit for the ear fits in the plam of her hand. The speaker/teacher wears a small transmitter either on their belt or in their pocket. The microphone clips to their collar. It does not block any ambient noice but allows her to focus on that voice. Even with this device, focus and attention are challenging. A scraping chair, pencil tapping at the back of the room or just whispered talking makes it difficult to focus. Signing is a great tool for those times when the room or gathering is noisy or if there are words that are similar in their beginning or ending sound. My goal, one at least, it to form a support group for kids with capd. Offer social and signing opportunities and well as serve as a resource for information and advocacy. Most school districts wants to plunk a hearing aid the size of a small box of cereal around a kids' neck. That is simply inappropriate.

A little sensitivity, please.

APD is a neurobiologic/behavioral disorder and not a psychiatric disturbance. While some people benefit from amplification, a program of auditory/cognitice/behavioral rehabilitation is warranted. Not all audies are trained in or skilled at diagnosing or treating APD. You should seek a professional in your area with specific interest and expertise in APD. Often times these will be people associated with a teaching hospital or major medical center.

This person has a BA. Plus mental illness. This is new facet of the mental illness.

Hi. New to this site. I have a child with capd. We use a amplication unit that is so small that the unit for the ear fits in the plam of her hand. The speaker/teacher wears a small transmitter either on their belt or in their pocket. The microphone clips to their collar. It does not block any ambient noice but allows her to focus on that voice. Even with this device, focus and attention are challenging. A scraping chair, pencil tapping at the back of the room or just whispered talking makes it difficult to focus. Signing is a great tool for those times when the room or gathering is noisy or if there are words that are similar in their beginning or ending sound. My goal, one at least, it to form a support group for kids with capd. Offer social and signing opportunities and well as serve as a resource for information and advocacy. Most school districts wants to plunk a hearing aid the size of a small box of cereal around a kids' neck. That is simply inappropriate.

Exactly. Sign language is not only for the deaf but for anybody outside deafness like down's syndrome because of thick tongue, etc. I wish that hearing people would realized that and not try to get rid of sign language.

By the way, welcome to AD, princeton.

No, you're not confused. Generally HAs don't help this disorder. However FM systems can help focus on a single auditory input reducing the amount of confusing noise a person may hear. In some cases, it makes it easier for the person to comprehend the speech they are hearing.

Exactly. By focusing the input, the cognitive process experiences less overload.

This person has a BA. Plus mental illness. This is new facet of the mental illness.

i don't understand what you are referring to in this post when you say that "this is a new facet of the mental illness." could you clarify? apd is not a mental illness, if that's what you are claiming.

by the way, welcome to ad princeton.

i don't understand what you are referring to in this post when you say that "this is a new facet of the mental illness." could you clarify? apd is not a mental illness, if that's what you are claiming.

by the way, welcome to ad princeton.

Here is a collection of previous posts by the poster to give an idea.

I have what is called "cortical" hearing impairment. For me, to "hear" is to feel vibrations on my eardrums. It is a "subset" of the tactile (touch) sense. Sometimes smell/taste merge. Lights have rhythms. Yet I can "pass" for a Hearing person to a large extent. I have a "genius IQ." I grew up in a Hearing family, with English as my first language. But, somehow, Sign has become my primary language. I am a polyglot. (But I READ the languages.) My world is largely visual-spatial. I also have neurological disabilities.
People tell me I have "Central Auditoral Processing Disorder" and try to treat it like it is an LD or something. But I have a CORTICAL HEARING IMPAIRMENT that affects my life each and every day. In terms of Deaf Culture I am "Hard-of-Hearing." There are conductive problems, sersorineiral problems, and cortical problems. Problems can be mild, moderate, severe, or profound. People can have problems with sounds and speech, sounds only, or speech only. I have many more problems with speech. I have even met audiologists who "didn't get it." They just can't accept the fact that I am from a different culture/language group. That I am "not a broken Hearing person."
I am wearing BTEs in both ears. The last time I had my hearing tested, the audiologist failed to take me seriously. She did not do a hearing aid consult as she was supposed to. She seems to think that I am a Hearing person. But I flunked four of her tests. She seems to think I have something called Central Auditory Processing Disorder. I have cortical deafness. I have an entire book about this "disorder." I wear HA's because they help. This audiologist recommended a personal FM system. For what? And something called "Earobics." Honestly. She acts like I have a learning disability or something. I use an interpreter at my church for Sunday School every week. And I see a signing psychologist. I switched mobile phone providers and got a different phone because I COULD NOT HEAR on the other one. I am seeing a new family doctor soon-with an interpreter. So I do not MISS anything. I would MUCH RATHER have people see HA's than have them think I am "stupid" or worse yet "nuts." I think of myself as Hard-of-Hearing
I can relate very well to these posts. I am HoH, highly/exceptional gifted, TS, probably have an ASD, etc. People (Hearing) often treat me as if I were "crazy" or "stupid" or not Deaf. Even my own family doesn't get it. They can't even sign. Don't want to learn either
For years, I had known how to sign and had Deaf friends, etc. However, I had always labelled myself as "Hearing." I have had "Deaf feelings" for many years, but I thought that I was "nutso" or that something was wrong with me in some way because I had these feelings and experiences. When I learned Sign at age 20, I felt like a whole new world opened up for me. Sure, I wanted to be Deaf. I wanted to belong! But I did not find out about my own hearing problem(?s) until 1996. Even then, I still continued to label myself as "Hearing." I have started asking Deaf people what I am. Most say I have to decide for myself. I have more trouble with mainstream society's definition of deafness (small "d") than with Deaf people definition of Deafness (big "D"). For now, I am calling myself "Hard-of-Hearing" However, I am not trying to hide who I am from the Deaf Community. I am also see a psychologist. However, he is HOH himself and he can sign. Very well, in fact. There are some people who insist that I am "Hearing." But they will conceed that I am "hearing impaired." I think some of the confusion is from all the different labels and the different views. I have Asperger's and I may have LD's as well. I am a visual-spatial learner. I think Sign IS easier to communicate in.
I take Topamax. I was taking Seroquel (don't ask me why). I had a LOT of problems with the Seroquel. It is called an "atypical neuroleptic." I knew that people took Topamax for various reasons, but I did not know people could take it for PTSD. I am so very glad and grateful to learn things from others.
Well, I can say that hormones drove me nuts--almost literally. It is not very pleasant for part of the month, but PILLS make it WORSE! One doctor told me I needed to see a counselor
I have tried counseling or therapy many times, but I never got anywhere. It was almost always "Hearing people" implying that there was something "wrong" with me that needed to be "fixed." I became EXTREMELY DEPRESSED from such "interventions." I have found a wonderful psychologist who is HOH himself and who SIGNS. Instead of feeling angry and sad all the time, I am starting to feel hopeful and even happy part of the time. My pastor recommended him.
A psychiatrist wanted to put me on Geodon very recently, but luckily I knew better! Thank you for the info!
I get the feeling that some people don't really belive I truly have a hearing problem. People have even accused me of lying when I have tried to explain that I am Deaf. They think I mean I have a 100% hearing loss in both ears. I have a conductive hearing loss in both ears, but I have NEVER had a "hearing aid consult." I am wearing one hearing aid in my right ear. I bought it myself off the internet. I am making a very deliberate choice to join the Deaf Community.

