are you transgender?

actaeon

Reaction score
i know many trans* people, some deaf people, but nobody who is both. it feels very lonely sometimes - the transgender people i know don't know what it's like to be deaf, and the deaf people i know don't know what it's like to be trans*.

i would love to meet deaf people who are also transgender or gender-nonconforming. we can e-mail or chat over skype. right now the PM function is not working, so if you are not comfortable sharing your info here let me know and we can figure out another way to exchange info.

Sorry not me. but i encourage you to post more than 10 posts so someone can pm you in a private message instead of posting it here. Unless they are pretty open minded.

thank you for your reply. the pm problem didn't have to do with post number and has been fixed, so people can pm me now.

I'm not transgender, but I know quite a few. Do you use ASL? I know I'm personally in Florida, and the gay / Trans / Deaf community here is rather large. :) There's always resources and I am quite active in the LGBT community here in Florida. ( Planning pride ect. ect. ) If you tell me an area you're from, I might be able to call around and find you people that are at the very least, LGBT friendly, and deaf. Good luck, don't be lonely! :D

Im open minded

I am not transgender, but I get perceived that way. I was assigned male at birth but identify as female since age 4. I am now 29. I have given up trying to explain that I am interex (PAIS) because not many folks have even a remote clue what that is or what it means. I guess I look female but have a deeper voice when speaking and that causes them some discomfort. I am also currently HOH and within the next year I will likely be getting a CI on my worst side. I would send you a message but I can't either as I am new to the board. /Sierra

I'm trans and HoH, but I live deep in the bible belt. I am alone on figuring things out and have absolutely zero support for this. My counselor suggested I find some relevant reading material, but I'm not sure what is a good source of information to act in lieu of real support or other trans people's experience.

I'm trans and HoH, but I live deep in the bible belt. I am alone on figuring things out and have absolutely zero support for this. My counselor suggested I find some relevant reading material, but I'm not sure what is a good source of information to act in lieu of real support or other trans people's experience.

Julie Serano is really good. She wrote "Whipping Girl: A transsexual Woman on sexism and the scapegoating of femininity".

Julie Serano is really good. She wrote "Whipping Girl: A transsexual Woman on sexism and the scapegoating of femininity".

I'm a bit confused, is the book aimed toward M to F or F to M? F to M would be useless for me.

M to F. She fully identifies as female, goes by Julie. Writes about her experiences and some in depth analysis of cultural issues (etc) that come into play. Extremely intelligent person.

M to F. She fully identifies as female, goes by Julie. Writes about her experiences and some in depth analysis of cultural issues (etc) that come into play. Extremely intelligent person.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Sure. My library had it - I don't know if you have access to a good library system, but maybe you can avoid spending any money.

Sure. My library had it - I don't know if you have access to a good library system, but maybe you can avoid spending any money.

I actually work for the local public library, I'll check saturday when I go to work for it, but I very much doubt they will have it since that isn't exaclt popular on demand reading material for bible belt Appalachia.

Can they borrow from other libraries? Sometimes mine will do that - I'll end up with a book from somewhere else in the country. The request takes a little longer to fill, but I've gotten books that way a few times.

Can they borrow from other libraries? Sometimes mine will do that - I'll end up with a book from somewhere else in the country. The request takes a little longer to fill, but I've gotten books that way a few times.

Our library system has several branches in the area, but I don't think we borrow from libraries outside our system. I could try the public library system for the county my school is in (Yeah, I have to leave the county to go to class).

I'll ask my supervisor if we borrow books from outside our system, but I'm a bit hesitant to get it from the library I work at since I'm not exactly open about it.

Oh right! I didn't think of that, but good point. I wish things were more private at our library. It used to be that if you did a book request, they would keep it behind the check out area for you. Now they have a section of shelves right out there with all the other sections where anyone can look, and your book has a sticker with your full name on it. Alot of the stuff I read isn't a big deal, but once in a while I'll want to look at something that I feel more sensitive/private about, and I'd really rather it not just be sitting there. Plus right now there's a guy who's kind of harassing me, and I'd really hate for him to know anything about me that he doesn't already know, including what I'm reading. I think he doesn't know my last name though, so I might be ok on that score.

amy thanks for posting the book reference. I happen to be bi but have been involved in various events and groups with folks of all different orientations, including gender-queer and pansexual or intersex.

Some years ago I attended a beautiful wedding where one person was trans -M to F - and the other person was either bi or lesbian.

Saavik, what about a university where you are - if you could see if you could use or have access through their library, OR connect with the university's GBLTQ group/club/Center, or if the place is lucky enough to have GBLTQ studies department/minor....any of those examples may have people and resources to assist you.

Hey dogmom:wave:

Sure - love to share about good books.

I'm not trans (or bi etc) but I often don't fit into the mainstream very well. So when I'm looking for something to read, especially memoir-type stuff, I find that writing by people who, in one way or another, also don't fit the big molds is the most resonant for me. I've found some really great stuff over the years - I wish I'd kept a list of some of the better books. Glad I remembered Julie Serano:0

amy thanks for posting the book reference. I happen to be bi but have been involved in various events and groups with folks of all different orientations, including gender-queer and pansexual or intersex.

Some years ago I attended a beautiful wedding where one person was trans -M to F - and the other person was either bi or lesbian.

Saavik, what about a university where you are - if you could see if you could use or have access through their library, OR connect with the university's GBLTQ group/club/Center, or if the place is lucky enough to have GBLTQ studies department/minor....any of those examples may have people and resources to assist you.

Not a university, I'm in a community college and there is not GBLTQ studies or a LGBT group/ club/ center at least not one I could find. I also very much doubt the college's library will have anything on the subject, but I'll look anyway.

ahh the notification system on this thread is borked!

MEWTILATION - i'm from the DC area but may be moving to rochester after this winter.

SIERRA - if you're still reading this thread, would it be okay for me to add you as a contact/friend on here? then we can figure out how to stay in touch if you like.

SAAVIK - I will ask my trans* university student group for good online resources.

AMYLYNNE, DOGMOM - thanks for contributing to this thread!

Back