being deaf?

Ugh and :mad: at the hearing school that don't provide special accommodations for the Deaf. The hearing principals, hearing teachers and hearing students don't understand why we are struggling to try to understand in the hearing classrooms. So I am :pissed: and give a :noway:.

well it doesnt bother me to attend hearing college as i do now. as long as they provide me with the accommodations i need. its when they dont that i loose my cool.
to each his own though...

well it doesnt bother me to attend hearing college as i do now. as long as they provide me with the accommodations i need. its when they dont that i loose my cool.
to each his own though...

That is true. When I went to Seattle Central Community College in Seattle, Washington, they have the best Deaf program accommodations for me to have an ASL interpreters and notetakers. I was very happy with that. I got excellent grades way better than in mainstream high school. Of course it is a hearing college, but in high school. :noway:

ohh because im at a hearing school.
people look at you wierd.
its hard to get accommodations.
they asssume things all the time.
no one seems to understand.
and everyone thinks i have all deaf friends.
thats not true it makes me feel bad i have of hearing as well.

ohh because im at a hearing school.
people look at you wierd.
its hard to get accommodations.
they asssume things all the time.
no one seems to understand.
and everyone thinks i have all deaf friends.
thats not true it makes me feel bad i have of hearing as well.

Why not transfer if you feel weird in your setting? RIT or Gallaudet.

My hearing school was great. They hada deaf support unit and provided us with all the accomodations. All the deaf people stuck together anyway

I think that a hearing school with a deaf support unit/formal deaf program is an awesome option. One of the problems with a regular school regualr classes is that even most if not all of the sped teachers don't know how to teach kids like us. So as a result we're lumped in with the " Ummm who's President Obama?" kids who are legion in sped b/c its nothing more then a dumping ground.

I hated it because I was the only deaf kid there until high school. I was put at the front row and expected to understand everything that was going on. I missed out probably 95% of everything. Socializing became hellish around 5th grade when dynamics changed from play to chatting. Also, there was the bullying issue that I had to deal with on top of it.

Yes, I have many friends but that was made possible by one-on-one socializing. If it wasnt for that, I wouldnt have any friends. However, one-on-one socializing didnt happen too often as socializing was in large groups so I had to pretend so often that I believed I could understand what everyone was saying.

Also, I had identity issues which lead to the near destruction of my self-esteem.

I give my hearing school experience a thumbs down.

I hated it because I was the only deaf kid there until high school. I was put at the front row and expected to understand everything that was going on. I missed out probably 95% of everything. Socializing became hellish around 5th grade when dynamics changed from play to chatting. Also, there was the bullying issue that I had to deal with on top of it.

Yes, I have many friends but that was made possible by one-on-one socializing. If it wasnt for that, I wouldnt have any friends. However, one-on-one socializing didnt happen too often as socializing was in large groups so I had to pretend so often that I believed I could understand what everyone was saying.

Also, I had identity issues which lead to the near destruction of my self-esteem.

Eeew... That sounds like me before I found AllDeaf.

And I would give it a thumb down for the same reasons.

I'm joining right in with Shel90 and souggy too.

It was like that for me too.

Thumbs down all around.

This. I've experienced exactly same thing. This is coming from deaf person with cochlear implant.

I can't describe how brutal highschool was for me. Since I grew up in oralism/audism family who is embarrassed of my deafness. I never wanted to have ASL interpreter or deaf technologies. Simply because I was completely ignorant and embarrassed about my deafness. Proclaimed that I can hear as good as hearing people and that I understood everything what the teachers say. Yet I probably missed 80% of what the teacher says.

Socially? Pfffffff yeah right, I never fit in ANYWHERE in hearing school. I tried SO hard to fit in like you wouldn't believe how many groups that I drifted one to another. Whenever I make new "friends" 99% of the time, I get left out in conversation. I ended up sitting on lunch table pretending like I understood everything.

My opinion about school? I believe deaf people should do well in bi-bi program with ASL interpreter and note taker. There should be at least 40-50 deaf people enrolling. Deaf people should NOT go through this oralism bullshit. It's lonely and isolating. It really sucks to be the only deaf person in your school.

Last edited:
ehh... high school wasn't the best years of my life, especially 9th grade being the worst ever. I was very much a loner, the only deaf one in the entire school, etc. It sucked for me, period.

I was lucky, I guess from what I read others. I had a great time at hearing high school. We had ASL classes for those hearing students and many of them become skilled interpters. I was well know by those students and they were good to me and others. Of course we had an interpters and homeroom in case we needed some help. I was involved in many active clubs even they picked me as treasurers, vice president and presdient of those clubs. Then my favorite was drama club and we had plays few time which it was successful. It was all thank to my mother and one teacher who made it happened for many of us. Those programs are no longer exist now cuz I graduated 30 years ago.

My school experience at high school was pretty bad, because I was the only deaf scholar in the whole school, so I have had it pretty bad, I was totally isolated, had very little friends, didn't fit in at all...but I had to prove them all wrong, and trust me you need no one at all, to achieve some sort of success in your life.

My varsity experience was slightly better, I went to a normal university, with very little support, in fact almost no support, but I made some really good friends who tried to understand the nature of my disability and trust me they provided all the support that was necessary for me to really excel.

However, varisty was not all that good...I'll give you an example: When I was sitting in the front row, so I could lip-read my lecturer, a group of guys were making a huge noise in the back of the lecture room, so he basically moved to the back of the lecture room and started lecturing from there. So I put my hand up and said, Sir, I need to be able to lip-read you so could you move to the front, this is what he said: "There is no way that I am going to move to the front because of one person". I walked out, and so did half the class.

He apologized to me later, but it was too late...I will never respect someone who is not human enough, it is not that I feel sorry for myself, I never did, but surely when you are educated enough, surely you would impart your education to those that need it and those who are willing to listen to it, and not a bunch of idiots who make noise in the back.

For the record, those guys that were making all those noises where sitting in the back, and I am already a qualified accountant.

So...life hasn't been all plain sailing...

My hearing school have good deaf accommodation, but there is a lack of social involvement for me, and I wish I could go to Gallaudet, but it's just tooooooooooo far away from my life and the people I've lived with all my life. And my budget. I feel torn between my family and the potential social life I could have at deaf school. That's how I feel about attending hearing school.

Hi

I went to a hearing school. they felt that having deaf support was going too far. school was a waste of time. everyone knew that. the state foster care system wanted a babysitter. now out of care am in the correspondence school. Looking into attending a cued speech class via webcam for most of lessons. As I want to go to gulladet. and nz's currium is 2 years behind the usa's.

Back