Arizona Bans Ethnic Studies/Teachers with Accents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me, but where do you get off calling this a "Hispanic purging" law?

The author of this law has grandchildren that are Hispanic ..... me thinks your racist.

This bill is an attempt to purge Arizona of ILLEGALS.

Perhaps Arizona should be focusing more on educating "English Comprehension" for the politically impaired.

Yeah. Illegals, and teachers with accents, and ethnic studies classes... common thread? :hmm:

Wirelessly posted

Same thing with Italians, Greeks and Slavs-- people know theyre of Europeans, but still see "colour." Yay for swarthy skin colour.

I think my parent's friends the Constants would be seen as being of color as they're quite swarthy. Their parents were from Greece.

Yeah. Illegals, and teachers with accents, and ethnic studies classes... common thread? :hmm:

If they ban a teacher with a New York accent, would that be racist?

There are Universities in England that only recruit Language teachers with a very specific accent.

Now this I get:

Arizona Department of Education has told schools that teachers with "heavy" or "ungrammatical" accents are no longer allowed to teach English classes.

If they ban a teacher with a New York accent, would that be racist?

There are Universities in England that only recruit Language teachers with a very specific accent.

Now this I get:

Several articles mentioned these laws were specifically directed at teachers with Spanish accents and Mexican-American ethnic studies programs. I only quoted one but I can give you other articles too (I didn't bother to quote them all originally since they all basically say the same thing).

As ThinkProgress notes, the Tucson Unified School District's popular Mexican-American studies department is the target here. The state superintendent charges that the program exhibits "ethnic chauvinism."

In the 1990s, Arizona hired hundreds of teachers whose first language was Spanish as part of a broad bilingual-education program. Many were recruited from Latin America.

Honestly, one has to be in serious denial not to see the common thread of racism here.

Sure. So long as they don't ban other cultures or other ways of speaking.

I am all for banning people from teaching English who cannot speak grammatically correct sentences in English.

I am also for banning people from teaching Driver's Education classes that cannot drive.

In addition, I would also support any bill that bans people from teaching ASL if they think SEE is a language.

Of course, you may see it as discriminatory and evil to ban a person whom uses SEE and teaches it as ASL, but do you agree or disagree that Deaf Culture should be protected?

Should hearing undergraduates be banned from attending Gallaudet?

I am all for banning people from teaching English who cannot speak grammatically correct sentences in English.

I am also for banning people from teaching Driver's Education classes that cannot drive.

In addition, I would also support any bill that bans people from teaching ASL if they think SEE is a language.

Slippery slope. When does an accent become too thick or nonstandard to no longer qualify as an English teacher? Yes, there are clear-cut cases, but there are a lot more gray-area cases. An example: would you allow someone who speaks Indian English to teach English?

Should hearing undergraduates be banned from attending Gallaudet?

Of course not. Especially if they're going into interpreting. There needs to be some people to bridge the Deaf-hearing gap.

Slippery slope. When does an accent become too thick or nonstandard to no longer qualify as an English teacher? Yes, there are clear-cut cases, but there are a lot more gray-area cases. An example: would you allow someone who speaks Indian English to teach English?

It can be an impediment to students learning in class. For example, I was taking a Partial Differential Equations math course at George Washington University that had an Indian (as in India) math professor. He could barely be understood his English under his really thick Indian accent. I asked other students in class if they could understand him and they said "Not really." I wasn't alone. I also had a Japanese professor in an Engineering class I took at GWU but his accent was a little easier to follow. But, boy, that Indian professor. Never had a professor who talked so bad that he could barely be understood.

Of course not. Especially if they're going into interpreting. There needs to be some people to bridge the Deaf-hearing gap.

What if they want to be Spanish Communication Majors? :D

What if they want to be Spanish Communication Majors? :D

Even if they don't major in interpreting, by being in the Deaf world, they are just through knowledge and experience acting as Deaf allies. Anyone who is willing to go to a course to take everything in another language and be that immersed in another culture has the credentials to be an advocate in my book.

Even if they don't major in interpreting, by being in the Deaf world, they are just through knowledge and experience acting as Deaf allies. Anyone who is willing to go to a course to take everything in another language and be that immersed in another culture has the credentials to be an advocate in my book.

What if they have no interest in being an advocate, they just want a "free education" paid for with your tax money? What if they demand you speak spanish and they do not Sign and refuse to learn Sign?

What if the knowledge they take they will only share with hearing people and not include deafies?

Is this ethical?

What if they aren't even registered students, they just "show up" mysteriously and attend class.

What if Gally makes it a new policy to allow its security to inquire in any contact with the student body if that student is allowed on campus or not?

Would it be ethical to allow the officers to ask if the student can sign in ASL?

Would it be ok to call any Gally security a "racist" for noticing that someone is hearing or deaf?

What if they have no interest in being an advocate, they just want a "free education" paid for with your tax money? What if they demand you speak spanish and they do not Sign and refuse to learn Sign?

What if the knowledge they take they will only share with hearing people and not include deafies?

Is this ethical?

What if they aren't even registered students, they just "show up" mysteriously and attend class.

What if Gally makes it a new policy to allow its security to inquire in any contact with the student body if that student is allowed on campus or not?

Would it be ethical to allow the officers to ask if the student can sign in ASL?

Would it be ok to call any Gally security a "racist" for noticing that someone is hearing or deaf?

Um...how does Gally pay for your education? Don't you have to pay to go to Gally (unless you get some sort of scholarship)?

Um...how does Gally pay for your education? Don't you have to pay to go to Gally (unless you get some sort of scholarship)?

What if there was an all inclusive scholarship funded from taxpayers money that ONLY paid for hearing people's college.

Suppose this hearing person had that scholarship for basically just being "hearing".

Here is a similar example:

http://collegegenie.com/content/scholarships-illegal-immigrants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back