Any Vegan/Vegetarians Out There?

I am turning more and more vegan these days. Mother wants to stay vegetarian, and the rest want to go back to meat. Mom is required by her doctors, due to her specific terminal illness, to not give up milk, cheese, eggs, or seafood. Her last blood work came up with better numbers than before and so the doctor is very pleased. Now, after all this time, I am noticing that I have lost 10 pounds, but better yet, I have dropped 2 clothing sizes.

I just today found an old hippy days tofu cookbook in my collection. The recipes look great still. The recipe for the tofu bulgogi looks like one I would try again. I remember this was so delicious.

I have been checking out a bunch of vegan cookbooks from the library. I have a list of 4 now that I want to buy when I can. I have copied out a bunch of recipes and have them typed up in my computer to try when I can.

I need to figure out how I want to cook my Extra Firm chunked tofu this weekend. I bought the tub of already cubed tofu. Daughter did not like it at all. Hubby loved it, mother and I were happy with it and son felt it could be improved. My first attempt went okay, just not real good.

I have lots of my old vegetarian books. The titles are endless. My cookbook collections is somewhere between pride and embarrassment. My favorites were those by Anna Thomas, one called Burgers, Fries N Cinnamon Buns - so easy and very good, Laurels Kitchen, and anything by Karri Ann Allrich. Miss Allrich has the very best tofu salad sandwich recipe. Even my oldest carnivore fire fighter son loves them.
Oh, and not to forget Cranks! It was a popular vegetarian place back in the day and they put out a few awesome books. Their no knead wheat bread was amazing.
Of course there are many more healthy versions out there today, but some of the old ones are hard to beat for taste.

Does anybody have any idea on how long it really takes for a person's body to get used to not having meat and dairy?

I have been having a mix of good days, then days of nothing but gas, then the massive, but not runny bowels. Kind of like a cleaning out. Then it cycles back. Also, since I now drink my water with lime wedges squeezed in, I am clearing out all the retained fluids. Today is now day 25 of no meat. I think I might have slipped up 2-3 times during then, but not intentionally. It's when I have to take MIL somewhere and she goes out to eat afterward.

Does anybody have any idea on how long it really takes for a person's body to get used to not having meat and dairy?

I have been having a mix of good days, then days of nothing but gas, then the massive, but not runny bowels. Kind of like a cleaning out. Then it cycles back. Also, since I now drink my water with lime wedges squeezed in, I am clearing out all the retained fluids. Today is now day 25 of no meat. I think I might have slipped up 2-3 times during then, but not intentionally. It's when I have to take MIL somewhere and she goes out to eat afterward.

impossible to say since everybody's different.

True. I did figure that, but even a rough ballpark would be helpful.

Check nutrition and see how much fiber you have added. A month should be more than enough time, and I suspect you are eating far more fiber than you need.

Check nutrition and see how much fiber you have added. A month should be more than enough time, and I suspect you are eating far more fiber than you need.

I know I base most of my meals on the 1992 Vegetarian/Vegan Food Pyramid.

Vegan Food Pyramid

Also, my doctor suggested that I have about 32 grams of fiber daily. I know I get less than that. I had blood work and a UA done and everything was normal.

I know I base most of my meals on the 1992 Vegetarian/Vegan Food Pyramid.

Vegan Food Pyramid

Also, my doctor suggested that I have about 32 grams of fiber daily. I know I get less than that. I had blood work and a UA done and everything was normal.

Really? In that case I would urge you to get a colonoscopy. Those are symptoms of colon cancer also.

Of course it is on my mind right now since my father in law has it.

It's very normal for the body to go through weird changes as it switches from meat and dairy to vegan/vegetarian because many American meat eaters don't have very much fiber in their diet - every meat eater who switches to a vegetarian or vegan diet will find that at the beginning, they're gassy and their digestive system is in starts and spurts but once your body adjusts to the higher fiber content of your food, then it sorts itself out.

You're right in that your body is indeed going through a kind of cleanse. Everyone who switches to a vegan/vegetarian diet had the same experience as you in the beginning. Perfectly normal :)

And by the way, good job on sticking to it for a month! How do you feel healthwise nowadays?

It's very normal for the body to go through weird changes as it switches from meat and dairy to vegan/vegetarian because many American meat eaters don't have very much fiber in their diet - every meat eater who switches to a vegetarian or vegan diet will find that at the beginning, they're gassy and their digestive system is in starts and spurts but once your body adjusts to the higher fiber content of your food, then it sorts itself out.

