ASL student attending Deaf events.

britmarie11

Reaction score
I am taking ASL 1 in college and I have to go to Deaf events and need to meet Deaf people if I want to get good at signing but I'm nervous about going to my first event. I don't know alot and I don't know how I would communicate and meet people there. I mostly know introductions, months and days of the week and colors. So how would I approach people there and try to build relationships with Deaf people? And would they be annoyed that I'm trying to talk to them even though I can't carry on a long conversation?

Watch how it's done. I still do that, and after a while you'll be amazed that you'll start to follow the general scope of the conversation. Use your fingerspelling.

And be ok with looking a little foolish. We all start there!

I myself am learning ASL and I can't hear a thing. I do speak. I went to a Deaf Coffee this past Friday night, and for me, it was very hard, but I did pick up some things.

I go to a Deaf church, and I am usually very lost. I pick up a few things here and there, but the signing is so fast that I am lost.

I know I am not much help, but I also know that the more events you can get to, the more it will help.

when you go to the deaf coffees how do you go up and introduce yourself? I went to one last night but I didn't know what to say so I just sat in the back of the coffee shop for a while and then I left. I felt like if I had gone over I would have been interrupting their conversation. There were no other students there and all the people seemed to know each other. I felt like I would have just been in the way.

Maybe show pictures. For example, you can show pictures of a car on your phone. Then you can fingerspell "turbo" and point to this car. Let them know the car has turbo engine. You'll be surprised at how many deaf people like to talk about turbos.

Or show pictures of a dog on phone----fingerspell the dog's name.

No one will eat you there.

Personally, I just walk in with a nice smile on my face. (that always breaks the ice). I wave hello, then sign "I am learning ASL". Then they start signing slow. Most times, they are very receptive. At the Deaf coffee I went to 2 weeks ago, there was really only 2-3 people out of 40-50 that refused to sign with me. I am going again tomorrow night, but it's in a different place due to space needs.

Talking to a deaf person

I am taking ASL 1 in college and I have to go to Deaf events and need to meet Deaf people if I want to get good at signing but I'm nervous about going to my first event. I don't know alot and I don't know how I would communicate and meet people there. I mostly know introductions, months and days of the week and colors. So how would I approach people there and try to build relationships with Deaf people? And would they be annoyed that I'm trying to talk to them even though I can't carry on a long conversation?

I am deaf and can't hear anything. I am also learning ASL, slowly, very slowly. I like to be friendly and meet new people. Do they hand out name tags at your Coffee Socials. If so you could write on it that you are new to ASL. I have learned the basics of "hello my name is-------what is your name". I would be thrilled if someone approached me this way. Good luck.

Find a late Deafened person. We're generally glad to help.

Brirtmarie I wasn't there last night, but they are all very friendly. There usually are students there so don't worry. Just say hi, and ho from there. My kids are 9, and 11 and don't sign much yet or all that well. EVERYBODY was so patient with them and the students. You will be fine.

I am also an ASL student (in ASL 3)...if you find some good tips please let me know. I have attended a few Deaf events, and I know exactly how you feel.
I dont want to ruin my chances of being accepted into the Deaf Community.

:wave:hellos245,
my ideas on this happen to be the same as posted for you in response to "Deaf Community" under General Chat.

and...

be patient. At various Deaf events I've been to, most people I've met are open with me as long I am sincere and open-minded. Don't expect everyone will want you there or want to practice with you. Deaf-only space/time is important.
But odds are you'll find enough - or maybe just one person - that will, especially if you keep trying.

:wave:hellos245,
my ideas on this happen to be the same as posted for you in response to "Deaf Community" under General Chat.

and...

be patient. At various Deaf events I've been to, most people I've met are open with me as long I am sincere and open-minded. Don't expect everyone will want you there or want to practice with you. Deaf-only space/time is important.
But odds are you'll find enough - or maybe just one person - that will, especially if you keep trying.

Thank You, I will keep trying. :ty: I just want to make sure my 1st impression is good.

Don't worry so much about your first impression. Most people screw that up anyway. It takes time and most deaf will be more impressed if they see you again and again and always engaging in conversation.

Back