Ask Q's 4 Matajan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matajan,

If you can't answer questions about other topics, then you can't be interesting to Harvard women.

Harvard women want to discuss interesting topics, like world events and politics.

Harvard women don't want to discuss your family and wealth all the time.

Harvard women don't want to be bored.

:gpost:

I was also put in the "special" class room when I flunked fifth grade and it was horrible ! The students were given work that way too easy so we
could 'pass' the class! Then I was sent to the "special" class room in JR. high school and got a a teacher that was burned out and a bitch! We had her for all the subjects . The students were called "reject" in special class!
We were also given easy work and did not have to do any book reports or read poems, that was for the 'mainstream classes'. I hated school with a passion but I stuck it out . I was the oldest student in my high school and was 20 years old when I got out high school. I have alway felt like a damn failure for finishing school at 20 years old!

What state did you go to school through?

I think I got a bit lucky (and unlucky) with where I was at...wealthier, white suburban middle-upper class in CA.

I can definitely see where some teachers wouldn't cooperate if they are like what my current work managers are like (condescending when teaching and are more "sensitive" to students who might have behavior "problems"- in the work place this translates to bad first experiences and an earth-shattering amount of respect later.) and I can see where other factors besides quality education being factored weren't included in your IEP's or whatever system teachers went by to pass you through grades. Good teachers should sincerely try for an almost zero percent fail rate, regardless of physical disabilities. I'm a big believer in getting a good fit for a student so they do enjoy going to school (I hated it too, but I learned to "fake it until I make it and just getting "c's" got monkeys off my back) I'm not sure about "learning" disabilities so I'm not going to estimate those.

<near ignorance of asperger's> does matajan gets medication or any sort of treatment for his asperger's? </near ignorance of asperger's>

What state did you go to school through?

I think I got a bit lucky (and unlucky) with where I was at...wealthier, white suburban middle-upper class in CA.

I can definitely see where some teachers wouldn't cooperate if they are like what my current work managers are like (condescending when teaching and are more "sensitive" to students who might have behavior "problems"- in the work place this translates to bad first experiences and an earth-shattering amount of respect later.) and I can see where other factors besides quality education being factored weren't included in your IEP's or whatever system teachers went by to pass you through grades. Good teachers should sincerely try for an almost zero percent fail rate, regardless of physical disabilities. I'm a big believer in getting a good fit for a student so they do enjoy going to school (I hated it too, but I learned to "fake it until I make it and just getting "c's" got monkeys off my back) I'm not sure about "learning" disabilities so I'm not going to estimate those.

California school for the deaf, fremont

Once as berkeley prep campus near college prep in before 80s

California school for the deaf, fremont

Once as berkeley prep campus near college prep in before 80s

Did you miss Sheila's question? I am interested in the answer too

I am not saying other people are failure, this is how I feel about myself getting so long to get out of school. I did not go to college until years later and I end up dropping out. I was getting good grades , I just felt like an outsider ,as the hearing students had nothing to do with and I was older than them and I was not welcome in the deaf group as I did not know how to sign.

Your not a failure, your boat just hasn't come in yet.

Why not? Just curious....wouldn't that help?

While there isn't a 'medication for Autism/Aspergers'... he could be put on meds to help w/anxiety (if he has that) or depression-- or the lack of attention/difficulty focusing (like ADD/ADHD)

one of my closest friends son has Aspergers-- and he fixates on things as well-- even though he's on meds to help increase focus (similar to ADD) BUT he's 10 and we redirect him- and he does pretty good (he still melts down on occasion)... since this is all 'virtual' we can't physically engage Matajan in another topic so therefore he can avoid and ignore our attempts at redirection all the more easily--

what would be most helpful for him is behavorial therapy-- but at his age, you can't make him go-- so he'll probably continue to fixate and ask the same question a million different ways until he finds something/someone else to fixate on--

While there isn't a 'medication for Autism/Aspergers'... he could be put on meds to help w/anxiety (if he has that) or depression-- or the lack of attention/difficulty focusing (like ADD/ADHD)

one of my closest friends son has Aspergers-- and he fixates on things as well-- even though he's on meds to help increase focus (similar to ADD) BUT he's 10 and we redirect him- and he does pretty good (he still melts down on occasion)... since this is all 'virtual' we can't physically engage Matajan in another topic so therefore he can avoid and ignore our attempts at redirection all the more easily--

what would be most helpful for him is behavorial therapy-- but at his age, you can't make him go-- so he'll probably continue to fixate and ask the same question a million different ways until he finds something/someone else to fixate on--

Ah :ty: Makes alot of sense. I wonder how they do it at school.

I figured it would be more about therapy than meds.

:run: i have ADHD~ thats mean i have aspergers!?! :run:

im serious that i do have adhd.

yeah, this relative of mine is about 10 years old. He goes to school for Autism. He is a smart kid and loves playing with my son, but he kept asking where is ____ (the dog's name) even though his grandma repeatly tell him he is at her house. But mostly he have problem with self control like tapping the glass way too hard as if he is knocking a wood door and they are working with that as well as managing his fits. he is a very picky eater and they have been trying to get him to eat new food but very little luck. He'll eat applesauce and yogurt (and some other food I forgot) and that it. So he is having therapy for that as well.

Ah :ty: Makes alot of sense. I wonder how they do it at school.

I figured it would be more about therapy than meds.

both. I believe that depending on the severity of autism, it's manageable with therapy. and of course... the most vital component in here is constant parental involvement. since matajan is living alone... that makes matter much difficult for him.

both. I believe that depending on the severity of autism, it's manageable with therapy. and of course... the most vital component in here is constant parental involvement. since matajan is living alone... that makes matter much difficult for him.

Exactly! That's the key, parental involvement... and the right combo of meds for co-existant conditions and therapy.

:run: i have ADHD~ thats mean i have aspergers!?! :run:

im serious that i do have adhd.

You can have adhd without havinjg asperger... but a lot of kids w/aspergers have adhd and or other disorders (anxiety, ocd etc)

You can have adhd without havinjg asperger... but a lot of kids w/aspergers have adhd and or other disorders (anxiety, ocd etc)

duh? im just being a ironic. I know that, remember where i work at...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back