You're right in that your body is indeed going through a kind of cleanse. Everyone who switches to a vegan/vegetarian diet had the same experience as you in the beginning. Perfectly normal :)

And by the way, good job on sticking to it for a month! How do you feel healthwise nowadays?

Thanks for that info. I figure I just needed to be a little more patient, but man oh man. Gotta take stock out in the company that makes Angel Soft tissue. :laugh2:

All in all, I have been feeling so much better. I sleep better, I have less headaches. My hair is falling out less. I have lost about 10-15 pounds but dropped 2 clothing sizes. Even my shoes are a little big. I have a lot more energy and I am much more clear-headed. The doctor wanted to do some blood work to compare to the blood work from 6 months ago, and everything is better. Even my blood pressure is in a more normal range and not bordering on high. He also ordered the testing for diabetes and I went through a day of the glucose colas and such and all is normal there. I used to be borderline diabetic. Family also tells me that I am no longer snoring. Doctor has said that in another 6-9 months, he wants to do all the testing for my fibromyalgia and see how it looks, since I am beginning to get the feeling back in my right leg a little. I know it's not the weight loss doing that, since I am still heavier than I was when I started having those problems. I can now lift both my feet and have been doing some leg lifts daily for the past week.

Thanks for that info. I figure I just needed to be a little more patient, but man oh man. Gotta take stock out in the company that makes Angel Soft tissue. :laugh2:

All in all, I have been feeling so much better. I sleep better, I have less headaches. My hair is falling out less. I have lost about 10-15 pounds but dropped 2 clothing sizes. Even my shoes are a little big. I have a lot more energy and I am much more clear-headed. The doctor wanted to do some blood work to compare to the blood work from 6 months ago, and everything is better. Even my blood pressure is in a more normal range and not bordering on high. He also ordered the testing for diabetes and I went through a day of the glucose colas and such and all is normal there. I used to be borderline diabetic. Family also tells me that I am no longer snoring. Doctor has said that in another 6-9 months, he wants to do all the testing for my fibromyalgia and see how it looks, since I am beginning to get the feeling back in my right leg a little. I know it's not the weight loss doing that, since I am still heavier than I was when I started having those problems. I can now lift both my feet and have been doing some leg lifts daily for the past week.

That's AMAZING! I'm really happy and excited for you that you've already seen such improvements in just one month.

Really? In that case I would urge you to get a colonoscopy. Those are symptoms of colon cancer also.

Of course it is on my mind right now since my father in law has it.

Really! I understand careful serious symptoms reason health issues!

Tis may be wrong - but I personally will never go in for a colonoscopy. I will have too many issues doing the "clean-out" due to my allergies. Also, the IV they give you, due to my allergies, they can't give me. They are having a hard time finding much of anything I can take for a lot of procedures, so therefore, I will just go without.

i cant bring myself to eat most meat. i am forced to consume it (#Y^Y#)

I bought some new soy alternatives, I can't wait to try them. Some by gardein, some by other companies, I am excited.

My Deaf Church is having a "cold" potluck lunch and the church is providing sandwiches. I know I will have to provide for myself due to the dairy allergies I have and the fact I can't have commercially processed bread.

What are some suggestions for a sandwich that is vegan without it being PB&J? I will also be making cole slaw to pass and make sure that I have a few other things in a small cooler for me.

:hmm: Kristina, what about an almond butter sandwich? if you're trying to do something "PB&J"-like....

or a eggless egg salad <tofu-based "egg salad"> sandwich - I honestly haven't actually made one but I've had them at my local health food co-op - the ones I've had were vegan <vegenaisse -sp- for mayo> and if you have a Whole Foods you can get to, you may very well come across one there, or you could look online for how to make one at home.

you could also use any of the soy-based meat sub.'s and even add some almond or soy cheese imitate a traditional sandwich of that combo.

or something with tomato, avocados, cheese sub.

walnut pate sandwich <another thing I've had at my co-op but not physically made>

you could also sub whole grain wraps for commercial bread, or sprouted bread for "regular" bread <lower-glycemic than typical bread>, or make something with lettuce wraps.

thank you so much. I may check Whole Foods (10 miles away) for something. You've given me good ideas.

Back