Audism examples

What do you do when that happens?

I just tell them that they don't know how much faith I have and ask if they heard from G_d that he doesn't like deaf people. Usually gets them to shut up real quick. Just hasn't worked on my MIL.

LOL Don't forget... the stupid religious reasoning is everywhere. Fanatics and bigots who preach that their god is better than your god, yadda yadda yadda. Crusades anyone? I have no problems with people's religious practices as long as it doesn't effect my agnostic universe. It just amazes me that an adult would tel a little kid that.

I totally feel the same!

Wirelessly posted

True, but people also say the same thing about interpreters. "Why are you learning ASL? No one will hire an ASL interpreter."

Dunno, I guess I don't see anti-ASL as audist since I can relate to how people discriminate against French.

"Why are you teaching him French? It won't get him a job." That's what monolingual Albertans used to say to mom.

I see your point, in that ASL isn't deafness.

The way I see it, it's still a form of audism because for the most part, ASL is used by and among the culturally Deaf. Although it's not a total correlation, it's enough of a correlation. People who discriminate against French are discriminating against the groups of people that use French, such as, in the context of Canada, the Quebecois. Language and culture go hand in hand so when people discriminate against a language, they discriminate against the cultures associated with it too.

Several incidents come to memory (regarding this post)......One was at work. I was on lunch break with a friend, and I was the only deaf employee in the company at that time....A man from another department came up to me and said, ("mouthing") the words to me, as he somehow knew I was deaf...he said...."God didn't make you Deaf...the Devil did.".....Took a few minutes to sink that in (what he said)....then my anger arose!....Spoiled my lunch, threw it in the trash and went to my boss about it....My boss said..."OH, he's just overly religious"...."didn't mean anything bad about it"....MY boss was actually an A-Hole!....My feelings and emotions meant nothing to him when this happened.....

Years have gone by....the incident is still with me. BUT, I don't dwell on it as some people might do.....

What's amazing to me is that this happened many years ago...now it's 2010...and deafies are still suffering from what is now called "audism"??....Have we not made any progress at all?.....

Whenever someone says "you speak very well"...my exchange is "thank you"! And "you look very nice today"....It cuts the conversation DEAD! Instead of letting an ignorant hearing person "put you on the spot"....act "superior" to them!....Don't let them put you down......BUT if someone says "I feel sorry for you, being hearing impaired"....that's another story!..Ignorance is bliss sometimes! And I remember the saying...you are somebody, 'cause God don't make no junk....

Whenever someone says "you speak very well"...my exchange is "thank you"! And "you look very nice today"....It cuts the conversation DEAD! Instead of letting an ignorant hearing person "put you on the spot"....act "superior" to them!....Don't let them put you down..

:lol: That's a clever response.

I have heard how a hearing person thinks he can improve/teach ASL because he can hear. or can do deaf study better because he can hear.

This someone you know? Has he always been an idiot? :laugh2:

/facepalm
I guess you read it from deafread too. Watch aslnikki youtube.

She mentioned how a hearing person tried to learn a new sign. A deaf teacher tried to teach her, but so did a hearing teacher .. So who did she pick? a hearing teacher. And few other things as well.

The OP ask for example of audism, and this is something I remember on top of my head.

:laugh2:

Now, now. Don't make fun. He may have suffered a traumatic brain injury!:giggle:

But pa-weeze!!!????!!!! Just can't help myself!
It's funny.. I'm hearing, I grew up with our own homespeak, but I'm slowly learning ASL (will go faster when the man gets his behind down here!). Anyway, I don't pretend to get every aspect of being deaf. For me, it's a normal part of my family life but you can't fully understand a thing unless you walk that path. I don't expect people to understand all of the things I have to deal with. But, when you come across someone like that, all I can do is laugh MY ASS OFF!!! :laugh2: Improve upon ASL because he can hear... What a dork!

Wow! These people must have a direct line to Gawd. I wonder if it's red like the BatPhone? :lol:

What's amazing to me is that this happened many years ago...now it's 2010...and deafies are still suffering from what is now called "audism"??....Have we not made any progress at all?.....

Actually, IMO I think that you have moved forward. Audism isn't being hushed up or ignored anymore. It's being discussed and talked about. I think the more it's discussed it will be less done. But it will take a long time.

YouTube - aslnikki's Channel <---- here what I was talking about. Never mind what sign is what... but WHY the hearing father trust the hearing deaf ed teacher over two deaf people? Is it because he feel the hearing know better than deaf people?

Actually, IMO I think that you have moved forward. Audism isn't being hushed up or ignored anymore. It's being discussed and talked about. I think the more it's discussed it will be less done. But it will take a long time.

Yes, ur probably right, I have moved forward somewhat. Things don't bother me as much, and I'm sure things have gotten better for the deafies since the '70's......

There is no magic wand to made "audism" disappear. And we all know, first hand and personally what we have to deal with in our daily lives, regarding the hearing community thinking less of us, feeling sorry for us and the ignorant insults.

What are we gonna do?...We have to start somewhere!...March in Washington? (I just threw that out there)....I have no idea where to start, as I've fought my own fight all these years, and made some hearing people enlighted about deafness.....That old saying still rings true...."sticks and stones may break my bones...but words will never hurt me."...

But pa-weeze!!!????!!!! Just can't help myself!
It's funny.. I'm hearing, I grew up with our own homespeak, but I'm slowly learning ASL (will go faster when the man gets his behind down here!). Anyway, I don't pretend to get every aspect of being deaf. For me, it's a normal part of my family life but you can't fully understand a thing unless you walk that path. I don't expect people to understand all of the things I have to deal with. But, when you come across someone like that, all I can do is laugh MY ASS OFF!!! :laugh2: Improve upon ASL because he can hear... What a dork!

Agree with the sentiment completely!

Yes, ur probably right, I have moved forward somewhat. Things don't bother me as much, and I'm sure things have gotten better for the deafies since the '70's......

There is no magic wand to made "audism" disappear. And we all know, first hand and personally what we have to deal with in our daily lives, regarding the hearing community thinking less of us, feeling sorry for us and the ignorant insults.

What are we gonna do?...We have to start somewhere!...March in Washington? (I just threw that out there)....I have no idea where to start, as I've fought my own fight all these years, and made some hearing people enlighted about deafness.....That old saying still rings true...."sticks and stones may break my bones...but words will never hurt me."...

LOL I was going to have "We Shall Overcome" playing softly in the 'background' of my last comment.

The only way to defeat Audism is to make it very apparent to all hearies. Education is this only way.

My daughter and I were in another town and were talking, signing, to each other. We both hear and sign. In a strange town we always sign so anyone D/deaf, HOH, or other in the signing community sees us they will know we sign and can approach us if they choose.

We are in a mall passing a stand when one of the sales people reaches out and grabs my daughter's hands to stop her from signing.

She told him to leave her alone.

He said, "Well if you can talk you don't need that stuff."

My son & I are hearing. I am currently teaching him ASL. My ex-husband calls ASL "finger wiggling". We constantly sign behind his back. LOL

My daughter and I were in another town and were talking, signing, to each other. We both hear and sign. In a strange town we always sign so anyone D/deaf, HOH, or other in the signing community sees us they will know we sign and can approach us if they choose.

We are in a mall passing a stand when one of the sales people reaches out and grabs my daughter's hands to stop her from signing.

She told him to leave her alone.

He said, "Well if you can talk you don't need that stuff."

Wow. I don't know what would piss me off more... the drivel out of his mouth or the fact that he not only stopped her communication, but grabbed her to do so. That's way out of line. I honestly don't think I would be able to control myself at that point. What did you do?

Back