Apple tv

Hey man, don't start personal attack and it was unnecessary.

My post isn't exclusively about Apple TV, so I'm talking about media center and use PC as entertainment that already have 4K support. It is possible for Apple to add 4K support when they update the Apple TV. The technology continues to evolving and 4K will eventually spread over the market.

I gave other reason about why some people need 400 mbps to transfer the file wirelessly between two computers - not related to Apple TV.

If Chevy57 wants to get wireless router with AC support, so it is up to him and it is good investment for future use. It isn't useless networking device, thorough.

It was not about personal attack. You came at wrong topic. This topic was about Apple tv and you talked about media center , transfer files, blah and still USELESS for Apple TV.

At my point, Currently, no video streaming requires anything close to 100 Mbps and you don't care about requirement? Then that's your problem since you don't care about FACT and make up the story about technology.

No point to talk about UHD because it is not exist for Netflix, directv, DISH, etc FOR NOW.

No point to talk about transfer files because it not exactly same as streaming.

I don't think Apple TV will made transfer files because Apple tv's storage was too tiny for that.

It was bad suggest him to buy AC Wifi NOW because it's overprice and 4K is not ready for now. Most Wifi routers last around 2-3 years then died. So better way to keeps his router till died in 2-3 years then buy AC wifi when it become cheap like $100 and 4K ready. Also UHD TV cost around $8k for 55". I don't think he would afford it till 2-5 years later when UHD get drop price in future.

I mostly used Beamer to watch movie steaming via AirPlay. No lag. VLC's video streaming still be lagging.

VLC? Let me guess you use AVI format? You should converter all Avi format to MP4 formart. Then try again with beamer and let me know how it going on. The Avi format is very outdated and very large file which not great for streaming. That's why Apple don't like outdated format files as .BMP and .Avi.

yes, I have dual-band AirPort extreme. but 5 GHz is much slower than 2.4 GHz. switched to 2.4 GHz Video lag problem apparently was solved too.

If next gen Apple TV supports 802.11ac Wi-Fi, I may buy new dual-band AirPort extreme which features simultaneous dual-band 802.11ac Wi‑Fi. That means it transmits at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time.

5Ghz is maximum data rate of 54 Mbps and 2.5Ghz is around 150Mbps.

I don't need to converter format. Any format for Beamer. No problem with it. So use VLC to watch movie download steaming on my MacBook Pro without Apple TV. That working fine.
VLC? Let me guess you use AVI format? You should converter all Avi format to MP4 formart. Then try again with beamer and let me know how it going on. The Avi format is very outdated and very large file which not great for streaming. That's why Apple don't like outdated format files as .BMP and .Avi.

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I mostly used Beamer to watch movie steaming via AirPlay. No lag. VLC's video streaming still be lagging.

I don't need to converter format. Any format for Beamer. No problem with it. So use VLC to watch movie download steaming on my MacBook Pro without Apple TV. That working fine.

I talked about converter format to MP4 to made streaming running smooth for Apple TV since you complained about VLC streaming got lag. That's why youtube use mp4 over avi or other format. MP4 is BEST one for streaming.

It was not about personal attack. You came at wrong topic. This topic was about Apple tv and you talked about media center , transfer files, blah and still USELESS for Apple TV.

At my point, Currently, no video streaming requires anything close to 100 Mbps and you don't care about requirement? Then that's your problem since you don't care about FACT and make up the story about technology.

No point to talk about UHD because it is not exist for Netflix, directv, DISH, etc FOR NOW.

No point to talk about transfer files because it not exactly same as streaming.

I don't think Apple TV will made transfer files because Apple tv's storage was too tiny for that.

It was bad suggest him to buy AC Wifi NOW because it's overprice and 4K is not ready for now. Most Wifi routers last around 2-3 years then died. So better way to keeps his router till died in 2-3 years then buy AC wifi when it become cheap like $100 and 4K ready. Also UHD TV cost around $8k for 55". I don't think he would afford it till 2-5 years later when UHD get drop price in future.

