Are there any deaf/Deaf lawyers on AD?

LOL.....Playing with words now, eh? :laugh2:

I don't think I am. I thought that the previous post implied that there are tons of lawyers out there trying to get innocent people put in jail just to close a case. Call me naive but I don't think that happens everyday.

every single person have someone out there who loves them. Mother, father, son, daughter, friend.
I went to a semi private cathilic school were everyones parents were one of the following prison guards(skrews), inmates, or they knew through the school someone inside.

Have you ever sat with a kid crying because dad just got 17 years non parole or seen a school yard because of things going on with their parents( normally an inmates child beating up a guards child)? To them it doesnt matter about guit or being innocent the ONLY thing that is DADS INSIDE

I don't think I am. I thought that the previous post implied that there are tons of lawyers out there trying to get innocent people put in jail just to close a case. Call me naive but I don't think that happens everyday.

Their job is to win the case... so if someone is consider guilty, they do what they can to prove they are guilty even though they may not be guilty afterall.

and yes, some lawyers do think some are guilty and some are innocent, but they can't be positively sure .. but it is still their job to defend their case or client no matter what.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm a lawyer. If you can read and write well, go for it. Lots of reading and exams are long essays. As a deaf lawyer, you can hire a court reporter that provides real time reporting of proceedings. You can also write briefs, draw up contracts/wills, or become a patent attorney (requires science or engineering and 2nd bar). Of course, you may also advocate for the deaf/Deaf community.
Do I know you? It's nice to meet another lawyer here in these forums. Send me a PM if you'd like.

I'm interested in a career in law and would like to know if there's any deafies who are lawyers on here and could share their experiences in a field that relies so heavily on communication and such. :)
I'm a lawyer, or so the State of Florida claims... :) As you can infer, I'm not practicing law now. I'm a teacher instead.

Anyway, back to your question... Law right now is a very oversaturated field. There's too many lawyers competing for few jobs. There's too many law schools out there, and a culling would help matters somewhat.

If you still want to enter the field of law, I strongly recommend that you try to get into a Top 20 law school. Otherwise, it just isn't worth it. The people doing the hiring can 'discriminate' against you on the basis of your law school background.

It may dismay you to know that being a lawyer is more about marketing yourself rather than depending on your skillset. (Well, at the beginning. Skill and experience eventually wins out in the end.) You need to market yourself effectively and network with a lot of people if you're starting out in this field and after you've graduated from law school.

It largely depends on your personality, looks, affability, etc. Some people aren't just friendly and can't casually strike up conversations and network away... Being Deaf makes it harder, as most people find the communications aspect of marketing and networking to be difficult

Someday in the future, I'll be practicing law again. Probably will go solo and work in matters involving probate, and maybe special education. Right now, I'm too busy being a teacher and loving it. :)

Ooh, another lawyer! Yes, I want to go to Yale. That's my dream law school. :) I understand that it may be more about marketing myself at the beginning, but I honestly think I would enjoy it. I like reading, writing, and analyzing. I am an oral deafie at the moment, but I will be learning ASL soon. I do not currently feel that I need to solely rely on it yet, but I am aware that it is possible I could lose all residual hearing and have to have some sort of accommodation.

I used to want to be a teacher, but I figured I'd have too much trouble trying to understand anything a student asked me. I could probably teach at a Deaf/deaf/hoh school, but I'm not sure I would honestly want to do that forever.

been a lawyer is not that easy but if you are determine you will make it after all

we can do all things a person do expect hear

Okay, quick comment to those who responded to this person's question:

Way off topic here. She was simply requesting information from those who experienced the challenges and events in being a deaf lawyer. Respect the fact that she is simply interested in more information. The fact of the matter is for this person, she is not interested in other people's opinions or demeaning comments of being such a professional. Allow this person to explore and understand this profession of those who are already in the field and let her decide what she feels. There is no need to give her an opinion about "sending a father away to jail and hurting a child." This is reality and this is life. We must enforce the laws of our country and that every citizen is held accountable for their own actions. Lawyers are simply those who defend or prosecute those who offend the order of society. This is each citizen's decision to choose which profession they best fit in and that they can contribute back to society however they can.

Now: I am about to head to law school and it is indeed a challenge. What I highly suggest is that each person prepares before law school. What I mean by preparation is that go to some used college textbook stores or online websites that offer textbooks, see if you can buy some and study some of the essential things to survive law school. Have a good understanding of the school you are about to attend's requirements (including reading assignments and exam preparations) and be very aware of not having much of a life while you are in the program. This way, you are very much open to the challenges of law school. Make sure you choose the type of program that offers C-Print and interpreting, strong tutoring systems, and mentoring. If you know any deaf individuals that are lawyers, ask them if you can get tutoring and advice from them. This way, you can get the best out of all your options and that you can be able to make a strong choice in what kind of law you'll be working in. Just as a reminder: you do not have to worry about the field of choice at the moment. As soon as you finish your first year, you'll be able to realize what you'll be interested in. If not, spend some time in a coop position with a lawyer or law office. This will help you decide. A degree is a degree of course and that once you earn that certification, you can pretty much do a general field of law or management in a company. I hope this was some strong and profound advice. I wouldn't entirely depend on the words I've stated above but I believe that between us two curious future deaf lawyers or whatever, this would help.

Best of luck to you.

Back