Are deaf kids bullied/harrassed more frequently than hearing kids in mainstream?

Not a real education? I thought deaf people are people and deaf kids do interact with each other and they are all people.

I was mainstreamed and I never learned how to engage in debates, did group work or any of that because I was LEFT OUT in those groups so all I did was sit there and pretended to go along with whatever the groups did. I learned nothing.

Pls tell me that I got a "real" education. :roll:

You didn't get a good enough education(which is the same for the rest of us) is what I believe you have been saying.

Even being left out, you still have experienced life with hearing people. Because of that, you have more education than someone who does not.

You may not have liked it. I know I certainly didn't and can relate, but I understand the benefit of it.

You didn't get a good enough education(which is the same for the rest of us) is what I believe you have been saying.

Even being left out, you still have experienced life with hearing people. Because of that, you have more education than someone who does not.

You may not have liked it. I know I certainly didn't and can relate, but I understand the benefit of it.

I see my brother who went to the Deaf school....I raise you a huge bet that I know I will win for sure.

Correct. You are not. This goes back to my posts months ago about militants giving the whole group a black eye.

I am correct that I am so thrilled that I don't associate with audists in real life anymore. I used to when I was in the hearing world full time...ugh. gives me the goose bumps just thinking about the old days of agreeing with people about English being superior to ASL and hearing people or deaf people with speech skills being better than those who have no speech skills. So damn glad I don't believe in that shit anymore.

Oh yea and today I am still seeing the same thing that happened decades ago with several kids. Cheers.

You have misunderstood. His comment was on college programs today and their teaching methods.

I am correct that I am so thrilled that I don't associate with audists in real life anymore. I used to when I was in the hearing world full time...ugh. gives me the goose bumps just thinking about the old days of agreeing with people about English being superior to ASL and hearing people or deaf people with speech skills being better than those who have no speech skills. So damn glad I don't believe in that shit anymore.

Great! We should all live a life that makes us happy. :)

I hope your brother is doing well.

He is marrying this wonderful woman this summer and they bought a huge house in Annapolis last year with all the whistles and bells. Next, they will start a family....I say that his life is going quite well.

Yep, they both have successful careers.

In say that he is doing much better than I am even though I am doing well myself as well.

Great! We should all live a life that makes us happy. :)

Oh yes but I still fight for deaf children's rights to full access to language and education just like hearing children have. They deserve the same and cochlear implants are not showing me that they can measure up to the same access as hearing kids do. Only ASL can do that. I guess it is because these children are deaf, not hearing despite how much people keep forgetting with so much focus on how much of a "miracle" CIs are. The oppressive views of society still continue to negatively impact several deaf children's lives.

Oh yes but I still fight for deaf children's rights to full access to language and education just like hearing children have. They deserve the same and cochlear implants are not showing me that they can measure up to the same access as hearing kids do. Only ASL can do that. I guess it is because these children are deaf, not hearing despite how much people keep forgetting with so much focus on how much of a "miracle" CIs are. The oppressive views of society still continue to negatively impact several deaf children's lives.

Ah, here we disagree it appears. I would prefer each child be treated as an individual and that each have their needs assessed on a case by case basis.

What is your educational background? You really seem to attack people on the board that don't agree with you...perhaps jealous because you missed out on things? Where do you get off assuming what I know or don't know. You spend half your time on the forum reminding people of your sexuality and comparing deafness to gay sex. Yes, I do have better opportunities having been mainstreamed and I'm delighted my parents had nothing to do with the deaf community since it spared them from people like you that had nothing nice to say to anyone that didn't rise to your standards.

