Are Interpreters This Rare?

Grayma

Reaction score
I like to be private online, because we've been avoiding a family connection who is a stalker, so forgive me for not naming names.

We live near a large town where this is a prestigious state university with a sign language program of some sort, and a community college.

My oldest daughter worked at the Community College as a note-taker for students who needed somebody to take notes. One of her clients was deaf, and had an interpreter as well. The interpreter came from another town 50 miles away. She told my daughter there are no interpreters in this town.

I guess it's possible there is not much of a deaf population here, I don't know. There is a state school for the deaf in that other town 50 miles away.

Interpreters basically travel for a living. It is not uncommon to have an interpreter come from another state for a full time job. It could be that where they live, there are hardly any deaf people.

There is a girl I know who lives in Pennsylvania and commutes to northern Virginia everyday for her job. That is far more than 50 miles.

I know this is off-topic, but it reminds me of something I find annoying. Despite living less than an hour's drive away from Gallaudet, various social services (police, fire, ambulance, etc.) seem very unaware of deaf people.

Yeah, and our taxes pay your salaries. I want my money back.

I know that I had a very hard time finding an ASL tutor. She also drives from an hour away. But, we have to pay her travel time. Second appointment she cancelled. I really need someone local who can spend more time with me. It is good extra money for someone who knows how to teach ASL.

I know that I had a very hard time finding an ASL tutor. She also drives from an hour away. But, we have to pay her travel time. Second appointment she cancelled. I really need someone local who can spend more time with me. It is good extra money for someone who knows how to teach ASL.

Do you have either a video phone or a high-speed, hi-res web cam? Perhaps you could find someone to help you via video phone/web cam, if there is no one local.

ASL Tutor

Do you have either a video phone or a high-speed, hi-res web cam? Perhaps you could find someone to help you via video phone/web cam, if there is no one local.

No I donn't have that option. I placed an ad with the local deaf social event. Also with the local ASL teacher at the community college. Still waiting...l

Interpreters want to work, but they don't necessarily want to have to drive all over creation to get it, so they tend to live where the most Deaf people are. If you live in a smaller town where there are fewer Deaf and, therefore, less regular work for an interpreter then you'll most likely have to hire an interpreter from the nearest large city, wherever that happens to be.

Interpreters want to work, but they don't necessarily want to have to drive all over creation to get it, so they tend to live where the most Deaf people are. If you live in a smaller town where there are fewer Deaf and, therefore, less regular work for an interpreter then you'll most likely have to hire an interpreter from the nearest large city, wherever that happens to be.

That all makes sense, supply and demand and all. I was just surprised because the city isn't what I think of as that small (but I am a hick, so what do I know?), and because it has a huge university with sign, audiology, speech therapy courses and degree programs.
I had a chance to ask my (deaf) friend, and she said there aren't that many deaf around here, they mostly stayed in the larger city south, where the state school for the deaf is located.

Grayma, I'm curious, what state do you live in? I know some states, like Wyoming, have very very few interpreters. Other states, like New York, have a LOT of interpreters. So it depends where you live, really. You don't have to tell me your town, but I am curious about the state.

ASL Tutor

This is Diana I'm a sign language tutor and have been using ASL all my life. If you are interested, you may email me at datmeade@gmail.com or text at 732 604 1025 for more details.
QUOTE=Grayma;2008304]I like to be private online, because we've been avoiding a family connection who is a stalker, so forgive me for not naming names.

We live near a large town where this is a prestigious state university with a sign language program of some sort, and a community college.

My oldest daughter worked at the Community College as a note-taker for students who needed somebody to take notes. One of her clients was deaf, and had an interpreter as well. The interpreter came from another town 50 miles away. She told my daughter there are no interpreters in this town.

I guess it's possible there is not much of a deaf population here, I don't know. There is a state school for the deaf in that other town 50 miles away.[/QUOTE]

Asl

Hi

I am a sign language tutor and can tutor on line or in person . I have been using ASL all my life and tutoring for a long time. If you are interested, you
may email me at datmeade@gmail.com or text at 732 604 1025 for more details. Hope to hear from you soon. Diana

Back