Are you coming to Pittsburgh?

tuatara

pro-water
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had a great meetup with an AllDeaf member who was coming through Pittsburgh - I want to do more of that!

I am hearing, continuing to work on my ASL, not 100% fluent, but I can carry a conversation.

If you are coming to Pittsburgh and would like to meet, send me a PM:)

I am not offering to put people up overnight (not enough space here) but I can help you find places, give you a ride (within the city, nothing crazy), help with information about the area if needed, things like that.

I mainly want to spend time chatting in ASL, so if you're willing to spend some voice-off time with a semi-stranger, maybe we can work something out. If you are fluent and good at helping people with their signing, we could even do a trade: maybe you need a ride from the airport? I don't know, just brainstorming. I should mention that I don't like to sign too much while I drive. I'll do a minimal amount, but I generally like to keep my eyes on the road:0

sorry, not for a long time. Too much road construction, really a turn off. Makes me happy that I moved out of Pgh. I will come down near Pgh, but not close enough for me to stop by.

Understood. That's a very good reason. Not sure why the construction is so bad here. Do we use materials that don't last very long? I mean worse than other cities?

On the plus side, if there's someone who has to come to Pittsburgh, all the more use for a tour guide who knows her way around the construction:)

I am native Pittsburgh, and I believe the reason behind this is that they got thousand of expensive bridges to take care of. Heard majority of them are in need of repairs and Commonwealth of PA dept of transportation gets broke fast and easy because of excessive number of bridges and tunnels to take care of. Also plenty of strange and crazy patterns of road makes construction even more of nightmare. I still have clear map of Pgh roads, and my wife kept telling me Im going wrong way, I told her F&^%K that GPS, they are wrong! I ended up was right, LOL

Understood. That's a very good reason. Not sure why the construction is so bad here. Do we use materials that don't last very long? I mean worse than other cities?

On the plus side, if there's someone who has to come to Pittsburgh, all the more use for a tour guide who knows her way around the construction:)

Also plenty of strange and crazy patterns of road makes construction even more of nightmare.

Right. Build your city streets based on a triangle: can lead to confusion. I think most people have the sense that if you make a wrong turn, you should be able to correct it by making 3 more of the same turn. Doesn't work here! Even if it did, so many streets are one-way, you often can't make that turn.

Yup, hence why they called Golden Triangle. If your on Mount Washington during night, you can almost see golden triangle around downtown. Beautiful lightning around downtown. Heard, they improved the fountain on the front of downtown where it used to be Fort Pitt facing three rivers joining together.

I'm impressed how they finally figured out how to improve West end circle, much better than when it used to be. I have seen too many near collision, mostly of them were non-Pittsburghers and they have no idea exact pattern should be. LOL

And that is the reason why I don't trust GPS, only in Pittsburgh :) My wife still don't get it, oh well.

For most of west part of Carson City Street (After West end circle), I normally speeding because I KNOW there is no place for cop to hide and catch speeders like me. Not anymore, after they add new busway, making it easier for cop to hide. I don't care cause I don't live there anymore. LOL

Oh, for Blvd of Allies if going west from Parkway East, getting off onto Blvd of Allies if want go to downtown will be a mistake! Map won't be clear on that route. It won't let you go straight to downtown, but make you turn right into West Liberty bridge or back into uptown causing confusion. I have seen this happens so many times.

My brother lives in Lawrenceville. I can't believe how damn narrow street he lives on. For most cars, its fine, but for my truck, shyt! I have to go slow otherwise I will hit parked cars on either sides. I found out my truck width is about 6 feet 2 inches, most cars 5 feet wide.

Right. Build your city streets based on a triangle: can lead to confusion. I think most people have the sense that if you make a wrong turn, you should be able to correct it by making 3 more of the same turn. Doesn't work here! Even if it did, so many streets are one-way, you often can't make that turn.

t
I had a great meetup with an AllDeaf member who was coming through Pittsburgh - I want to do more of that!

I am hearing, continuing to work on my ASL, not 100% fluent, but I can carry a conversation.

If you are coming to Pittsburgh and would like to meet, send me a PM:)

I am not offering to put people up overnight (not enough space here) but I can help you find places, give you a ride (within the city, nothing crazy), help with information about the area if needed, things like that.

I mainly want to spend time chatting in ASL, so if you're willing to spend some voice-off time with a semi-stranger, maybe we can work something out. If you are fluent and good at helping people with their signing, we could even do a trade: maybe you need a ride from the airport? I don't know, just brainstorming. I should mention that I don't like to sign too much while I drive. I'll do a minimal amount, but I generally like to keep my eyes on the road:0

Well next year when the Furries are in town again, come visit us Deaf Furs at Anthrocon 2014... Ill be there again:deaf: They will have SLIP providing interprefurs again next year
1044637_630136977004465_413299858_n.jpg

Well next year when the Furries are in town again, come visit us Deaf Furs at Anthrocon 2014... Ill be there again:deaf: They will have SLIP providing interprefurs again next year

Thanks! I've never been to one before. Do they let furless people in?

Oh cool:)

Did you get any good sightseeing in during your visit this year?
I went down to the park (or fountain) where the rivers meet, but not much other than that. too much going on at the con itself

Ok Southpaw, I've been dying to ask this: is it hard to sign with paws?

Ok Southpaw, I've been dying to ask this: is it hard to sign with paws?

Not at all but I had my fursuit made with 5 finger paws so it would be easy to sign. I did shave the fur down and make a new set of paws from the original, long fur on the paws makes it hard to see the individual fingers. Werefox (a Deaf fur from Germany) has 4 finger paws and I never had issue understanding his signs. As u can see, he is signing the letter "F" in the pic. the number 6 might be a bit of a challange but u just sign it with 2 paws with 3 on each paw..

Not at all but I had my fursuit made with 5 finger paws so it would be easy to sign. I did shave the fur down and make a new set of paws from the original, long fur on the paws makes it hard to see the individual fingers. Werefox (a Deaf fur from Germany) has 4 finger paws and I never had issue understanding his signs. As u can see, he is signing the letter "F" in the pic. the number 6 might be a bit of a challange but u just sign it with 2 paws with 3 on each paw..

Oh neat - customization:)

I noticed his 4 fingered F. At first I was thinking it would be a challenge, but then started realizing how rarely it (four fingers) would probably be an issue. Still, I wasn't sure if most paws (etc) are made to allow for sufficient movement and clarity, but it sounds like you really make things work. Coool.

Back