Be careful buying/selling on craigslist

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is too sad and senseless. The victim met the "buyers" in public, like recommended but he still got killed. I know my daughter and others have said they are quitting Craig's List. They don't feel safe anymore. :(

Police: Man murdered after suspects respond to Craigslist ad

Charleston County deputies say two suspects have been arrested in connection with the murder of a Beaufort man whose body was found near a power substation in Mt. Pleasant Monday night.

Jquan Scott, 19, and Isaac Williams, 20, have been arrested for the kidnapping and murder of 25-year-old William Alexander Apps. Bond was denied for both men Tuesday night.

The Charleston County Coroner's Office confirmed Tuesday that Apps, of Meeting Street, was found dead by detectives near a power substation off Magrath Darby Boulevard around 8:30 p.m. Monday, several days after he was reported missing.

According to the coroner's office, Apps died from a gunshot wound to the head.

At a press conference Tuesday, Sheriff Al Cannon said Apps was trying to sell his truck on Craigslist and the suspects responded to his ad. He met the two men last Thursday at a Hardees in downtown Charleston, where he was then kidnapped.

Cannon said Apps was sitting in the front passenger seat of the truck when one of the suspects shot him. His body was later dumped in Mt. Pleasant.

Scott then drove Apps' truck to USC Beaufort to party with friends after the shooting, deputies say.

After he as caught, Cannon said Scott led authorities to Apps' body Monday night.

Charleston County Detention Center records show Scott was booked into the jail just before 10:30 p.m. on charges of murder, kidnapping, armed robbery, and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime.

Williams has been charged with kidnapping and murder.

Records also show Scott is being held on charges out of Beaufort County. According to Beaufort County Sheriff's Sergeant Robin McIntosh, their only involvement with the Apps case is an investigation into the fraudulent use of his credit cards. Apps is originally from Beaufort.

Scott is expected to appear for a bond hearing later Tuesday.

Apps was last seen in the area of Spring Street in downtown Charleston and in the I'on subdivision in Mt. Pleasant last Thursday around 5 p.m.

Apps' friends and family took to social media pleading for information on his whereabouts over the weekend after losing contact with him.

According to his Facebook profile, Apps studied biology at the College of Charleston and used to work as a tour guide for the Carolina Polo Carriage Company.

http://m.live5news.com/#!/newsDetail/23635747

The victim:

https://www.facebook.com/waapps?fref=browse_search

Last edited:
Do you remember the Craig's List killer Philip Markoff ? I think he killed two women. He was going to be a doctor . He was a real
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde!

Yeah, lots of crazy people out there, I remember when I bought my motorcycle, I bought it in a busy shopping center parking lot and I brought my father and had him hold the money while he stayed in the car. It went smoothly, but it still could have gone very wrong had they turned out like the guy in that article.

The parking lot I was in, was under cameras from multiple angles, so had this happened, it would have been recorded and being as busy as it is, the gunshot would have been reported instantly by someone.

I seldom go on craigslist, not because I fear this happening, but because I don't need anything off there, have no money to buy anything or have anything to sell. But the best thing, despite the article, meet in a very busy public setting with security cameras, bring someone along and NEVER have them meet you at your residence or their residence.

It doesn't matter if it's craiglist or not. It can happen to any other community ads by arrange to meet and face something horrible going on.

Oh wow, that's very sad. :(

What's cold, sick murderers!

Remembering the movie "The Craigslist Killer"....Just gotta be extra careful these days...

It doesn't matter if it's craiglist or not. It can happen to any other community ads by arrange to meet and face something horrible going on.

True, there's no way to prevent this from happening - it can happen from a chance meeting, posting an add at college, or in a public forum. I remember reading about a woman that was pregnant who was murdered by a woman she met through social forums - in fact she hung up the phone saying something like "That's her now, I've gotta go." She killed her and carved out the baby as I recall, don't remember if the child died or lived. This is why you always need to take precautions no matter what the time of day or circumstance.

Laura

Holy crap! What sick people! If I sell anything on Craigslist, I always take someone with me..... and a gun..... :D Can't be too safe now a days. I'm glad they found out who did it though, so they can't do it again. :(

:(

The Post and Courier
Sheriff: Charleston man shot to death after meeting 2 men through Craigslist for truck sale
Glenn Smith
Updated: Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:04 p.m.

William Apps, 25, was found shot to death in Mount Pleasant Monday night.
The man accused of killing William Alex Apps after arranging to buy his pickup off Craigslist drove to Beaufort in the stolen truck to party with friends after dumping the body, using the victim’s debit card to finance his road trip, authorities said.

