Anyone here had a Brain Stem Implant?

OP stated she has NF2. Acoustic neuroma is caused by NF2, and the ABI is specifically for this.

Also neurosurgeons really do caution NF2 patients about the risks and limited benefits of the ABI.

My husband's cousin is a sufferer of acoustic neuromas.

Doesn't necessarily mean she had them on both sides, which is why I asked, the acoustic neuroma was more stating the obvious for clarification, that's what a tumor on the auditory nerve is, than asking. I once massaged a woman that had had one on her left side only, it caused facial paralysis as well.

How many times have we seen people with one sided deafness on here asking about hearing aids for that ear? It never bothered me much, but some people it does......

Doesn't necessarily mean she had them on both sides, which is why I asked, the acoustic neuroma was more stating the obvious for clarification, that's what a tumor on the auditory nerve is, than asking.

How many times have we seen people with one sided deafness on here asking about hearing aids for that ear? It never bothered me much, but some people it does......

No she clearly stated the second side is going in the next surgery in the OP

My good ear is profound, and has been for maybe 2 1/2-3 years, but I still get enough speech to understand 30-40% of what's said. My left, my bad one is profound to response and had been for probably more like 8ish years. It went totally unaided for 6 years, the Audi I had when I need to get powerful aids didn't recommend I get one for that ear, that I wouldn't get much speech and the vibrations from the sound waves hitting that ear drum would make me dizzy. When I got my next more powerful has last summer I got one for it, but I don't use it much, I don't get speech out of it and it does tickle inside my head. It's just noise and it's distracting. Anyway, since it's been without sound for close to a decade I'm afraid the nerve on that side might not have been stimulated enough and I wouldn't get results as good as the other side.

Personally I'd rather do the worse side since I do mostly manage with my better, I can't call it good that's so silly, but if I am going to do this I'd like to stack the deck in my favor. Long story short they're both bad, one is just slightly better than the other, and one's been without sound for a long time, it could end up like someone that's been deaf all their life and getting implanting as an adult. If I did the worse ear it could up not worth it :)

that's my situation NOW

it's pointless, BUT with one difference I born deaf, and used HA all my life since 18 months old

Back