anyone use PalmOne Treo650?

A

apathrev

For awhile I had been thinking about getting a T-Mobile Sidekick II instead of the run of the mill Motorola cell phone I have now. I use my phone for more internet, IMing, text messaging purposes, rather than talking on it. But then the PalmOne Treo caught my eye. I was curious if anyone is using this, and how you like it?

Used a Sprint model one here. Terrific device all around -- web, voice, email, and camera. IM is a separate download and can be found for free, but AOL doesn't give it away. Superb device, would use again ++. Moved on to a Blackberry and haven't looked back (fits my personality better).

Do you like the features better on the Blackberry? I'm primarily concerned with internet quality. From what I saw on the Treo, it is high quality, real deal internet, and shows the web page as is. Not like very limited mobile phone version.

I almost hate to ask but what are the prices of things like that? Id love to trade in my cell phone (plan is finally almost up) but Im not looking forward to finding out how much they cost....maybe it will be better than I thought....

:fingersx:

You might want to uncross your fingers. The Treo650 is 399. I saw it for like 313 or 319 on some website, but I'm not sure about service provider or anything.

You might want to check out the Blackberry 7290 on Fusewireless.com. The price isn't shown until u "buy now" and u can see the price but not pay for it yet. It is $149 for the device. IT has web, e-mail, IM and all that with the same T-mobile data plan as the sidekick does. I personally do not like the keyboard, Treo 600/650 is the same tiny keyboard. The sidekick keyboard is easier to type with my big hands. :P

The website said I'm not authorized to view it. Do you know a site I can take a look at it on? I do have to admit, the Sidekick II looks alot more comfortable than the Treo for typing. How is the internet though? I mean, on the Treo, it was flawless, shown it exactly as it would be on the computer, not to mention, camera, gig hard drive, mp3 capabilites, and Windows emulator.

cental34 said:
Do you like the features better on the Blackberry? I'm primarily concerned with internet quality. From what I saw on the Treo, it is high quality, real deal internet, and shows the web page as is. Not like very limited mobile phone version.

For the kind of work I do, the Blackberry was overall a better fit. The keyboard is bigger, the cradle allowed me to feel paging better, a slightly bigger screen, and I can do over the air syncs for my calendar, task list, contacts, and notes.

However, yes, the tradeoff was:
1) I lost a great quality screen (the BB 7750 isn't as bright or sharp as the T650 but it gets the job done)
2) I lost SD card space (you can expand the T650's storage by buying little flash memory cards with 1GB of space and filling them with files and even programs -- I've seen T650s used as MP3 players, while the BB 7750 is limited to 14MB of space)
3) No camera

Both do internet well
Both do IM, though right now neither of them "includes" a program that does the IM -- you have to purchase it, if I recall correcly. One time purchase, no big deal
Both do email and paging, though the Blackberry does it better, in my opinion.
Both can do calendar and task lists
T650 has more games and entertainment options available for cheap/free

It looks like the Treo is more the one for me. The expandable memory is a really big bonus.

Treo can do email just as well as blackberry

Dennis said:
For the kind of work I do, the Blackberry was overall a better fit. The keyboard is bigger, the cradle allowed me to feel paging better, a slightly bigger screen, and I can do over the air syncs for my calendar, task list, contacts, and notes.

However, yes, the tradeoff was:
1) I lost a great quality screen (the BB 7750 isn't as bright or sharp as the T650 but it gets the job done)
2) I lost SD card space (you can expand the T650's storage by buying little flash memory cards with 1GB of space and filling them with files and even programs -- I've seen T650s used as MP3 players, while the BB 7750 is limited to 14MB of space)
3) No camera

Both do internet well
Both do IM, though right now neither of them "includes" a program that does the IM -- you have to purchase it, if I recall correcly. One time purchase, no big deal
Both do email and paging, though the Blackberry does it better, in my opinion.
Both can do calendar and task lists
T650 has more games and entertainment options available for cheap/free

Actually, the TREO 650 can do email as well as the blackberry especially that some softwares does the "push" email function that only Blackberries seem to have. I use a program called Chattermail and my emails comes instantly. With the blackberry and sidekick you don't really have much flexibility in chosing software to install on your device as with TREO. Since the TREO is Palm OS based, there are over tens of thousands software applications to download from and more being created weekly.