Jquan Marqel Scott, 19, of James Island bought food from Taco Bell and Wendy’s, some sneakers and gas while Apps’ worried family tried in vain to reach the 25-year-old Charleston man, who disappeared Thursday, Beaufort County Sheriff P.J. Tanner said.

Isaac Williams is charged with kidnapping William Apps, whose body was found in Mount Pleasant Monday night. Oct. 8, 2013.

Scott was still driving Apps’ stolen truck when investigators caught up with him Sunday, Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon said. Scott offered a host of explanations before finally confessing that he had shot Apps in the head and left him for dead in a stand of woods in Mount Pleasant, Cannon said.

Scott led investigators from the two counties to Apps’ body Monday, just hours after the local sheriff’s office issued a missing person alert, Cannon said.

Scott, of Greenhill Road, is charged with murder, armed robbery, kidnapping and possession of a weapon during a violent crime in connection with Apps’ death. His bail was set at $150,000 on the robbery and weapons charges Tuesday night, with no bail set on the murder and kidnapping charges.

A second suspect, 20-year-old Isaac R. Williams of Rutledge Avenue in Charleston, is also charged with kidnapping and murder and is being held in the Charleston County jail awaiting a circuit judge to set bail.

Apps, a College of Charleston student who grew up in Beaufort, agreed to meet the two men at a Hardee’s restaurant on Spring Street about 4 p.m. Thursday to sell them a 2006 Chevrolet pickup truck he had advertised on the online classifieds site, Cannon said.

Apps’ mother showed up as well with the title to the truck, but he sent her home after the deal didn’t go through, opting to give the men a test drive by himself, Cannon said. While they were crossing the Ravenel Bridge into Mount Pleasant, Scott allegedly shot Apps in the head while Apps was sitting in the passenger seat. They dumped his body in woods near a power substation off Magrath Darby Boulevard, Cannon said.

It is unclear whether the robbery was planned ahead of time or was a spur-of-the-moment proposition, Cannon said. “It’s hard to figure out what their thought processes were in that regard,” he said.

After the killing, Scott drove to Apps’ hometown of Beaufort to party with friends in Bluffton who attend a nearby University of South Carolina campus, Cannon said.

Tanner said he received a call from a friend of Apps’ family who was worried because no one could reach Apps and he had not shown up for appointments on Friday.

His last Facebook post was at 4:56 p.m. on the day he disappeared. The post, made from a mobile phone, indicated that he was near Charleston. It read: “Time to go ride in the country.”

Then, nothing.

Tanner said investigators tracked Apps’ debit card and saw it had been used to purchase gas in Yemassee, to buy food and sneakers, and to shop at a Beaufort-area Walmart.

“It wasn’t like someone was trying to use the card to drain his account,” he said. “The charges appeared reasonable, buying things that whoever owned the card might buy for themselves.”

Still, investigators kept digging, and phone records and other clues eventually led them to Scott, Tanner said. Detectives contacted him and he agreed to meet them Sunday in Jacksonboro. He showed up driving Apps’ truck with a girlfriend in tow, he said.

Scott told detectives he had purchased the truck from Apps on Thursday but Apps didn’t have a bill of sale, Tanner said. So, Scott explained, Apps gave him a debit card to hold as collateral until they could sign the paperwork and formalize the purchase, he said.

Scott offered to let them check out the truck.

“He was very cooperative,” Tanner said. “The arrangement seemed unusual, but it could have happened that way.”

Deputies allowed him to leave, and Scott also agreed to meet with Charleston County investigators later in the day on James Island, where he told them a similar story, authorities said.

But as investigators continued to dig and interview people, their doubts about Scott and his explanation grew, Tanner said. When Apps still hadn’t shown up by Monday morning, they knew it was time to move in on the suspect, he said.

“It was obvious by Monday morning that things were not adding up,” he said.

Detectives zeroed in on Scott and, on Monday, he changed his story and implicated himself in the crime, Cannon said.

Investigators searched the pickup truck and found blood and other evidence inside, Cannon said. They have not located the gun used to kill Apps, he said.

In addition to the Charleston County charges, Beaufort, Jasper and Hampton county investigators plan to charge Scott in connection with the stolen debit card use, Tanner said.

Neither Scott nor Williams has a prior criminal record in South Carolina, according to State Law Enforcement Division records. Scott had enrolled to attend Charleston Southern University in January, attorney Jim Brown of Beaufort said at his bail hearing, as Scott sniffled and wiped his eyes.

But John Strubel, a spokesman for Charleston Southern University, said Scott had not been accepted to attend school there and was never a prospective student.

According to his Facebook page, Scott is a graduate of James Island Christian School. Several members of his church were at his bail hearing to show their support. He played football for the school and for Crown College, a Christian school in Minnesota, according to his page and recruiting sites.

