Audiologist Just Told Me I'm A Possible Candidate

My dad just canceled my surgery. I have no idea when I'll get implanted only that I'll not be considered ready until blood sugars are well controlled. I'm feeling very depressed now.

Did he cancel without asking you, or did you have him cancel for you? :hug:

He canceled without asking. I have told him that if surgery is cancelled, there's no point in rescheduling as he'll jsut cancel it.

What about rescheduling the surgery without telling your dad? I'm sorry, but if either of my (late) parents did that to me, I'd be :pissed:

:hug: deafskeptic :hug:

I think I'll need to choose a new CI center as he's in touch with the UNC folks. I have told him that there's no point in rescheduling if he'll just can cancel it.

My dad just canceled my surgery. I have no idea when I'll get implanted only that I'll not be considered ready until blood sugars are well controlled. I'm feeling very depressed now.

Sorry to hear that!

Hopefully, things will look up soon.

I think I'll need to choose a new CI center as he's in touch with the UNC folks. I have told him that there's no point in rescheduling if he'll just can cancel it.

I wonder why the people at UNC allowed your dad to cancel your surgery when you are an adult? (If you are a minor, my apologies. I don't know your age, but assume you are over 18.)

He canceled without asking. I have told him that if surgery is cancelled, there's no point in rescheduling as he'll jsut cancel it.

:pissed:

Come on! Don't let him do this to you! Call the CI center and tell them that he cancelled without asking you, see if you can still have the surgery date or reschedule it, and then tell them that you are the only one who can make those decisions, the only one who can cancel it. :pissed:

I've just emailed the UNC people and I've told them that I didn't ask my dad to cancel the surgery. I did ask him if surgery should be canceled.

I've told Dr. P that I didn't ask my father to cancel the surgery. I've said that if surgery has to be postponed, I'll accept that even though I'll be unhappy about it.

No, I'm not a minor. I have not heard from the UNC people about the surgery so I hope they'll listen to me and not my dad even if he's a retired doctor.

Last edited:
I've just emailed the UNC people and I've told them that I didn't ask my dad to cancel the surgery. I did ask him if surgery should be canceled.

I've told Dr. P that I didn't ask my father to cancel the surgery. I've said that if surgery has to be postponed, I'll accept that even though I'll be unhappy about it.

Okay, I hope you are able to still have the same surgery date! Your dad had no business calling and canceling the surgery without your permission!

:hug: hang in there!!!

No, I'm not a minor. I have not heard from the UNC people about the surgery so I hope they'll listen to me and not my dad.

Good! I'm glad you have the ball rolling again. After all, this is *your* surgery -- not your dad's.

Since you're an adult, I'm sure the people at UNC will listen to you and reschedule your surgery. Who knows? Perhaps you'll be able to keep the same surgery date. <fingers crossed>

Good! I'm glad you have the ball rolling again. After all, this is *your* surgery -- not your dad's.

Since you're an adult, I'm sure the people at UNC will listen to you and reschedule your surgery. Who knows? Perhaps you'll be able to keep the same surgery date. <fingers crossed>

My fingers and toes are crossed too!:fingersx:

Lucia,

How about adding your eyes to that? :rofl: I once had a CI user send me a private e-mail in which she said, "I have my fingers, toes, arms and eyes crossed for you!" I just about died laughing!

:rofl:

HAHAHA! I don't think my eyes would thank me for that!

I'm a bit shocked that your dad using his influence would cancel your surgery like that when you are not a minor. I hope I am not offending in any way but it sounds like he has way too much influence over you and your life. I think that can be a problem with us deaf folk is that we can let people have too much control over us. I think it's understandable if he has concerns over your blood sugar levels but at the very minimum it was a decision that is only yours to make.

I hope that you can either get the same date or a later date for surgery. It really sounds to me as if this is something you very much want for yourself. The fact that you said you were very depressed rather than very relieved after the cancelation indicates this.

Maybe ask your dad for help in keeping the blood sugar down? Do you live with your parents?

Wow. I'm amazed that your dad was able to cancel the surgery by himself given you don't live with your parents. Anyway I won't say anymore as I don't want to be tactless or offensive. He obviously does care about you very much and that is a very good thing in any family relationship! I just want to support you in whatever you want to do.

DeafSkeptic,

Sorry about your Dad interfering in your surgery. I hope things can be worked out. Don't Give up!

Back