Lau, FYI my experiance was the exact same thing.I was trapped in that hellhole of special education too, even thou I tested as gifted in some areas! .I'm not doing what you think I'm doing....I understand. You have such a poor sense of self esteem that you think other people are lording over you ..You mean to say that you had a better experiance being educated with kids who were in special ed b/c it was a dumping ground/b/c they were mentally handicapped?!?!?!?Did you know there were actually GOOD Deaf Schools where you would have gotten a GOOD education? Clarke was good (and you would have learned to talk b/c when you were in the system, most of Deaf ed was ORAL) I mean I'm surprised and astonished and saddened that your school district didn't send you to CASE, at least (the local ORAL dhh collbrative which recently closed sadly) I find it horrifying that dhh kids are placed in special ed in the mainstream.....b/c mainstream sped is set up for mentally disabled and learning and behavorial disabilties......Not low incidence disabilties like dhh or blind/low vision.
I also think that you may not have experiance in reconizing intersectionality with other minority groups. I never compared the Deaf experiance with gay sex?!!? I said that the Deaf experiance is very simlair to what the GLB community experiances. Heck, my friend who is the type of radical feminist/into gay studies type that you'd find in Noho, discussing hetronormatiy got the intersectionality between GLB and Deaf.

You may get a better, "deaf" education at a deaf school, but it's not a real education unless interact with the people you are going to have to deal with for the rest of your life. You can't take college classes today without group projects for a very good reason, human interaction.

So, while academically you may get a better education(and I do not dispute this at all), socially you don't get a feel for what the real world is going to throw at you. And, you cant understand what hearing people go through with no special care at all or why they don't like people treated specially.

WHAT?!?!?!?! You're acting like kids who attend Deaf Schools are locked away from interacting with hearing people?!?!? Many of them, if not most of them understand and interact with hearing people ALL THE TIME!!!!!! It's just that it's EASIER to connect with Dhh people! Besides mainstreamed and oral kids ALSO don't learn how to interact with hearing people except on a very superfical level....The hearing kids don't really give a crap about them!

Correct. You are not. This goes back to my posts months ago about militants giving the whole group a black eye.

FYI, I'm not a militant b/c I am horrified that Dhh kids get lumped in with sped kids in the mainstream. Yes, there are some minimal accomondation kids who thrive in the mainstream, but most Dhh kids who are mainstreamed get lumped in with sped kids. Don't you remember the reputation of sped, from when you were in the system? Nuff said!

Ah, here we disagree it appears. I would prefer each child be treated as an individual and that each have their needs assessed on a case by case basis.

have you ever seen what happens at a Deaf School? They get access to a FULL toolbox of options. They get to learn content through ASL, speech therapy, literacy etc. Despite what some people think it's not some glorious ALL ASL all the time, Deaf utopia. Their entire needs are addressed on a *gasp* case by case basis. Just b/c a kid can hear and talk relatively well, it doesn't mean that learning ASL wouldn't be helpful. Isn't it better to be able to be bilingal, and to function both WITH and WITHOUT hearing aids/CIs?

In a rose colored world, maybe. In this world, that doesn't happen until the child starts falling behind.

Besides mainstreamed and oral kids ALSO don't learn how to interact with hearing people except on a very superfical level....The hearing kids don't really give a crap about them!

If that is what you need to learn to get along in your future job, it's well worth learning. Nobody works in a vacuum, we all have to deal with other people.

There is nothing wrong with Lau's self esteem, she gets up everyday and works, and not because she has to. There are a lot of people hearing and deaf of which I cannot say the same.

In a rose colored world, maybe. In this world, that doesn't happen until the child starts falling behind.

Ah, so lump them together and give them a one size fits all "solution".... Perfect.

have you ever seen what happens at a Deaf School? They get access to a FULL toolbox of options. They get to learn content through ASL, speech therapy, literacy etc. Despite what some people think it's not some glorious ALL ASL all the time, Deaf utopia. Their entire needs are addressed on a *gasp* case by case basis. Just b/c a kid can hear and talk relatively well, it doesn't mean that learning ASL wouldn't be helpful. Isn't it better to be able to be bilingal, and to function both WITH and WITHOUT hearing aids/CIs?

One can learn ASL without going to a deaf school.

Back