anybody who can hear, how do u explain this?

SpiceHD

Reaction score
I often ask people what sound is like... I only can idetify sounds to what i feel but i cant feel birds singing, i cant feel most of things that are out of range and im always curious what they are. My mom used to try and show me with visual or with feeling only cuz she was unable to explain waht they are like. So... im curious of your version of explaination of those few examples (mind u.. i do have cochlear implant and can hear pretty normal but i hear differently than what hearing people hear)

What do those sound like?

Bird singing:

in a crowded bar:

a jet flying above ya:

kids' laughter:

lightning/thunder:

waterfall:

doorbell:

riding on harley davidson.. what do u hear?:

feel free to add anything that i havent thought up of. i am just curious and i realize it might be tough to explain but i also realize theres so many different explainations and thats what im curious the most about.

Bird singing: when you wake up in the morning and feel the sun shining down on your face, then your mom comes in talkign to you and completly ruines the moment. that is what a bird does. however; that is depending on the type of bird as some are nice to listen to while others are just annoying.

in a crowded bar: a lot of mumbeling. arg erggg ermm... erggg type of thing. eveyrthing is just, bla bla bla bla bla

a jet flying above ya:the way the wind feels from the top of a tall building. the wind is flowing past you as your hair wipps trough the wind smaking your face.

kids' laughter:the way the water of a warm shower feels after you've been outside in the cold snow. its conforting.

lightning/thunder:the feeling of your phone suddenly vibrating inside your pants pocket.

waterfall:

doorbell:

riding on harley davidson:

I cant think of anything for the last two. I will get back to you. sorry if thoes wernt too good. i tryed :)

Bird singing: When the spring time starts to blossom after a long end of winter, the sun makes bird happy to sing as high as the top of the tree. Bird chirps very high pitch sound like whistle singing.

in a crowded bar: Noise glasses clinging, liquid air pressure pouring in glass, people mumble all kinds of bkgrd talking, laughing loudly, and music. From place to place all over footsteps everywhere walking back n' forth same path.

lol see theres two different versions about bird singing... i want more of that... thank you je_suis_chic and lavender... its really interesting! I alway have wondered about what u hear while riding on a motorcycle.. :-P

Spice.....You know, I never thought about explaining sound too much. I'm at a loss for words in how to explain sounds. Reba pointed out in another thread that its like explaining color to a blind person. I can explain how they make me feel though:

Bird singing: Gives me a feeling of warmth and warm weather. I hate wintertime and cold weather, so when I hear birds chirping (especially this time of year), its the sound of good things to come.

in a crowded bar: Don't have much of an opinion here. I sometimes hate crowded bars and other times I like it loud. Depends, I guess, on what type of mood I'm in.

a jet flying above ya: I love flying so anything flying overhead gets my attention....lets me think of being up there while my feet are planted down here.

kids' laughter: Reminds me of innocence and a carefree world. I can be in a terrible mood, and kids laughter (especially my nieces) will always bring a smile to my face. I also think sometimes of how nice it would be to go back to that time in my life and the responsibilities (or lack of them) we had back then. I had to keep track of my Tonka Trucks...now its go to work, pay bills..........(you get the idea).

lightning/thunder: I love a good thunderstorm when its passing through. Lightning is a sight I love to see, and with lightning comes thunder. As with birds chirping, its also a sign of summertime and warm weather. If I'm not super busy, I will take time out to sit on the porch to watch a good thunderstorm (although they say this isn't safe LOL).

waterfall: relaxing to me....reminds me of a quiet place where nobody is around.

doorbell: Makes me think of who is on the other side....Friend or Foe...usually its just the UPS guy.

riding on harley davidson: Sense of freedom. I've ridden a lot of bikes in my time and nothing beats the sound of a Harley....and they are distinct when you hear them coming and passing by.

PS, I really hope I didn't miss the point of your thread and question LOL

Planes and trains can be heard from several miles away especially late at night. Plane engines and train whistles will start off very low and then get louder as they get closer. If very close, they can almost shake my trailer. Then fade away as they get further away. Hope this makes sense.

I've had lightning hit close enough that it shook my trailer. It can sound like there's been an explosion right outside your door. Almost impossible to go back to bed after that. :Ohno:

I will try to do my best to explain how I perceive these sounds:

Bird singing: light musical tone. It reminds me of a twinkling star, only heard intead of seen.

in a crowded bar: Just really indistinct murmuring, kinda like static.

a jet flying above ya: almost like a huge rush of wind that almost picks you off your feet.

kids' laughter: probably the best sound- it's just the innocence and pure joy. It's a musical sound, almost cartoon-like.

lightning/thunder: Thunder can be anything from a low rumbling to a huge burst. The rumbling reminds me of a dog growling and the bigger claps are almost like an explosion. I'm sure you've probably been in a place where the thunder shakes the building.

waterfall: It can be a loud rushing sound, but not a disturbing sound.

doorbell: a short musical tone. But it can be an annoying sound if you don't feel like having visitors, lol.

riding on harley davidson: a lot of rumbling and it just feels like a powerful sound. If you have felt really strong vibrations(like a percussion massager), it's what I would compare it to.

