• Terrified!

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • No problem

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • Don't like them, but it's no big deal

Votes: 47 49.0%

• Total voters
speaking of drawing blood --
One time I had some odd fever and was admitted to the ER. I saw these huge vials they were going to use on me. I was like oh man.

One poke, then vial, then next vial, next.. next.. boom, done. I am sure they drew at least a pint and half within a two minute period.

sadly, they all came out negative.

why not right next to the ankle?
They were considering it as the next option (hence the towels) but they gave one last "shot" (pun) at the arm (different nurse; actually, I think it was a corpsman, as I recall) who got it. Whew!

Ha! They almost had me do that once. :lol:

One time I had to give blood for my annual physical. It took three nurses and one doctor taking turns over four hours to get enough for one vial. They made me squeeze the rubber ball in each hand, walk briskly up and down the clinic halls, laid me down with wet towels on my legs, and punctured me on both arms in multiple spots. I think if they hadn't been finally successful they would have tried my jugular next. Ugh!
:aw: Poor, Reba....year after year.....

speaking of drawing blood --
One time I had some odd fever and was admitted to the ER. I saw these huge vials they were going to use on me. I was like oh man.

One poke, then vial, then next vial, next.. next.. boom, done. I am sure they drew at least a pint and half within a two minute period.

sadly, they all came out negative.

They were considering it as the next option (hence the towels) but they gave one last "shot" (pun) at the arm (different nurse; actually, I think it was a corpsman, as I recall) who got it. Whew!
At your next annual - you know what to do: Request that corpsman.

:aw: Poor, Reba....year after year.....
Heh, heh, yeah. Sometimes I get skilled phlebotomist, then it's not so bad.

One year, for my annual Navy physical, I went thru the whole day-long process of going from one "station" to the next. At each station (various doctors, corpsmen, procedures, etc.) I would get my checklist signed. After a particularly grueling blood draw, I was finally done for the day.

While I was waiting in the clinic lobby for my ride, the corpsman who drew my blood came out and said, "I'm glad I caught you before you left. I dropped your blood vial on the floor and it broke. I need to get another sample."

I laughed, and said, "Yeah, right, ha, ha." I thought that he was teasing me because we had such a struggle with getting my blood.

He said, "No, I'm not kidding. I really did drop it."

He was serious.

I said, "Wait a minute. Look at my check list. You signed it. That proves I gave blood. My only responsibility is to give the blood and get the list signed. I'm done. Whatever happens afterward to the blood is your responsibility."

He went back into the clinic (probably to get someone senior to talk to me). In the meantime, my ride appeared, and I dashed out the door.

Apparently I was right about the checklist thing because no one called me back. (Either that or he was really kidding.) :D

At your next annual - you know what to do: Request that corpsman.
The only problem with using military medical facilities is that no one on staff is permanent. Here today, gone tomorrow. Since I've retired, I use VA (Veterans) hospital and clinic. The phlebotomists there have been pretty good. Either that or my older veins are easier to access now. :lol:

:giggle: That's so funny that they giggle. How on earth did you get them to giggle while they were getting the shots?

I've so many needles poked into me in my life. I'm good about it, but my tolerance goes down if I go through too many pokings in such a short time. Fortunately, the lowered tolerance lasts a year. Four years ago, I had SO MANY blood draws and a lumbar puncture (spinal tap) done in 3 days I was in the hospital.

We just started it when they were newborn and that's what they've always known.

:lol: I chose no profession at all. The nail was on the job. The bullet however was random.

restraining myself from making a texas farm hick joke...I am totally a farm girl and know several people who have been randomly shot (often by themselves and by accident) so somehow that would make making a hick joke more PC...but still I will refrain.

Needles don't phase me.

Dentists don't phase me.

The eyeball pressure test, however, is a whole different story. :thumbd:

Needles don't phase me.

Dentists don't phase me.

The eyeball pressure test, however, is a whole different story. :thumbd:

oh god please... don't mention that test again.... reading about it from Buckets a while ago was bad enough *shudder*

restraining myself from making a texas farm hick joke...I am totally a farm girl and know several people who have been randomly shot (often by themselves and by accident) so somehow that would make making a hick joke more PC...but still I will refrain.

Lol, I was in the city (houston) the bullet was meant for someone else. I was quite a ways away. Lickily it was to the calf. I still have a really nice scar.

Lol, I was in the city (houston) the bullet was meant for someone else. I was quite a ways away. Lickily it was to the calf. I still have a really nice scar.

Ahha, Farm boy here kinda. Shot myself in the bicep with a .22. I was shooting at a nail across the yard (2 acres or so away) hit it and it came back to me. I saw it coming and couldnt do anything. Like .. Oh shit... and plunked me in the bicep. not too bad really.

So, the perp who shot your dang calf - did you get him to the death row?

Ahha, Farm boy here kinda. Shot myself in the bicep with a .22. I was shooting at a nail across the yard (2 acres or so away) hit it and it came back to me. I saw it coming and couldnt do anything. Like .. Oh shit... and plunked me in the bicep. not too bad really.

So, the perp who shot your dang calf - did you get him to the death row?

Lol.....I wish. They never even caught the guy. I don't know if it is a National problem or just TX but they never seem to catch the bad guys here.

I will scream if a lab tech pokes needle into my skin.

I am Diabetic, I must take insulin at 2x a day. Yes, it does involve an insulin pen. :aw: I have a tattoo as well. Weird, huh?

Blood test needles: yuck!
IV needles extreme yuck!
Anesthesia needles for teeth surgery: frustrated *urgh*

In general... I'm not scared but definitely don't like them! Always try to avoid them whenever I can especially at the dentist :D

Back