I have a central hearing impairment also. It causes lots of problems for me Especially with understanding spoken language in groups. I need Sign. I will ALWAYS need Sign. It was difficult for me to acknowledge that, but I have become more confident since I started using an interpreter. I have been working with a HOH psychologist who SIGNS. It is the only therapy that has ever really worked. I found out I have Asperger's also. So I have a lot to deal with, but I have been getting plenty of support from the local Deaf Community. I think it is just wonderful
I am on disability here in Ohio. I qualified because of OCD and Tourette's Syndrome. I believe than I CAN work, at least part-time. But my hearing problems and my Asperger's are NOT listed with the state. Neither is the PTSD, depression. or a possible learning disability. People have just written me off as "mentally ill" for several years in the system. Even though I am very intelligent and have a B.A. from a local university, "the system" has never found me a "real job." I have had better luck finding jobs on my own. But, I want a "real" job. Something that lasts. I fail to understand why the "rehab" people put a Deaf person in programs for Hearing people
I got hearing tests recently. No HA consult was done. Going back on Thursday for the consult. And to explain results. Said for my hearing problem I should use an FM system. Haven't even got that! Terp is supposed to come this time. I want to use HA's, NOT FM system!
I wish I COULD get someone to help me make some decisions about how to treat my hearing loss. However, I have been BLOWN OFF by audiologists. They REFUSE to do ANYTHING about my hearing loss. Either they claim that my hearing is "normal," still in normal range, not bad enough to be fitted, or that they don't take my insurance. One of my hearing problems will NEVER show up on a standard audiogram, because it is not a CONDUCTIVE loss. It is either central/cortical, neural, or sensori-neural. I am REALLY SCARED that I might have something wrong with my brain. I could have acoustic neuroma or acoustic dysynchrony. My hearing FLUCTUATES. Sometimes people's voices will just DISAPPEAR, like somebody flipped a switch or something. I am just so SAD that no one will take me seriously. Except for people at my church and my psychologist. Sometimes, it is so bad that I really don't want to live anymore. I have turned to signing Deaf people because they are very understanding and suppotive.
I have been REFUSED a hearing aid consult after I was told I would get one. I even had a terp come! This audiologist said my hearing was "normal" and said I only had "a few delays" (with my other hearing problem). I thought I was promised help to get at least an FM system, but she did not even do that! Is this DENIAL OF SERVICES?!? There were certain things I wanted put in writing. She refused. I have DOCUMENTATION of BOTH my hearing problems from BEFORE! My audiogram is NOT normal and I have CAPD very bad. Even HER report says I have CAPD! Also, she did not explain the report! What kind of an IDIOT would bring a terp and try to get things cleared up if that person had normal hearing?!? I did NOT understand what happened this first time with NO TERP! I STILL do not understand! What should I do

Hope that history in her own words can clarify.

Hope that history in her own words can clarify.

it does. :ty: shadow.

by the way, this is for princeton. geodon isn't a bad med. i used to take it for my auditory hallucinations, delusions and paranoia. each of us is different, but it worked wonderfully well for me. i'm now on risperdal (the attending psychiatrist at the time who prescribed geodon switched me to risperdal although i have no idea why), but it doesn't work as well for me as geodon. i'm thinking about switching back to geodon once my rapid cycling (bipolar) is stabilized.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Very interesting articles from Shadows about their hearing impairements that make the audiologist think that they are hearing and need psychiatrist to help them with their hearing problems. I have never thought of that way before. :hmm: I feel you and understand your situation. Anyway, you come to the right place here and still find some interesting discussions on many of the topics about deafness, Deaf Culture and ASL. I hope you can stay and have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

People with CAPD have trouble "fitting" into a category. Try reading the book, "When The Brain Can't Hear."

Back