Assistant Principal calls my ASL teacher disabled and handicapped..

If you were working as the interpreter you absolutely must interpret everything that was said during the meeting.

Yes u must if u were working as the interpreter...otherwise u would be violiating the code of ethics.

Oh, okay, then I wouldn't have a choice, but after that, I would have gave the AP an evil glare, innocent me..:ugh3:

Also inappropriate for a professional interpreter. You have to have your poker face on at all times. You are interjecting your opinion with an evil glare just as if you say something "out of role," or if you choose not to interpret something. None of these are okay. And no, this isn't easy, but it's part of being an interpreter; you cannot appear to judge any participant or take sides, no matter what you think privately.

Also by antagonizing the AP, you may be cementing in this person's mind that interpreters -- and by association, deaf people -- are unpleasant to work with.

Because it isn't really true, technically deaf/hoh may be "disabled" but it doesn't stop them from doing all the things that hearing people can do, so they aren't really disabled at all.

Most "really disabled" people can do all the things that non-disabled people can do.

Hm yeah this is something. Well I have to go with Reba in that the context and tone is important. At first I thought it was said off to the side with some one else and you over heard it. After you explained how the events transpired I see the AP standing in front of the class giving a little speech and saying this. Obviously she knows nothing of Deaf culture or deaf people in general. Once you know Deaf people your whole mind set changes. And yes you have to interpret everything with out your own thoughts. When my friends ask me to interpret sometimes a hearing person will ask something about them that I know the answer to. I still sign the question and voice the response as if it was brand new information. When I am interpreting for my friends I see myself as nonexistent, not really there. My opinions or knowledge do not come into play, at that point I am not part of the conversation I just give and receive information and that is it. You know how in Europe they have different outlets for electrical appliances than in the US and to use your hair dryer you need an adapter? The adapter does not dry hair and it does not give electricity, it is the thing that goes between the two so that they work in harmony. That is how I see interpreting. If I was in your shoes when I was in high school I would have not said anything to the AP. The person that I am now you better believe I would say something. But we change as we grow into adults and I am not as shy as I once was. However that is definitely a conversation had at a different moment to give proper respect to the AP. If you cause a scene the person is not receptive to what you are trying to tell them. This person is ignorant and you would think, having an ASL class, that the AP would have learned something of Deaf since she has this type of class at her school. Just makes you think.

xNinjaXAshx said:
There was an interpreter there too, so she knew what she was saying. I was so surprised the AP said that. The LAST thing you want to do is call a deaf person disabled or handicapped. It kind of pissed me off when I heard her say that, because it's not a disability or a handicap. That AP looks so mean anyway >.<.

I think the problem has been instigated by the Deaf Culture, because so many deafies draw SSD(DISABILITY)I that it causes the hearing population to assume that deafness IS a disability/handicapping condition.

Obviously this woman is working and therefore probably not drawing SSDI, so the label should not apply to her, but I can still see why it is the responsibility of the deaf population to change such stereotypes by not instigating them. We educate others more with what they see in our own behaviors and actions than by what we tell them.

Reba said:
I would like to know the full story.
Wise woman isn’t jumping to conclusions. There are always three sides to every story.

Reba said:
If you were working as the interpreter you absolutely must interpret everything that was said during the meeting.
Right! It is required by the code of ethics.

Interpretrator said:
Also inappropriate for a professional interpreter. You have to have your poker face on at all times. You are interjecting your opinion with an evil glare just as if you say something "out of role," or if you choose not to interpret something. None of these are okay. And no, this isn't easy, but it's part of being an interpreter; you cannot appear to judge any participant or take sides, no matter what you think privately.

Also by antagonizing the AP, you may be cementing in this person's mind that interpreters -- and by association, deaf people -- are unpleasant to work with.
I couldn’t agree more.

Southern said:
You know how in Europe they have different outlets for electrical appliances than in the US and to use your hair dryer you need an adapter? The adapter does not dry hair and it does not give electricity, it is the thing that goes between the two so that they work in harmony. That is how I see interpreting.
Wonderful analogy!

The person that I am now you better believe I would say something.

Really? Are you sure that's what she wants, some random hearing person to jump in and defend her? Is that what she needs? Do you know for a fact that even talking to the AP in private won't have some kind of negative repercussion for the teacher?

If you absolutely can't stand not to get involved, I think the first and possibly only person to talk to is the ASL teacher. But honestly, as long as the teacher was aware of what was said (i.e. it wasn't being said behind her back), I don't think it's anyone's business but hers whether she wants to correct the AP or let it go.

(This is all hypothetical of course; I realize Southern was not the OP.) :)

Well what I was referring more to is the fact that when I was in school I would generally not speak up. I have, as a person, grown and have no problem speaking up. Here is an analogy that is a little extreme but it shows how I feel. Say I am teaching a class and the AP comes in and knowing that I am gay said, Now this man is a queer but….. My straight friends would immediately have issue with that and say something about it; they are very protective of me. Of course they are my friends and I wouldn’t want a stranger doing that. It may be unwanted advocacy as discussed in a thread you started. Mrs Ninga seems to really like her teacher and doesn’t want that teacher to be hurt. A stranger stepping in yeah that would be weird and I wouldn’t say that is the thing to do. But I don’t think there is anything wrong with standing up for some one you respect. That said she is in high school so it is probably inappropriate for her to say anything about it. In that case the teacher should handle it.
Interperator and Reba in a professional interpreting job after it has ended are you free to talk with either party about what you disliked. If some one said something like this can you go to them and say, that is not really something you want to say and teach them a little of Deaf culture? Or do you just have to pick up your things and opinions and leave?