Scott indicated on Facebook last month that he was sitting out college football this year but was back in town and trying out for a semi-pro football team.

State Rep. Shannon Erickson, R-Beaufort, is a close friend of the Apps family. She said Apps was a graduate of Beaufort Academy and planned to study law in Charleston. She described him as a talented athlete with a passion for soccer and hunting.

“He’s just the best young man you would ever want to meet,” she said. “He grew up with a mom and dad who were very connected to the community and to the environment. He has been hunting, fishing and playing sports since he was old enough to toddle around.

“He was also a great conversationalist and very helpful,” she said. “He was just everyone’s friend.”

Apps had worked in Charleston at Carolina Polo and Carriage Co., which offers horse-drawn carriage tours downtown. Company owner Richard Rhett Knoth said Apps’ co-workers were “deeply saddened and shocked by” his death.

“Alex was a kind soul who passed his love of the Lowcountry on to thousands of visitors and locals alike,” he said in a written statement. “Alex was a faithful ambassador of our dear city and he will be greatly missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.”

Dave Munday contributed to this story. Reach Glenn Smith at 937-5556 or Twitter.com/glennsmith5.
Sheriff: Charleston man shot to death after meeting 2 men through Craigslist for truck sale – The Post and Courier

I wouldn't sleep. I'm up thinking of this story. It scares me. It would have happened to anyone including me. It makes me think hard about doing business on craigslist.

Even if Apps had been armed he would have been taken by surprise. The suspect was from the story a fairly good liar under pressure.

The thing about these kinds of stories that gets me is the apparent belief by the suspects that they can just do these things and get away with it. Often they do because they act randomly still they get caught. As there are more surveillance cameras and more constant contact by people they get tripped up by their overconfidence.

I would bet money that the guy who did this shooting has done this before. Maybe not using craigslist but some other way entirely. I believe he has no record but I do not believe this was his first major crime. I hope the investigation continues into his past, its there I know it.

the day after the guy got shot in Charleston, my 20 year old son was trying to buy a truck off of Craigslist in Charleston. He had not heard about the guy that was killed. He agreed to meet the guy in the walmart parking lot thinking that it would be safer. a friend was supposed to go with him but something happened at the last minute and his friend couldn't go. Well to make a long story short my son went ahead and met the guy... while he was looking at the truck he got hit in the head with something... he went down to the ground and suddenly there were3 guys kicking him in the face and side. One guy held his hands the other one held his feet and the 3rd guy went in to his pocket and got the $2,700.00 and took the keys to his vehicle and threw them . My son was beat pretty bad and lost all his money but luckily he is alive! I had no idea he was going to meet some one.
The police made a report but the guy used a trap phone so there was no way to trace it back to the owner. These guys had this plan well thought out and were out of there in less than 3 minutes they also knew exactly where the cameras were in the parking lot and managed to stay out of the recording areas.

the day after the guy got shot in Charleston, my 20 year old son was trying to buy a truck off of Craigslist in Charleston. He had not heard about the guy that was killed. He agreed to meet the guy in the walmart parking lot thinking that it would be safer. a friend was supposed to go with him but something happened at the last minute and his friend couldn't go. Well to make a long story short my son went ahead and met the guy... while he was looking at the truck he got hit in the head with something... he went down to the ground and suddenly there were3 guys kicking him in the face and side. One guy held his hands the other one held his feet and the 3rd guy went in to his pocket and got the $2,700.00 and took the keys to his vehicle and threw them . My son was beat pretty bad and lost all his money but luckily he is alive! I had no idea he was going to meet some one.
The police made a report but the guy used a trap phone so there was no way to trace it back to the owner. These guys had this plan well thought out and were out of there in less than 3 minutes they also knew exactly where the cameras were in the parking lot and managed to stay out of the recording areas.

So sorry to hear that. Let's hope the police can catch those criminals and put them away! Hope your son will recover ok. What a terrible experience!

Oh shit! Same city within 2 days! :shock: Thank God for that your son is alive. At least he knows what make, model, year and color of the truck for the police to catch those motherfu*kers.

Oh, my! :shock:

So sorry to hear that. Let's hope the police can catch those criminals and put them away! Hope your son will recover ok. What a terrible experience!

Thank you. I am hoping the police are able to find them too. It was obvious by how fast they were and by how they had everything planned that this wasn't their first rodeo! The physical injuries have healed but he keeps playing it over and over in his head. He keeps telling me that if he saw it coming he would have been able to fight or run... do something other than be a victim but I keep telling him if he would have fought back they probably would have killed him.

Back