ASL 1 student has some questions...

To understand written ASL better, And to make myself more proficient in it. I want to learn not only about how to gloss properly, but everything i can about the Deaf community, From the Perspective of the Deaf community, Not my ASL teacher.

To understand written ASL better, And to make myself more proficient in it. I want to learn not only about how to gloss properly, but everything i can about the Deaf community, From the Perspective of the Deaf community, Not my ASL teacher.

Much as I love to tease people, we just write standard English here. But you will learn there are lots of deaf jokers. :)

hope am not overstepping here but...

ASL by definition is not written. Gloss and ASL are not the same
if you want to learn more about Deaf culture, another very good possibility <and a way to learn about regional and local signs> make local contact with Deaf people who are open to it through a Deaf community center, Deaf services at a church, Deaf Coffee, silent dinners and so on. Also access uTube videos.

And remember the Deaf community has many perspectives.

:)

5pkis5.jpg
i don't understand Sock monkey? hahaha

Sock Monkey! Give sock monkey, you. My Christmas wish. :wave:

hope am not overstepping here but...

ASL by definition is not written. Gloss and ASL are not the same
if you want to learn more about Deaf culture, another very good possibility <and a way to learn about regional and local signs> make local contact with Deaf people who are open to it through a Deaf community center, Deaf services at a church, Deaf Coffee, silent dinners and so on. Also access uTube videos.

And remember the Deaf community has many perspectives.

:)

thanks haha i didnt know. :lol:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

thanks! i really like this website. I love ASL so much, i really want to get to know the Deaf community better!!

Now I want a sock monkey for Christmas, too! :hmm:

Yes sorry My glossing speak not really good. I only take ASL 4 months. Im Hearing.

How Hearing Person become respected Deaf People?

The only time one would ever "write using Gloss" is an ASL teacher who is giving sentences for an ASL student to practice ... so that the students who've connected "this sign, means this English word" are able to start seeing and using correct ASL grammar.

Whenever you are writing her, or to a Hoh/Deaf person - it's always best to use correct ENGLISH grammar (not write as if you were attempting to write down the glosses for ASL signs).

SOME Hoh/Deaf people will write with an "ASL accent" (ie use grammar and phrasing rules) however this is not because they are trying to write ASL - it's because for many of us English (written English) is our second, or third language - so the grammar isn't perfect. While I'm sure you don't mean it this way - sometimes people will intentionally "write deaf" to subtely make fun of etc Hoh/Deaf people (The same way some immature people copy the way foreigners speak - intentionally mispronouncing etc words to mock the person's poor English skills).

The only time you would alter the way you write (for someone who is Hoh/deaf) is if you have written sometime in correct English and someone didn't understand what you meant. At that point you might use different words, use a more simple sentence and possible clarify the time/tense - just like you would do if you were writing to someone who's first language was Spanish/French/German etc.

For example "Hey, are you going to grab some things at the store later?"
might be adjusted to "After work today, are you going to the grocery store to get food?"

To be respectful to Hoh/Deaf people, treat us with the same respect that you would want yourself. We, just like hearing people are unique - we come from various ethnic, social, cultural, linguistic and educational backgrounds, we have diverse types of employment (teachers, doctors, lawyers, mechanics, restaurant owners, IT/Computer technologies etc) ... and just because we happen to share a common feature, doesn't mean that we agree on how that does/should impact our lives, what (if anything) should be "done" about our being Hoh/d/Deaf, what languages and communication strategies are best/worst etc.

We're basically just like anyone else - we just interact with sounds differently than hearing people.

When posting here - just write as if you were writing proper English anywhere - the only exception is not using any kind of "text speak" shorthand/slang etc that many people use when they text, in instant messages, or chats etc (thx, 2mrw, 2day, 4ever, bff etc) as it can be very confusing for people who's first language is not English (in addition to ASL, we also have people post here who live in countries were English isn't the primary language spoken)

Hope that helps

1. The deaf community(as a whole) frowns upon the usage of Cochlear implants and hearing aids. If a Deaf person gets one of these devices, are the outcast or shamed within the community?

I have a CI and we are most certainly not outcast or shamed. Most of the controversy lies in the decision to implant young children / newborns.

2. How does a hearing person become an "Honorary Deaf Person"?

lolwhat, there's nosuchthing but learn sign language, socialize with the deaf and you'll be accepted with open arms

3. Is it rude to talk about music with a Deaf Person?

no.

As a long -timer HI user, I offer you this insight. No, persons with HI or CI are not considered outcast, However, the outcast are the born deaf who can read, write and speak English very well. Deaf culture requires the deaf to communicate in ASL only, or be looked down upon. Trust me, this is true because I experience it at each and every ASL social I go to.

Back