ASL student #7753 reporting in

joycem137

Reaction score
Hello!

It appears to be the custom of this website to post introductions, so I thought I would do so.

Although I'm a software engineer by trade, I have an interest in a great number of things. One of them is language. I studied Spanish when I was in high school, but never found anyone to use it with. Recently, my life has simplified enough that I have time to truly study a language again, and decided on ASL.

Why ASL? Well, it's apparently the third most used language in the US behind Spanish, and a number of my friends use small bits and pieces of it. So, unlike Spanish, I may actually be able to practice it with friends. Plus, I think it is just totally awesome to be able to communicate over a visual channel instead of an audio channel. It seems fascinating to learn about, and I'm enjoying my studies a great deal.

I've been discovering that I am also very much enjoying learning about Deaf culture. I am a part of a rather marginalized group of people in the LGBT spectrum, and as a result, I find very interesting the culture and experiences of Deaf people as it relates to being a marginalized and oppressed group.

There's a lot I find that I can relate to from my own experience as a member of a minority group, and I'm also learning a lot about being part of the majority interacting with and learning about a marginalized group. My experience of being a hearing person learning about Deaf culture is giving me some things to think about regarding non-queer people relating to me and my culture.

Anyways, that's my introduction. I'll be probably mostly lurking on this board, trying to learn more about stuff. Great to meet you all!

-Joyce

welcome to ad! hope you learn a lot and enjoy!

Welcome to AD! There is a little bit of everything here, I am sure you will learn some interesting things! :) :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Yep, you will get the education on learning about our deafness, our deaf perspectives, Deaf Culture and why we neeeeed the most ASL to communicate when we could not hear or listen the sounds to make the words. Lipreading is not accurate at all so we like to sign to communicate with Deaf people and ASL is a whole lot better than trying to lipread. So I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Yep, you will get the education on learning about our deafness, our deaf perspectives, Deaf Culture and why we neeeeed the most ASL to communicate when we could not hear or listen the sounds to make the words. Lipreading is not accurate at all so we like to sign to communicate with Deaf people and ASL is a whole lot better than trying to lipread. So I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Thank you for the welcome!

It actually kind of surprises me that some hearies think that lip reading is accurate and easy for Deaf folks. But then, I have trouble understanding speech a lot, even when I see lips, so maybe my perspective is a bit different than most hearies.

I've been learning a great deal about ASL, though. I always figured it was vital for Deaf communication, but I never realized how intricate and nuanced it was. It's been a delight to learn about it and learn to use it.

Back