ASL Alphabet?

KodiKoalaBear

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the ASL Alphabet looks like?
Because apparently the one I learned is completely wrong :(

2d2izac.jpg

Where or who taught your version of the sign language alphabet?

The image Bottesini provided you is all you need.

Well, I found some print out pages online that my friends gave good reviews for. It told me the alphabet they had was a tiny bit outdated, but I didnt realize it was THAT off....

Well, I found some print out pages online that my friends gave good reviews for. It told me the alphabet they had was a tiny bit outdated, but I didnt realize it was THAT off....

can you show us what you were giving (the ASL alphabet hasn't changed in a REALLY long time)

Perhaps you found a BSL or other Sign Language alphabet instead of an ASL one ?

You probably should try to get live instruction. Internet learning of ASL is not really practical.

I think she is seeing the K-M-N-P regional differences. I remember my instructor speaking about those before.

I agree though, it is better to get real instruction before going live.

I agree - the ASL pictures are "correct" however they're drawn in a style that (if you don't already know ASL) can be VERY confusing and awkward to learn.

I would recommend looking at some websites that have videos of people actaully forming the ASL alphabet so you can watch.

here are a few websites that allow you to see each letter being formed correctly!
ASLPro.com Home (click on "A" on the left hand side, which will give you a menu of all their words that start with that letter, then click on the "A" in that list to see how to form the sign for the letter "A" ... continue on for B, C etc)

ASL Alphabet (plays a video) **edit, this is the same video A mentions

Hopefully these will help :)

Thanks everyone! All of this has helped and I'm on the right track to correcting my ASL alphabet xD

I think she is seeing the K-M-N-P regional differences. I remember my instructor speaking about those before.

I think your right, those are the only letters I really got confused with....
I was doing the Quiz Me thing on ASLPro and when I was watching the fingerspelling I was just like, 'what in the world?'

Thanks everyone! All of this has helped and I'm on the right track to correcting my ASL alphabet xD

I think your right, those are the only letters I really got confused with....
I was doing the Quiz Me thing on ASLPro and when I was watching the fingerspelling I was just like, 'what in the world?'

Happy we could help :)

FWIW, the only letter that I sort of shook my head at from the website you showed us, was the "F" -because it looks to use the Older French LSQ/LSF style (in the "F" shown the tip of the thumb & index don't connect like a flat "o" shape that is more typical - rather the index crosses one side of the thumb )

Back