are there any captioned free internet tv?

shengchieh

Reaction score
Pardon me if this has been discussed before (just give me the link).
The search engine knocks out tv when I search for "internet tv".

What is the status of internet tv for hearing impaired? I'm looking for some that are

1) free
2) captioned (it's not enough for voice-only)
3) runs on any OS, i.e.,
- this desktop uses linux;
- tv runs Wii internet which uses opera - don't know OS
- there are a few window boxes, but I prefer not to use them (because they are not mine)

It's a plus, if I can view main channels that show some sports (like ABS).

Thank in advanced for any tips.

Sheng-Chieh

I am surprised that Hulu has some video clips with the closed-captioning feature. I was invited to check it out through an invitation-only group but I never bothered to sign up. This was about two years ago. :o

so far I have know that most CC available on hulu.com are most from Fox Studio such as...

House Md
Bones
Family Guy
The Simpson
Hell's Kitchen
New Amsterdam

That's so far I have check these...

free tv with capitoniong

You can try http://freetube.110mb.com IPTV, it's not the best thing but it's pretty darn cool. Some of the foreign channels have subtitles, but go to Veesee TV and click on it and it has both sign language and captioning which I found useful.

It requires *windows media player but I use linux and found mplayer works perfectly with it.

You can find Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free. and browse to see if its provided closed caption. Entire website is free. Note: Not all are closed captioned

Or go to Cnet.com and some of their press released are captioned. Note: Closed captions will appears few days later, and not always promised.

Nice!! I tried that and I watched Dr House w/ CC. I'm using old 800mhz system with crappy graphic card. kinda choppy cuz of this system. I would use that on my laptop which is much faster and smoother tho.

Catty

I use megaupload to download links from a show-sharing community. Because I have a premium (uncapped speeds) account, downloading each episode takes about 3-7 minutes. If you download the captions, like from TVsubtitles.net - Download latest TV Show and TV Series subtitles and store them with the same name in the same folder, most video players will simply automatically load them. All in all, the show finding and downloading the show / captions and renaming them rarely takes more than 10 minutes. While not true 'internet tv' the exchange is very improved video quality, access to more captions for even unpopular / canceled shows, no more bloody freezing up or pausing every 3 seconds, ect.

Anyways, if you want access, just throw me a PM and I will send you one back with the info.

But Hulu.com is not good captioning like subtitles that it cannot move freely
anywhere on the screen.

I did go to hulu.com last night. It's not bad. Why you think it's not good? How come?

I like the website however not every show is closed captioned, sucks.

Hulu.com doesn't work in Australia :(

I should move to the States LOL

This won't help anyone outside of the US, but NBC.com has CC available. I tried it on several shows and it works.It is hard to adjust to, as the CC box is to the right of the video, but at least it is there..and that is a start.

the feature on Hulu.com is not really a cc because it is not encoded into the video.. . it only put overlay on front of video with subtitle.

The reason I say that is because when you click "cc" button, you will see response "Loading Subtitle" eh....

as for NBC.com that CC feature is not really a true CC both Hulu and NBC use Flash... so not encoded.. I call them subtitled.

as for NBC.com that CC feature is not really a true CC both Hulu and NBC use Flash... so not encoded.. I call them subtitled.

Well, CC is defined that have audio description in background included since subtitle isn't, however Hulu and NBC does have audio description included, that more likely CC or SDH.

It could be rather to be more SDH than CC.

I used Hulu on my lappy and it's smooth going. I just found out that the 800 mhz system had somewhat corrupted Windows XP in it causing everything else going slow. I just reformat and reinstall XP. Now Hulu is running smooth. But with the "naked" 600 mhz system running on Mepis Linux 7.0 that I had in my workbench with crappy 32mb graphic card works but little choppy. When I clicked "CC", I noticed the video became a little more choppy. I don't have 128mb graphic card or more tho. I would love to watch tv show on my workbench. My laptop ran smoothly even with CC on Hulu.

Catty

I used Hulu on my lappy and it's smooth going. I just found out that the 800 mhz system had somewhat corrupted Windows XP in it causing everything else going slow. I just reformat and reinstall XP. Now Hulu is running smooth. But with the "naked" 600 mhz system running on Mepis Linux 7.0 that I had in my workbench with crappy 32mb graphic card works but little choppy. When I clicked "CC", I noticed the video became a little more choppy. I don't have 128mb graphic card or more tho. I would love to watch tv show on my workbench. My laptop ran smoothly even with CC on Hulu.

Catty

Easily and cheap, get MacBook or PC laptop with Core 2 Duo.

GMA X3100 will work fine.

Easily and cheap, get MacBook or PC laptop with Core 2 Duo.

GMA X3100 will work fine.

Remind you that the old mobo I have do not have PCI-E, Just AGP 2x slot. My laptop ran great with Hulu so not neccessary buying another lappy :lol:

On other thread "motherboard and processor", two of my systems are down and out. both had dead mobo. AMD64 Venice core processor works fine and I'm going to buy 939 mobo w/ PCI-E slot so I can buy fast graphic card. It would be Ubuntu again! Maybe dualbooting with XP or using Virtual Machine inside Ubuntu to run XP :rofl: for my kids to play games runs on XP

I probably would look for good used graphic card to work with old 600mhz and 800mhz mobo to run Hulu smoothly. Like Nvidia 4200 or 5200 if it have backward compatible with 2x Agp port.

Catty

Back