The wireless AC won't on market if it was useless and it doesn't make any sense. It may useless for Apple TV, but it is useful for other purpose, especially transfer files between 2 Mac or 2 computers, or video streaming between 2 computers with internal networking. There are some customers have ISP that offer more than 100 mbps, especially Google Fiber and Verizon FiOS.

The requirement doesn't matter if you have better equipment that beyond the requirement and having more faster speed gives a better experience.

My post doesn't say about file transfer on Apple TV but when I discuss about file transfer so it is obviously from 2 computers, not streaming device. I know Apple will add wireless AC support to next Apple TV like they did to Mac and Airport Extreme.

Netflix already support 4K streaming for limited selection of movies and TV.
Netflix app to stream 4K on new TVs immediately - NBC News.com

My old router lasted for 5 years. One reason that I would buy router with wireless AC is faster file transfer wirelessly and I have more than one computer that transfer frequently.

I'm sure that Chevy use router for other purposes, not just for Apple TV only.

Wirelessly posted

The Highlander said:

I talked about converter format to MP4 to made streaming running smooth for Apple TV since you complained about VLC streaming got lag. That's why youtube use mp4 over avi or other format. MP4 is BEST one for streaming.

Ok but live streaming from nbc sport was lag at very little on Apple TV via airplay mirroring.

yes, I have dual-band AirPort extreme. but 5 GHz is much slower than 2.4 GHz. switched to 2.4 GHz Video lag problem apparently was solved too.

If next gen Apple TV supports 802.11ac Wi-Fi, I may buy new dual-band AirPort extreme which features simultaneous dual-band 802.11ac Wi‑Fi. That means it transmits at both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time.

I forgot to mention - 802.11ac support 5 GHz only.

Yes, all of my movie files are MP4.

The wireless AC won't on market if it was useless and it doesn't make any sense. It may useless for Apple TV, but it is useful for other purpose, especially transfer files between 2 Mac or 2 computers, or video streaming between 2 computers with internal networking. There are some customers have ISP that offer more than 100 mbps, especially Google Fiber and Verizon FiOS.

The requirement doesn't matter if you have better equipment that beyond the requirement and having more faster speed gives a better experience.

My post doesn't say about file transfer on Apple TV but when I discuss about file transfer so it is obviously from 2 computers, not streaming device. I know Apple will add wireless AC support to next Apple TV like they did to Mac and Airport Extreme.

Netflix already support 4K streaming for limited selection of movies and TV.
Netflix app to stream 4K on new TVs immediately - NBC News.com

My old router lasted for 5 years. One reason that I would buy router with wireless AC is faster file transfer wirelessly and I have more than one computer that transfer frequently.

I'm sure that Chevy use router for other purposes, not just for Apple TV only.

Quick question. Can you buy 4K TV right now? Yes or No?

I never said AC is useless for transfer files because you plan to buy it. Again, I said AC is useless for streaming.

Too many of my friends/customers/myself's router last around 2-4 years depend how heavy traffic and number of networks you use.

Like router for around three wireless networks then router should last around 4 years. 10 wireless networks then router would last for 2-3 years. It's all depends BUT LAN only, it last over 10 years.

What brand of software for mac? handbrake.fr? or others?

No

No

RESEARCH again before you said.

Do you have source to support your claim about 5 GHz 802.11n support 54 mbps?

I spent a lot of research and couldn't find anything to support your claim, even it wasn't in networking course that where I took at school.

802.11n can operate on either the 5 GHz frequency at a theoretical maximum speed of 300 Mbps or on the 2.4 GHz frequency in "mixed mode" which will support systems only capable of using 802.11b or 802.11g, but it will slow the entire network down to the maximum speed of the earliest standard connected.

https://www.everymac.com/systems/ap...-between-802.11n-802.11a-802.11b-802.11g.html

802.11n - 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz) - 150Mbps typical for network adapters, 300Mbps, 450Mbps, and 600Mbps speeds when bonding channels with some routers

What is the actual real-life speed of wireless networks ? :: SG FAQ

Each 802.11n stream provides a maximum signaling rate of 150 Mbps (compared to the 802.11g single stream of 54 Mbps).

