Attended first ASL Class. Here are my strategies

flameburns623

Reaction score
Wife, a friend of hers, and I all attended ASL. The text is A Basic Course In ASL, which happens to have a study guide available. I ordered that for the extra exercises and material which can augment the textbook.

I had already bought a two-box set of flash cards and I am using these to practice the vocabularIy assigned each week.

In addition I picked up a popular phrase book with DVD and am watching/practicing sections pertinent to the lessons in class. I also use the ASLU/lifeprint.com site to practice fingerspelling .

The organization which conducts these ASL classes has several social functions designed to bring Deaf people into contact with Hearing/HoH students. These include a monthly coffee social and a Springfest.

Although I am a 'Traditionalist' Roman Catholic I have identified a couple of 'Novus Ordo' Masses which are signed, one of which has a regular after-Mass Deaf social gathering. I will be attending some of these Masses in addition to the "True Mass".

Every other Sunday or so, my wife (not Catholic and not especially 'churchy') says she may attend a signed Protestant service at a local, seeker-sensitive church. This, along with the Deaf Springfest next week, and other Deaf social activities thru our ASL learning center, will give her other opportunities to interact with Deaf people and practice her skills. Also, she and her friend will be practicing together.

All in all, with several opportunities to meet/interact with Deaf persons and several learning strategies for learning and practicing vocabulary, I hope to acquire at least some ability to sign by the time I finish the two six-week courses.

Along with this I have identified a couple of Deaf social organizations which are having events. One is having a Cinco De Mayo event this weekend, another is having a meeting later in June.

All in all, with several opportunities to meet/interact with Deaf persons and several learning tracts for learning and practicing vocabulary, I hope to acquire at least some ability to sign by the time I finish the two six-week courses.

Does anyone have other.suggestions for us?

Wish us all luck!

Last edited:
Interesting tip from my lifelong-Deaf ASL teacher:

Sign in front of a mirror, but resist the temptation to "mouth" the English words while signing. If necessary, cover the mouth with something for awhile. Don't cover the face completely, just the mouth, sufficiently to not be able to see oneself attempting to articulate the words. Be EXPRESSIVE, but don't whisper or speak the English words while making the signs.

Idea is to break the habit of thinking in English "with gestures added" and make a mental shift to thinking in terms of a visual language.

I'll try that for awhile.

That was good advice. Just like you wouldn't speak French and English simultaneously.

Back