Are you plan to buy Window Vista?

I rather stick with Windows XP for now. Maybe a year or two after Windows Vista is released, I'll see if everything works out... then I'll get it. :)

deafclimber said:
thanks ! yea that Garden of Gods is a popular place to climb...

yea i know several climbers die from rock climbing in different areas... i have falling down like 30ft 22 ft and several double digits ft down and barely crashed onto grounds... we know rock climbing is very risky... but we love it more and more... :) thanks for answering my QQ.

now back to Windows Topic... :) thanks for being patience with me.

Your welcome. Glad you have my answers!

gnulinuxman said:
Linux is also very powerful and my distro releases a new version every 6 months--well, they were 2 months late with the current release, but they're making up for it by making the next release 4 months after the current release. :)

Windows is the only operating system I don't like, and of course it has to be the one on the majority of computers... :ugh:

I have good friend who is Linux geek and smart. He wanted me to know about Linux. I love it :) I know it has good Mach microkernel more powerful than Window...

diehardbiker65 said:
Sure it would be free, but there is strings attached.... It is full of bugs and there won't be much of technical support UNLESS you provide detailed trouble/issues. And they are "Time sensitive". There is a catch, if it breaks or damage your PC, then your pretty MUCH on your own!

Talk talk talk. Cut it out. I already play it for few months and I dont see bugs so much! Just found that it have problem with AIM 5.9 for install so I use gaim and no problem so far. Weird. I just shocked and much better than Windows XP when it's release and it had few bugs. My coworker have one too and no problem found so far. You should try it first before you talk.

That's why I install Vista on my 3rd computer for play around. HD really old like 20gb, ram have lifetime warranty, and very cheap motherboard. No need to worry about that.

That's why It's FREE and Beta. If I find any bugs so just reporting to M$ for solve a problem in future. I have free Vista for AROUND one year.

Neo said:
I am not really lazy to check. I was not SURE what exactly I have to do it. I am still noob for Linux but I have to learn. Thanks for link. I will check it out later.
I know you aren't. I was just kidding because when we were talking about firewall ports, you said you were to lazy to configure them for gaming. Did you ever find out what hardware you are running?

starrygaze said:
I have good friend who is Linux geek and smart. He wanted me to know about Linux. I love it :) I know it has good Mach microkernel more powerful than Window...
I use to bash Windows alot (still do sometimes). We recently aquired a 64 bit Athlon dual core system in running XP64 and I have to say this thing rocks in terms of performance. Perhaps Linux or even SolarisX86 would perform better. It really depends on your application. My opinion is that the advantages the ***UX operating systems have is stability. They recover better but having said that, Windows blue screens have also drastically reduced over time. At least that is what I've observed in my environment. We still use the **UX systems for our server products.

rockdrummer said:
I know you aren't. I was just kidding because when we were talking about firewall ports, you said you were to lazy to configure them for gaming. Did you ever find out what hardware you are running?

Too many game have diff firewall ports.

Not yet. I will find it out this weekend. I was too busy this weekday.

I don't need to buy new computer with Windows anymore because I'm getting PS3 with Linux. :)

Neo said:
I am not really lazy to check. I was not SURE what exactly I have to do it. I am still noob for Linux but I have to learn. Thanks for link. I will check it out later.

Neo was right, because he not know about this Linux, that is a new learning. He not know how to set up. Neo will can check and learning new everything. :) Don't worry! He can do it.

Neo said:
Too many game have diff firewall ports.

Not yet. I will find it out this weekend. I was too busy this weekday.

What kind of your job you have? Maybe, I will need a job for computer fit. I wish looking for job. :(

DId I talk too much? Didn't you bother to read Micro$oft Disclaimer notice on their own website about downloading beta software??? They already said they aren't responsible if anything goes wrong with your PC with Beta softwares? They already mentioned that if your not experience with Beta, and it is NOT recommended for inexperienced users! It wasn't my word, it was MICRO$OFT's OWN statement!

Neo said:
Talk talk talk. Cut it out. I already play it for few months and I dont see bugs so much! Just found that it have problem with AIM 5.9 for install so I use gaim and no problem so far. Weird. I just shocked and much better than Windows XP when it's release and it had few bugs. My coworker have one too and no problem found so far. You should try it first before you talk.

That's why I install Vista on my 3rd computer for play around. HD really old like 20gb, ram have lifetime warranty, and very cheap motherboard. No need to worry about that.

