Attn: Addressing some issues that has been going on.

Firstly, you are comparing a conversation to something in print that has a trail that can be easily recalled. Secondly, you are comparing a piece of information that is quite easily replicated to one that is not. Thirdly, you are comparing a social interaction to one that is not social in nature. Fourthly, you are comparing an individual who has requested that a single word be repeated to someone who demands that detailed information be provided again and again, despite the fact that it can easily be located with minimal effort on the part of the individual making the demand. Fifthly, you are comparing a polite request to an often insulting and agressive demand.

1. This forum has so many posts on it that you cannot possibly expect any one person to have read them all.

2. I was not comparing anything to information that would be difficult to replicate.

3. I was comparing a social interaction to another social interaction. (Note: both instances of social interaction are defined in exactly the same way.)

4. The complexity of the information requested is unknown. It could easily be as simple as a name. If it is too complex, just say so.

5. I'm not considering rude requests.

1. This forum has so many posts on it that you cannot possibly expect any one person to have read them all.

2. I was not comparing anything to information that would be difficult to replicate.

3. I was comparing a social interaction to another social interaction. (Note: both instances of social interaction are defined in exactly the same way.)

4. The complexity of the information requested is unknown. It could easily be as simple as a name. If it is too complex, just say so.

5. I'm not considering rude requests.

It isn't necessary to read all the posts. The forum also has a user friendly search feature.

No, a social interaction whereby one is simply intoducing oneself is very different from an in depth conversation requiring technical information. If one is asking for a citation, then the complexity of the information is a given. In most instances, especially those that are being referenced on this forum, providing a name only results in further demands for detailed information.
The fact that you haven't considered rude requests is what makes your comparison fallicious. None of us here have a problem responding to polite requests.

So, you admit that you give exactly those responses when asked to back up your statement. If you provided it once, no matter how long ago, or to whom, that is enough?

Is it a matter of getting a straight answer, or getting the answer you want? People often restate in an attempt to manipulate the answer they want because they don't like the answer they got. It is a mistake to assume that you got a specific answer because someone did not understand the way you stated the question. Sometimes, that is the appropriate answer, and the one you will get no matter how many ways you phrase the question. In that case, it is best to accept the answer, even though it may not be the one you wanted. There is an old saying: "If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question."

Did you answer the bold part of the question? Nowhere does it say "if it's requested in a rude tone" or "if the citation is excessively complex" or any of that. Did you answer that part of the question without those "hidden" conditions?

Did you answer the bold part of the question? Nowhere does it say "if it's requested in a rude tone" or "if the citation is excessively complex" or any of that. Did you answer that part of the question without those "hidden" conditions?

Yes I answered the bolded part of the question. Perhaps you should stick around a while and see how some of these situations play out. There is actually quite a lengthy history behind this issue. It is not a new occurrance.

Is it a matter of getting a straight answer, or getting the answer you want? People often restate in an attempt to manipulate the answer they want because they don't like the answer they got. It is a mistake to assume that you got a specific answer because someone did not understand the way you stated the question. Sometimes, that is the appropriate answer, and the one you will get no matter how many ways you phrase the question. In that case, it is best to accept the answer, even though it may not be the one you wanted. There is an old saying: "If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question."

A certain advocate or should I say pusher of cued speech is a good example of what jillio is talking about. I can think of other posters as well but I don't want to start flame wars.

Yes I answered the bolded part of the question. Perhaps you should stick around a while and see how some of these situations play out. There is actually quite a lengthy history behind this issue. It is not a new occurrance.

I hadn't read your most recent post yet when I wrote this, so this is obsolete.

The fact that you weren't considering polite requests was unstated, and therefore I missed it. I have no further concerns with impolite demands.

A certain advocate or should I say pusher of cued speech is a good example of what jillio is talking about. I can think of other posters as well but I don't want to start flame wars.

Don't worry about it. It was a misunderstanding. I don't need any fingers pointed.

