AT&T’s FaceTime Blocking Hurts the Deaf

You never know...

Do you realize what mean TAP? Spell it out, if you check out, it is short for "TEXT ACCESSIBILITY PLAN", this plan means text messaging, AIM, e mail, etc no video, no picture no voice, just plain text. If it were VAP then we can challenge it, but we can not challenge no way not even in court room because Face time is NOT a text format, it is Video format. Its sad that Deafies like you got real misunderstand what TAP is all about.

Study whats difference between Text and video, please don't make yourself fool.

Oddball, you have pick a option, it is all about quality of bandwidth.

1) Allow Facetime, just count as data limit, and the network is extremely congested like you only get 200 kbps with LTE and usage of Facetime becomes serious issue, especially video quality.

or

2) Limit the Facetime to certain plans and maintain the high quality of bandwidth. You only get 30 mbps with LTE and the video quality is excellent.

Pick one - 1 or 2.

Oddball, you have pick a option, it is all about quality of bandwidth.

1) Allow Facetime, just count as data limit, and the network is extremely congested like you only get 200 kbps with LTE and usage of Facetime becomes serious issue, especially video quality.

or

2) Limit the Facetime to certain plans and maintain the high quality of bandwidth. You only get 30 mbps with LTE and the video quality is excellent.

Pick one - 1 or 2.

Wow! I m meaning to pick one of two for FaceTime feature on TAP plan??? how to order it?

Wow! I m meaning to pick one of two for FaceTime feature on TAP plan??? how to order it?

No, I just ask you to make a choice about quality of bandwidth.

Facetime is POINTLESS if LTE is congested like less than 200 kbps.

We'll see about Sprint iPhone 5...

I found out at Sprint Relay facebook. Yes! Yayaya http://www.facebook.com/sprintrelay

attachment.php

iPhone 5, available for pre-order September 14th from Sprint. Learn more: http://bit.ly/PcBvKf
. For pre-ordering questions for the Sprint Relay Store, please contact VCS@sprint.com.

Attachments

• facetime.JPG
    facetime.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 82
Free Press, which is a network neutrality advocate, isn’t buying it. In release notifying AT&T of its intent to file (an FCC requirement) Free Press Policy Director Matt Wood offers the following quote:

“AT&T’s decision to block FaceTime unless a customer pays for voice and text minutes she doesn’t need is a clear violation of the FCC’s Open Internet rules. It’s particularly outrageous that AT&T is requiring this for iPad users, given that this device isn’t even capable of making voice calls. AT&T’s actions are incredibly harmful to all of its customers, including the deaf, immigrant families and others with relatives overseas, who depend on mobile video apps to communicate with friends and family.”

AT&T will be slapped with net neutrality complaint over FaceTime blocking — Tech News and Analysis

Public Interest Groups to File Net Neutrality Complaint Against AT&T for Blocking FaceTime on iPhones and iPads | Free Press

I have say - screw at&t

I don't have to deal because I will switch to Verizon.

I have say - screw at&t

I don't have to deal because I will switch to Verizon.

Yeah! If they are nothing yet, I will get FT over cellular app in iOS 6 from Cydia (jailbreak).

Yeah! If they are nothing yet, I will get FT over cellular app in iOS 6 from Cydia (jailbreak).

I will not expect about jailbreak because it will take months for jailbreak to be available, or probably never if iOS 6 patched all types of exploit perfectly.

It will be some time until Sprint iPhone LTE. I think so due to Foxconn manufacturer will need to change the radio board to different model for Sprint.

I'm sure they will release iPhone 5 opening with AT&T (LTE band 4, 17) and Verizon (LTE band 13).
Sprint's LTE band 2 is new and few months old. I think iPhone LTE will not be on Sprint market until end of 2012 or early 2013 is my guess.

Also will have to watch coverage improve by Sprint, they need to add more LTE signal or FaceTime can be unuseable if you have weak Sprint (CDMA 2G/3G) signal.

Sprint's LTE band is actually 25.

I think they need to set rules for FaceTime use over 3G. They need to separate FaceTime between hearing and deaf/hh. Right now, they are taking the easy way out by putting no facetime for everyone.

If they just let the deaf subscribers use facetime, it should not be a huge bandwidth problem since it's probably small group - I bet there are less than 500,000 TAP subscribers.

But the real problem is I think they will have to find a way to make the iPhone recognize if it is hearing or deaf owner. This sounds easy for non-techy but on tech side it seems complicated, it might require different firmware update for deaf users, no idea how it will be done and what problems come out. Ex: what if deaf sell their unlocked Facetime iPhone to a hearing person?

as long as over 150-200kb upload you are fine. I have got up to ~700kB download on AT&T in Los Angeles easily.

not possible. Some deaf people use voice carry over relay. Lots of Deaf people are hoh. There'd be an outcry If a company decided all Deaf and hoh were the same.

I'm planning to get a iPhone .... My first. Even with deaf plan it's $95 a month because of the access fee for one device. Sigh.

not possible. Some deaf people use voice carry over relay. Lots of Deaf people are hoh. There'd be an outcry If a company decided all Deaf and hoh were the same.

I'm planning to get a iPhone .... My first. Even with deaf plan it's $95 a month because of the access fee for one device. Sigh.

What brand of your carrier? My Sprint Relay Store's iPhone 5 is just $54.99 a month plus state tax.

wow why long time sprints shipped?

"Thank you for pre-ordering the 16GB iPhone 5. You are one step closer to getting your phone. Keep an eye out for a shipping email with your tracking information. Pre-orders placed through 2 pm CT on 9/14 will arrive on or around 9/21. Pre-orders placed after 2 pm CT on 9/14 through 10:00 am CT on 9/19 will ship in 2 weeks from order date. Orders placed after 10:00 am CT on 9/19 will ship in 3 weeks from order date. If we reached out to you for needed information to process your order, delays in response could affect shipping timelines. For questions, visit sprint.com/preorder."

First Pre-order on Sept 14 has been sold out or cut off by deadline 10 am. They received it already by Sept 21.

After Sept 14, Who pre-ordered it. they will receive iPhone 5 within 2-3 weeks.

Back