B

I agree that the Treo can do email -- I just disagree it does it as well as the Blackberry does it. I have several co-workers who are computer illiterate and were intimidated by the Treos -- if something wasn't done exactly correct, they wouldn't receive their emails anymore. We used Chattermail, Snappermail, and various others, but it just wasn't reliable to get PUSH emails in a battery conservative way. Either the battery runs out in 4 to 6 hours, or you don't get your messages when you need them.

Push email on the Blackberry still allows me to run 2 to 3 days without recharging, while being a NO-BRAINER and no set up. Tremendous advantage for me, a support person for my organization.

right now verizon's selling that for 249 :) gonna wait til next month as thier gonna have a MAJOR back to school sale which i ll get for 149 and trade in my SK or keep the SK and give that to my partner until we get the sk2

cental34 said:
The website said I'm not authorized to view it. Do you know a site I can take a look at it on? I do have to admit, the Sidekick II looks alot more comfortable than the Treo for typing. How is the internet though? I mean, on the Treo, it was flawless, shown it exactly as it would be on the computer, not to mention, camera, gig hard drive, mp3 capabilites, and Windows emulator.

try this. www.fusewireless.com :)

Treo 650 under Cingular that use EDGE. It's three time faster than SidekickII under T-Mobile that use GPRS. Plus, great coverage... sadly, it cost more. $50 total with basic (voice) minutes plan ($29.99) and unlimited data ($19.99).

Great advantage, you would use Treo 650's bluetooth to make as wireless modem to your laptop while on travel. Really awesome.

Did you know? It's no longer PalmOne anymore. Now, it's come back as Palm, Inc. once again.

Awesome deal. I'm pretty sold on the Treo650. Just going to take a couple of paychecks for me to get it.

Not that I would have use for them (except trying to drop calls to myself at work :D ) but can anyone tell me if the Treo comes loaded with any relay programs, like the Sidekick comes with Sprint Relay and IP Relay?

Negative -- no relay programs for the Treo exist as of yet. Just IM Relay by using a IM program on the Treo.

Dennis said:
Negative -- no relay programs for the Treo exist as of yet. Just IM Relay by using a IM program on the Treo.
I could install terminal and use under MCI's ip-relay. Thank to Mark's thread.

Dennis said:
I agree that the Treo can do email -- I just disagree it does it as well as the Blackberry does it. I have several co-workers who are computer illiterate and were intimidated by the Treos -- if something wasn't done exactly correct, they wouldn't receive their emails anymore. We used Chattermail, Snappermail, and various others, but it just wasn't reliable to get PUSH emails in a battery conservative way. Either the battery runs out in 4 to 6 hours, or you don't get your messages when you need them.

Push email on the Blackberry still allows me to run 2 to 3 days without recharging, while being a NO-BRAINER and no set up. Tremendous advantage for me, a support person for my organization.

My TREO 650 does not run out of battery in 4 to 6 hours using chattermail. On a day of very busy email usage, battery runs down to as low as 30% which isn't much different than the sidekicks. Granted, the blackberry may have better battery life, but I'm used to charging the Treo every night so it's not a problem for me. Yes, the TREO can be somewhat frustrating to those who are technology illiterate -- so those people should stick to the sidekick or blackberry.

Ben

EDGE said:
I could install terminal and use under MCI's ip-relay. Thank to Mark's thread.

Yes, that would work. I forgot about that method of using relays. Where is that thread so I could try it on my TREO?

Bem

See, the odd thing is, when I set up those terminal programs for my Treo 600 phones to test them for the team, they didn't work. Maybe something was messed up, but it wasn't getting anywhere for me. I tried VT-100, some SSH emulators, and various other terminal programs and got nowhere with connecting to the servers for relay. Dunno why, nearly every other internet program we used worked fine.

Back