ASL questions

WillsMom08

Reaction score
looking for on line live teaching with an accredited certified teacher is it out there?

How much time is need to learn how to sign on a daily basis?
How long does it take to be fluent in asl in general??

I wonder if the deaf agency have Deaf mentor?? if they do have one, then the Deaf person will come to your house and communicate through ASL where you both can pick up ASL better. I know one ASL live online but it costs. Lisa Hubble Deaf ASL Instructor | Learn ASL Live Online

Try to check with V.R. and Deaf agency to see if they can provide free ASL classes.

Contact MSD or MAD (Mich Association of the Deaf) They may have a mentor program where a Deaf adult comes to your house to teach you ASL!

I lost my hearing around 6 years ago... I started learning ASL when my audiologist informed me of the damage. I am fluent today, but even now there's still some things I stammer on. I would say I was fluent ( I consider fluent able to carry on a full conversation ) at about 4.5 to 5 years. That was me busting my butt at it every day and using it every day. Even now like I said, I still hit a word where I'm like... WTF?! Like acupuncture... got that the other day... was like, eh? Had to learn that one... but when the heck am I ever going to use that!? lol! Anyway, if you really stick to the guns, you can do it in a few years. Of course if it's a child, they have the time because even their English vocabulary isn't that of an adults, so it's not SO intense. =) Good luck!

These days I'd consider myself "passable" as in I can get my point across in ASL and can understand ASL. I'm much better at receptive ASL than expressive ASL.
I grew up with interpreters and surrounded by ASL and spoken English.
But these days I have the most powerful hearing aids and have small classes. Yeah, it would be easier with an interpreter but when is life ever easy?

I honestly don't know of any that are online and accredited.
Do you want something you could take for credit or just someone you know will do a good job?
The other thing to consider is regional signs... they do exist and it is best to learn in the area you will be signing, because of these regional signs.

interesting to link!

alots of professor fan love ASL ;)

Back