There is speed chart in link

http://www.lmi.net/wp-content/uploads/Optimizing_802.11n.pdf

There is no mention about 54 mbps max on 802.11n 5 GHz.

The GHz range of a wireless radio is only partially related to the speed of a wireless network. For example, 802.11a wireless operates at 5GHz and 802.11g at 2.4GHz, but both support the same maximum data rate of 54 Mbps. However, newer 802.11n routers have the capability of simultaneous dual-band operation on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz ranges, allowing clients to connect on different bands for more flexibility and less interference. 802.11ac expands on that, running entirely in the 5GHz band.

Advantages of 5GHz:
The 5GHz band is less likely to be congested. The 2.4GHz frequency range is much more prone to interference, as it is commonly used by other wireless networks in the area, as well as cordless phones, garage door openers and other home appliances and consumer products. The 5GHz band can also offer much higher throughput (using the right technology) with the same channel width.

Disadvantages of 5GHz:
In general, the higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Thus, 2.4GHz networks cover a substantially larger range than 5GHz wireless networks. In particular, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as 2.4GHz signals, limiting their reach inside homes. Recent 802.11ac devices may be able to mitigate some of this disatvantage by using beamforming.

The Bottom Line:
5GHz and 2.4GHz are simply different frequencies, each with its advantages and disadvantages. To get the best of both worlds, some recent routers have the capability for dual-band operation in both ranges simultaneously. 5GHz offers higher throughput at a shorter distance, while 2.4GHz offers increased coverage and higher solid object penetration.

Note: When choosing the band for your router, it is also important to consider the capabilities of your wireless clients. Most current laptops and other mobile wireless devices work in the 2.4GHz band, while media streaming devices have increasingly better adoption in the 5GHz band. The migration to wider adoption of 5GHz will probably continue with the shift to the higher throughput 802.11ac.

Is 5GHz Wireless better than 2.4GHz ? :: SG FAQ

Quick question. Can you buy 4K TV right now? Yes or No?

I never said AC is useless for transfer files because you plan to buy it. Again, I said AC is useless for streaming.

Too many of my friends/customers/myself's router last around 2-4 years depend how heavy traffic and number of networks you use.

Like router for around three wireless networks then router should last around 4 years. 10 wireless networks then router would last for 2-3 years. It's all depends BUT LAN only, it last over 10 years.

No, but I will not surprise if my family gets 4K HDTV for living room.

Ok, Chevy may need AC for other reasons, not just Apple TV only. It is his call, not me.

Do you have source to support your claim about 5 GHz 802.11n support 54 mbps?

I spent a lot of research and couldn't find anything to support your claim, even it wasn't in networking course that where I took at school.

https://www.everymac.com/systems/ap...-between-802.11n-802.11a-802.11b-802.11g.html

What is the actual real-life speed of wireless networks ? :: SG FAQ

http://www.lmi.net/wp-content/uploads/Optimizing_802.11n.pdf

There is no mention about 54 mbps max on 802.11n 5 GHz.

Is 5GHz Wireless better than 2.4GHz ? :: SG FAQ

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:
802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
802.11ac - 70-100 Mbps

:)

Like Chevy said.

Originally Posted by Chevy57 View Post

I just explained to him.

Some reason I saw something.I guess I was tired and wrong number then. You was right.

Next-gen Apple TV may include built-in TV tuner. not needing Cable TV converter. Apple might also include an integrated 802.11ac wireless router in the next-gen Apple TV. This will make the streaming experience more stable for the Apple TV, as there is be no need to connect to another wireless router. Also include bluetooth interface for gaming and iDevices. I think that video streaming reduce lag and freezing in using AirPlay mirroring. May cost more than current Apple TV.

No, but I will not surprise if my family gets 4K HDTV for living room.

Ok, Chevy may need AC for other reasons, not just Apple TV only. It is his call, not me.

Re-read what he said. He want wireless AC because of streaming more stable for the Apple TV. Do you agreed with that?

Back