ASL dictionary or ASL class??

ajamesr2

Reaction score
I could not believe my university would not let me (a hard of hearing student) enroll in an ASL class. This got me very frustrated because I used to be in an ASL class in high school (it was excessively basic yet, I really enjoyed it). So I bought myself an ASL dictionary, found myself an online ASL dictionary (http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro) and began learning some signs. It seems to be an extremely slow process because I will want to learn a phrase, yet, I find it quite annoying opening up and looking up each and every word (not as in signed english though).
So I want to know... ASL dictionary or ASL class? :dunno:

ajamesr2 said:
I could not believe my university would not let me (a hard of hearing student) enroll in an ASL class. This got me very frustrated because I used to be in an ASL class in high school (it was excessively basic yet, I really enjoyed it). So I bought myself an ASL dictionary, found myself an online ASL dictionary (http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro) and began learning some signs. It seems to be an extremely slow process because I will want to learn a phrase, yet, I find it quite annoying opening up and looking up each and every word (not as in signed english though).

Are you serious? They won't let you enroll in an ASL class? Did they tell you why not?

This sounds fishy to me...and odd of UWM to do that...

And...for you, I would definitely suggest ASL class...it's interactive. ASL dictionary is not interactive. :)

Oh. I just remembered....I don't know if that church is still doing that...but Emmanuel Lutheran Church for the Deaf used to hold ASL classes every week...you could check there. Just an idea. :)

ajamesr2 said:

An ASL class would definetely be a much bigger help than a book. Books' diagrams can be misleading, and regionally different. I've had great experiences in taking ASL classes through a local interpretting agency (levels 1-3). You will get a lot more real practice that way.

As for the college not letting you take the class, did they provide you with a specific reason why?

It was at UW-La Crosse. They told me it is required to be an upperclassman to take the courses they provided.

ajamesr2 said:
It was at UW-La Crosse. They told me it is required to be an upperclassman to take the courses they provided.

Well, if that's their actual policy, then you don't have much of a choice. Have you looked into taking classes through other local organizations?

Back