My straight friends would immediately have issue with that and say something about it; they are very protective of me.

Honestly I'd kick my friends' asses for doing that. But this is a moot point because my friends know I'm more than capable of standing up for myself, and if I don't, there's a reason for it. I practically had to physically restrain my wonderful future husband from going to my dentist's office after she tortured me (drilled on my root canal tooth without anaesthesia) because I didn't want him physically menacing someone who was still doing work on my mouth!

Interperator and Reba in a professional interpreting job after it has ended are you free to talk with either party about what you disliked. If some one said something like this can you go to them and say, that is not really something you want to say and teach them a little of Deaf culture? Or do you just have to pick up your things and opinions and leave?

It depends on the situation. My rule of thumb is that I never bring up anything that happened during a job unless the party (deaf or hearing) brings it up first. 90% of the time you pick up your things and opinions and leave (and then vent to the one person you pick who gets to be your sounding board, who is not involved with the deaf community and will never know the people you're talking about). Never in a million years would I say something like "Man that hearing person is a moron" to a client afterwards...and if they say it, I will probably not agree whole-heartedly since I don't think it's professional. I don't have a problem agreeing that the encounter wasn't a positive one, though.

If something went really awry during the job, it is sometimes worth it to explain to one or both parties what happened so that they don't leave with a bad taste in their mouth that was caused by the interpreting. (If they simply don't like each other, that's not your problem.) If something goes wrong, ask yourself whether it would have happened if this was not an interpreted encounter. Also, is this a one-time situation that will not occur again, or an ongoing situation where all three parties need to be able to work together?

Interpreters, whether we like it or not, are sort of the accessible agent of the deaf community to hearing people, and as such we have a responsibility to make as good an impression as possible while still supporting both parties neutrally. Sound impossible? It often is.

The AP definately needs to be confronted about her insensitivity, whether it was intentional or not. If she used the words "handicapped" and "disabled" because she truly didn't know how offensive her language was, then she needs to be shown her errors. That will prevent an incident like this happening again.

If, however, she is simply one of those insensitive clods who have no desire to understand or correct their offensive behavior, (and there are those people out there, as shel said), then the teacher needs to go to the school board with an official complaint. If this person is that insensitive to the teacher, she has no business in an administrative position where she is responsible for the welfare of any child with any form of disabilty.

You say to talk to the AP? Well if I did that she could get me in trouble if I use just one wrong little tone. That AP is a bitch anyway (sorry for the language) so if she's cold, she wouldn't care anyway..

I cannot recommend too strongly that you talk to the teacher first before going to the AP.

I know not a lot of hearing people know about Deaf Culture, it's kind of sad, because I think they should know more, because it'd be nice if all of us could get along and understand each other enough not to get too annoyed. Even myself, I have to admit, some hearing people are very arrogant and ignorant and won't try to understand something that's different, very close minded. The AP just hasn't taken the time to learn that.

If it bothers you to that degree talk to your teacher about it. Tell her your feelings on the subject after class. She may have already discussed this with the AP which will assuage your ill feelings. As it is now you are building animosity towards the AP which is not good. She cannot be effective in her job when respect for her is continually eroded, and as a person you shouldn’t allow ill will to fester. It causes problems in other areas. In the end though it will be something that you will need to let go of. Whether it is full resolution, or by just recognizing the person involved and considering the source, not worth your time.

I agree with Interpretrator and Southern--talk to your teacher, not the AP.

Yeah, I will do that if it starts bugging me too much. Whenever she has time, we're currently working on a video project, signing a song in front of a camera. So yeah, she's been helping us.

Hm yeah this is something. Well I have to go with Reba in that the context and tone is important. At first I thought it was said off to the side with some one else and you over heard it. After you explained how the events transpired I see the AP standing in front of the class giving a little speech and saying this. Obviously she knows nothing of Deaf culture or deaf people in general. Once you know Deaf people your whole mind set changes. And yes you have to interpret everything with out your own thoughts. When my friends ask me to interpret sometimes a hearing person will ask something about them that I know the answer to. I still sign the question and voice the response as if it was brand new information. When I am interpreting for my friends I see myself as nonexistent, not really there. My opinions or knowledge do not come into play, at that point I am not part of the conversation I just give and receive information and that is it. You know how in Europe they have different outlets for electrical appliances than in the US and to use your hair dryer you need an adapter? The adapter does not dry hair and it does not give electricity, it is the thing that goes between the two so that they work in harmony. That is how I see interpreting. If I was in your shoes when I was in high school I would have not said anything to the AP. The person that I am now you better believe I would say something. But we change as we grow into adults and I am not as shy as I once was. However that is definitely a conversation had at a different moment to give proper respect to the AP. If you cause a scene the person is not receptive to what you are trying to tell them. This person is ignorant and you would think, having an ASL class, that the AP would have learned something of Deaf since she has this type of class at her school. Just makes you think.

So basically you have to sign everything they say and have to keep your opinion to yourself because that's the rules of interpreting?

Back