Hmmm...I agree with Taylor. VERY hard. But lets add my opinion...

Bird singing: You pick a hard one first. Early morning birds singing, when there is minimal noise from the everyday world, is a beautiful sound. Maybe imagine it as being in a wide open field of grass and flowers. It is a tough one to explain. Crows, on the other hand, I just wanna shoot them. They are obnoxious. To me, imagine someone continously tapping you to get your attention, and you don't want to be bothered.

in a crowded bar: Picture the bar with everyone signing...same thing.

a jet flying above ya: Depends on how close it is. At the airport, it is not a pleasant sound at all, but you can hear and feel the power of it. When it is way up there, it is just a dull sound. Because of the delay in the sound, the sound is not coming from where the plane is, but where it was maybe 5 - 10 seconds ago...depends on how far it is.

kids' laughter: Innocence...that is all I can say.

lightning/thunder:Distant thunder, just a dul rumble. Image your pager going off on the table for a second. You feel that slight rumble of it. Close by, it can be explosive type of crack. You probally felt it before.

waterfall: Depends on the size. Niagara Falls, its an awesome steady rumble. Image being in a 40 MPH steady wind. Smaller ones, just less roar.

doorbell: I guess I can try to describe the simple "Ding Dong" doorbell. Maybe picture a 2 lights, red, blue, and they just flash once each.

riding on harley davidson.. what do u hear?: Never rode one, but hear one going by, I wonder how they can stand the open pipes. Sometimes, they wake me out of my sleep. If I ever found one and found where he lives, I will go by his house and find a way to wake him out of his sleep.

Spice, you picked a hard question for us hearies to answer. I hope I could help you a bit.

Bird singing: Small song birds, like goldfinches, are sweet gentle music. Cardinals are more abrupt, who chatter messages to their mates. Blue jays warn, "don't mess with me." Seagulls are demanding, screaming "feed me!" Blackbirds, magpies, and crows, are annoying loud braggers and big-mouths. Roosters are natural alarm clock announcers. Hawks and eagles announce "Take notice, I am here!" Owls hoot their mysterious "who, who". Doves giggle to themselves.

in a crowded bar: don't know; don't touch them. :dunno:

a jet flying above ya: A military fighter jet, flying beyond the speed of sound, you see it, and then afterwards, the loud sound follows, very powerful. Pow!
A large passenger or cargo jet rumbles, steady constant sound.

kids' laughter: Light, silly, happy. It just pops out without control.

lightning/thunder: Lightning has no sound unless it strikes something nearby. I have heard lightning "crack" when it hits a tree or house nearby, or "explode" when it hits an electric transformer. Thunder in the distance is a low rumble, like a warning growl from a dog. The closer the storm gets, the louder the thunder gets, until it becomes booms and crashes, like explosions. You can't see it like an explosion; you just hear it and feel the vibration.

waterfall: Big waterfalls are steady roars, like standing under the heaviest shower spray. Little waterfalls and fountains are soft, not constant. Like gentle spring rain. I have a little water fountain in my bedroom that helps me sleep peacefully; that is the feeling from a small waterfall, gentle peace.

doorbell: Depends. Some doorbells are musical, like tiny bells ringing. That is like, "hello, anyone home?" Some are harsh, like buzzers (like alarms). That is like, "hurry up and answer the door!"

riding on harley davidson.. what do u hear?: I haven't ridden a HD, just other motorcycles, but I have heard the HDs go past me. It is like thunder rolling across the pavement, with much power pushing it.

As you have noticed in these descriptions, for hearing people most sounds are more than just "noises". Sounds also represent feelings.

prostock19 said:
Spice, you picked a hard question for us hearies to answer. I hope I could help you a bit.

yes i know they are hard questions but that is why i asked... I just wanted to know how different they are to each hearing people and that way i can get some ideas of what it might be like to actual hear them. Thank you for trying I appeciate it.

Reba said:
Bird singing: Small song birds, like goldfinches, are sweet gentle music. Cardinals are more abrupt, who chatter messages to their mates. Blue jays warn, "don't mess with me." Seagulls are demanding, screaming "feed me!" Blackbirds, magpies, and crows, are annoying loud braggers and big-mouths. Roosters are natural alarm clock announcers. Hawks and eagles announce "Take notice, I am here!" Owls hoot their mysterious "who, who". Doves giggle to themselves.

I didnt know doves giggles.. that is new to me.

Reba said:
riding on harley davidson.. what do u hear?: I haven't ridden a HD, just other motorcycles, but I have heard the HDs go past me. It is like thunder rolling across the pavement, with much power pushing it.

what do u hear while u ride on motorcycle?

Reba said:
As you have noticed in these descriptions, for hearing people most sounds are more than just "noises". Sounds also represent feelings.

yes i do notice... thats why i wanted to know... cuz i realized that what i can see and waht i can feel also are represent stuff for us feelings, reactions, or just recongnization.... sounds has to be something like that too. Thank you for explaining those stuff there are new info i never knew

I just had to agree with Reba's statement about the doves giggling. I hadn't thought about it that way before, but it is very accurate.

Back