Audism examples

Maybe we should write a book.....

The Audacity of Audism

Has a nice ring to it

It could work. A collection of stories from many people. And the way to find a publisher is not so hard. Look at Harris Communications to see who publishes books of a similar type. Then contact those publishers with your idea.

It could work. A collection of stories from many people. And the way to find a publisher is not so hard. Look at Harris Communications to see who publishes books of a similar type. Then contact those publishers with your idea.

We could even create a scholarship with some of the proceeds (assuming there are proceeds)

I can't do Oprah though....there was an incident last time....lol

We could even create a scholarship with some of the proceeds (assuming there are proceeds)

I can't do Oprah though....there was an incident last time....lol

Now you have piqued my interest. What did you do to ensure you'll never grace the stage of Oprah?

We could do Dr.Phil, tho ;)

As for the potential proceeds, we could use it to create a deaf mentor programs in every states so families can turn to them for help and advices. Just a idea.

Now you have piqued my interest. What did you do to ensure you'll never grace the stage of Oprah?

We could do Dr.Phil, tho ;)

As for the potential proceeds, we could use it to create a deaf mentor programs in every states so families can turn to them for help and advices. Just a idea.

Oh just a joke.......

Question:

What is a Deaf Oralist?

I keep thinking Deaf person who speaks oral only.

As for the book, I got loads of things I can tell you.

Question:

What is a Deaf Oralist?

If I'm not mistaken, oral Deaf refers to a deaf person who uses speech and speech reading (but isn't by definition against ASL and Deaf culture), and oralist is someone who subscribes to the ideas of A. G. Bell and other oralists, meaning they believe the deaf should be taught to speak and lipread (function as hearing as possible).

Wirelessly posted

CJB said:
Question:

What is a Deaf Oralist?

If I'm not mistaken, oral Deaf refers to a deaf person who uses speech and speech reading (but isn't by definition against ASL and Deaf culture), and oralist is someone who subscribes to the ideas of A. G. Bell and other oralists, meaning they believe the deaf should be taught to speak and lipread (function as hearing as possible).

Yep. CJB got it right.

Audism, is when hearing people impose oralism because they cannot think of functioning without being oral. It is beyond their comprehension.

*nods in agreement*

yes, absolutely! It was completely beyond my comprehension as well, until I met a few deafies!

I was afraid that I couldn't communicate with deaf people, before I learned sign language. I was shy and moved away whenever I noticed a deaf person, out shopping, etc.

I was also afraid that I wouldn't be able to learn sign language from a teacher who was deaf. (How would we start?!) BUT our teacher was amazing! And we learned!

He made sure we learned about deaf culture as well. We had a ton of questions! I asked why some deaf people speak and some do not. His answer was simple - Why would a deaf person need to speak? They can't hear themselves! *Smack!* Well, duh! Of course! They DON'T!

Speaking is a concession some deafies make to the hearing world. One we hearies fail to return, too - by using facial expression, eye contact, etc. I felt ashamed of myself for my own audistic prejudice. And vowed to change!

Hearies are just not exposed to enough deafies to get it! The only solution is for more hearies and deafies to get to know one another.

I promise to do my part to break audism.

:werd:

Audism almost means egocentricism, not necessarily always discrimination...it's the belief that hearing culture is superior to deaf culture or deafness. It can be done intentionally or not. The DVD "Audism Unveiled" talks about passive and active audism. Personally I think this term is being overused, and worse- misused and it's being used to degrade rather than educate others.

Example of passive audism- my parents deciding for me what to order at a restaurant to "make it easier communication-wise" (even though I'm paying for the meals)...and I was 28 years old. They had good intentions, but their actions suggest they do not believe I'm capable of handling something because I'm deaf.

Example of active audism: Teachers at a deaf school with a signing communication policy intentionally speaking without signing in presence of deaf students and deaf co-workers or even deaf bosses

Ahh okay.

I'm oral/ASL Deaf...

Me against ASL and Deaf Culture?! Over my dead body. :lol:

Back