It isn't necessary to read all the posts. The forum also has a user friendly search feature.

No, a social interaction whereby one is simply intoducing oneself is very different from an in depth conversation requiring technical information. If one is asking for a citation, then the complexity of the information is a given. In most instances, especially those that are being referenced on this forum, providing a name only results in further demands for detailed information.
The fact that you haven't considered rude requests is what makes your comparison fallicious. None of us here have a problem responding to polite requests.

To me, rude demands don't deserve my consideration. That's why I didn't automatically assume you were considering rude demands. With this new information, my little sample conversation was completely irrelevant. Just disregard it or take it as humour.

To me, rude demands don't deserve my consideration. That's why I didn't automatically assume you were considering rude demands. With this new information, my little sample conversation was completely irrelevant. Just disregard it or take it as humour.

Good. We are on the same page. ;)

I think this needs a :bump:... play nice boys and girls. Noticing it's been a lil heated recently again... If you want an argument, back it up with facts, or state it's your opinion and respect others' opinions. No need for name calling and cat/dog fights!

Ya know, until there are actual CONSEQUENCES for this sort of behavior, you can preach and preach on the subject till you are blue in the face and nothing will change. The culprits of such behavior are the same individuals who recognize this behavior in others, but never in themselves. The mods need to step up to the plate and start warning and banning the offending parties and stop overlooking the foul actions of those that make the rest of us uncomfortable with any form of debate on this forum.

It's really a lost cause, Eve. For some, it's just easier to attack individuals rather than the arguments. Yet claim they're for discussions when their actions tell otherwise.

If you ask me, I think the moderators should be the peacemaker instead of banning and forbidding topics. If there is a heated topic, A moderator should help people settle down. If two people are misunderstanding each other, a moderator should step in and settle the issue by help each other understand or lock the thread and punish those who keep breaking the rules of the board. Or lock the thread if neccessary (the topic will eventually come up again)

In fact, A moderator should look at both side, explain their fault (while being neutral with the issue) and lock the thread (the original post of this thread is what I mean by explaining and settling, because he is setting his foot down about the issue) .

If there is chaos on the board, I blame it on the management of this board, not the people who are on this board who are expressing their opinions.

If you ask me, I think the moderators should be the peacemaker instead of banning and forbidding topics. If there is a heated topic, A moderator should help people settle down. If two people are misunderstanding each other, a moderator should step in and settle the issue by help each other understand or lock the thread and punish those who keep breaking the rules of the board. Or lock the thread if neccessary (the topic will eventually come up again)

In fact, A moderator should look at both side, explain their fault (while being neutral with the issue) and lock the thread (the original post of this thread is what I mean by explaining and settling, because he is setting his foot down about the issue) .

If there is chaos on the board, I blame it on the management of this board, not the people who are on this board who are expressing their opinions.

Some people actually do troll deliberately to start flame wars, and even if a mod does do peacekeeping, it doesn't always solve the problem because that person has a specific agenda, and it's pretty obvious if they are trolling if they painted a specific target by name on another forum or on their own blogs, which coincidently several members have, which is a big no-no on the Internet.

It's not really a matter of conservatives versus liberals; it's just people on the Internet are being pricks which is the reason why I step down from moderatorship on several forums because it's childish, petty and stupid for people to troll others and hide behind the guise of "but others bashed me first!"

Really, I stopped sweating about it a long time ago. I just dont let it get to me like before. It will continue to happen but it is nice to have reminders though.

souggy, even if you think a person is "trolling" that doesn't give anyone license to resort to name-calling and personal attacks.

here's what I think the board should do. Make hot topics ten pages long then have it automatically lock (so no one get to the point to name calling)

And let people have a forum of their own and anyone who post on that forum can ask questions but they can't attack. Like christian forum, Jewish, etc. And we wouldn't have the need to express our faith to other deaf people on other areas.

Back