That's why It's FREE and Beta. If I find any bugs so just reporting to M$ for solve a problem in future. I have free Vista for AROUND one year.

diehardbiker65 said:
DId I talk too much? Didn't you bother to read Micro$oft Disclaimer notice on their own website about downloading beta software??? They already said they aren't responsible if anything goes wrong with your PC with Beta softwares? They already mentioned that if your not experience with Beta, and it is NOT recommended for inexperienced users! It wasn't my word, it was MICRO$OFT's OWN statement!
Who takes the time to read those discalimers? But you are right DHB and those same statements will be found in the production releases too. Not just the beta. It's like that with any software vendor. They are not responsible for anything. As a business, they have to limit their liability.

I know, most people don't EVEN bother to read the fine print note! These are what companies bury into too deep for anyone to read then when somebody files complaint, then company said, well read that fine print note... so too bad!

I am not saying that software that is in beta stage is bad to download and run. Some people know how to handle flaws while other who is really inept and it is NOT recommended for them to try this out.

rockdrummer said:
Who takes the time to read those discalimers? But you are right DHB and those same statements will be found in the production releases too. Not just the beta. It's like that with any software vendor. They are not responsible for anything. As a business, they have to limit their liability.

diehardbiker65 said:
I am not saying that software that is in beta stage is bad to download and run. Some people know how to handle flaws while other who is really inept and it is NOT recommended for them to try this out.
Oooooo ...... I would be carful about calling folks "inept" just because they cant resolve flaws. Perhaps a better choice would be "in-experienced" The word inept has very negative meanings.

starrygaze said:
Linux is a monolithic kernel, not a microkernel-based system.

However, a related system called GNU/HURD is based on the Mach microkernel.

gnulinuxman said:
Linux is a monolithic kernel, not a microkernel-based system.

However, a related system called GNU/HURD is based on the Mach microkernel.
Here is great info as you mentioned on the efforts to get Lunux microkernel based. http://cbbrowne.com/info/microkernel.html ExoKernels are the next generation.

My personal choice would be a microkernel OS. This is supported by the below excerpt from the The Tanenbaum-Torvalds Debate in 1992 Here is the link it came from. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/appa.html The comment made about Intel CPU's no longer holds true. Remeber this was from 14 years ago. CPU's have evolved since then.

1. MICROKERNEL VS MONOLITHIC SYSTEM
Most older operating systems are monolithic, that is, the whole operating
system is a single a.out file that runs in 'kernel mode.' This binary
contains the process management, memory management, file system and the
rest. Examples of such systems are UNIX, MS-DOS, VMS, MVS, OS/360,
MULTICS, and many more.

The alternative is a microkernel-based system, in which most of the OS
runs as separate processes, mostly outside the kernel. They communicate
by message passing. The kernel's job is to handle the message passing,
interrupt handling, low-level process management, and possibly the I/O.
Examples of this design are the RC4000, Amoeba, Chorus, Mach, and the
not-yet-released Windows/NT.

While I could go into a long story here about the relative merits of the
two designs, suffice it to say that among the people who actually design
operating systems, the debate is essentially over. Microkernels have won.
The only real argument for monolithic systems was performance, and there
is now enough evidence showing that microkernel systems can be just as
fast as monolithic systems (e.g., Rick Rashid has published papers comparing
Mach 3.0 to monolithic systems) that it is now all over but the shoutin'.

MINIX is a microkernel-based system. The file system and memory management
are separate processes, running outside the kernel. The I/O drivers are
also separate processes (in the kernel, but only because the brain-dead
nature of the Intel CPUs makes that difficult to do otherwise). LINUX is
a monolithic style system. This is a giant step back into the 1970s.
That is like taking an existing, working C program and rewriting it in
BASIC. To me, writing a monolithic system in 1991 is a truly poor idea.

Yea, something like that :)

rockdrummer said:
Oooooo ...... I would be carful about calling folks "inept" just because they cant resolve flaws. Perhaps a better choice would be "in-experienced" The word inept has very negative meanings.

We do not talk about Linux ok. We talk about Window.

Please stop argue about Micosoft ok. :)

scottw said:
We do not talk about Linux ok. We talk about Window.

Please stop argue about Micosoft ok. :)
I think that Windows vista is the next generation ExoKernel based OS. For that it would be interesting to check it out but for me, I tend to shy away from the new stuff until it has a chance to stabalize in the market. That makes for a more reliable system in my opinion.

Back