Auditory Processing Question

Hockey94

Reaction score
Hey,

Ok so, I have bilateral cochlear implants and I hear pretty good with the two of them.

When I was born though, I was diagonosed with a hearing loss in both ears. My mom felt there was something else wrong, and has fought with docters for years, that I also had auditory processing.

So, I am not excatley sure if I do have auditory processing because I can't seem to find on Google, a deaf/hearing impaired person who also has auditory processing.

I do not know excatley what it is and wondered about your opinion on this.

I think I may have it because.. I noticed a few times, someone says something to me... but the words gets lost inside my head, like I could hear the person but the words would not make sense.

A few times, I would mix words into sentences to try figure out what a person said, usually a compliment. (When I'm alone, and I'm trying to figure out what was said) - I swear it's one of my favourite activies lol. >.<

But again, I don't know if deaf/hearing impaired people go through all this.

I'll also mention, I'm oral, I lipread, and I don't sign. I know some sign language because sign language was my first language.

I have hearing within a normal range, but I can assure you that

you're not the only one saying "Let me jacket my grab" or "I need a soup to eat spoon" or keep hearing weird stuff like "I maybe slop orb" (I'm making some popcorn). ;)

But it seems on alldeaf, there isn't very many audio processing disorder (APD) people here.
I've seen more interest in APD from ADD/ADHD communities, since one of the problems with APD is that you hear something, you made out what it means, but you can't recall verbal directions later.

since one of the problems with APD is that you hear something, you made out what it means, but you can't recall verbal directions later.

My problem is that I can't understand what people are saying. I can hear fine but I can't make out the meaning.

I'm reading the book "when the brain can't hear" it's about APD. If you think you might have it you might want to take a look.

But it seems on alldeaf, there isn't very many audio processing disorder (APD) people here.
I've seen more interest in APD from ADD/ADHD communities, since one of the problems with APD is that you hear something, you made out what it means, but you can't recall verbal directions later.

There are actaully about a dozen of us (who post fairly regularly) with APD.

As a matter of correction - with APD often we don't understand what is said AND have recall issues. It's not a memory condition (ie "I heard it, but forgot it"), it's a distortion in how the brain actaully "hears" speech at all and then processes it.

Back