ASSR before?

lovezebras

Reaction score
Anyone have an ASSR done before? It's apparently like an ABR? I dunno...my audi wants this done to compare to my regular audiogram and compare cuz they are surprised I don't have abset OAE's or something ...also my hearing aids are not pairing for some reason so they are getting sent out to get fixed...for now I'm wearing a naida 3 UP cuz they had no SP and the UP sounds WAY better than the naida 5 SP that I have..which my audi found odd cuz she thought I would find it too loud..but I find it more clearer than the naidas I usually wear...I have a weird body..a lot of stuff that is broken doesn't appear to be broken when it's tested..I just found out that my ankle WAS fractured when they told me twice after being x-ray'd that it was NOT fractured when indeed..it was...my body does not like medical devices apparently lol fml

I think I may have that one done while I was up in Farmington to get a new 2nd audiogram and compare it to the other ones done in 09-10

same way with my Oticon Gaia before I switched to the Oticon Safari

OAE's are weird. My mom had an audiogram recently and had absent OAE's with perfectly normal hearing thresholds on her audiogram. I know someone else with normal hearing who's OAE's show up at 120dB. They have like a 50% false positive rate too. I am not entirely sure why they still test them?

Also, is the loaner the new Naida? The one from the Spice line? cause that may explain the clarity...

OAE's are weird. My mom had an audiogram recently and had absent OAE's with perfectly normal hearing thresholds on her audiogram. I know someone else with normal hearing who's OAE's show up at 120dB. They have like a 50% false positive rate too. I am not entirely sure why they still test them?

I wonder why they are being so inquisitive about it then if this sort of thing happens all the time...

and the loaner naida is the Naida III UP not the one from the new spice line tho

What are OAE's used for?? What's the purpose?

I wonder why they are being so inquisitive about it then if this sort of thing happens all the time...

Hey, yes they do mess up. It's interesting they only test some people too. I remember they never tested me. I only had a pure tone test and they checked my ear. Also maybe it's because you might have cochlear damange. My audiologist said she wouldnt test the OAE's because my loss is profound. She said OAEs don't show up on a profound loss so she didnt test them.

>>The newer ASSR test can predict hearing all the way to 120 db., which is so profoundly deaf that hearing aids are virtually useless. That is what someone on a website said. This test can show if hearing aids don't work and cochlear implant would be better. It's very accurate and they use it for babies and people who can't take other tests.

Wirelessly posted

Lissa said:
What are OAE's used for?? What's the purpose?

OAEs are, and I'm serious about this, very soft sounds that inner ear hair cells make. Equipment can pick up the sounds in response to a stimulus. The presence of OAE in the presence of hearing loss indicates that the part of the hearing pathway that is damaged is NOT the hair cells.
ABR or ASSR test the auditory nerve and auditory cortex. So in conditions like auditory neuropathy, much of the problem is not with the hair cells but with the auditory nerve.

Back